The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Help IDing guitar, please

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

swcblues
Posted 2003-10-06 5:53 PM (#203396)
Subject: Help IDing guitar, please

My parents bought me this guitar from a pawn shop a few years back as a college graduation present. I was wondering if anyone could help me get any more information on it, as curiosity has been getting the better of me ;) . The serial number is 244138.

Thanks

Aaron
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Patsbro
Posted 2003-10-06 6:09 PM (#203397 - in reply to #203396)
Subject: Re: Help IDing guitar, please

Aaron,

First thing you should do is contact your parents and thank them if you haven't already. What you have is a Custom Legend manufactured in 1981. Argueably the best traditional design (round sound hole) that the company produced at that time. Nicely carved bridge and rod cover and abalone inlays and purfling make it attractive. A deep bowl, "A" bracing and twenty + years of aging should make it sound great.

Patsbro
swcblues
Posted 2003-10-06 6:22 PM (#203398 - in reply to #203396)

Wow, thanks a lot for the quick reply. Now for the kicker . . . it's got some scratches and cracks, as can be seen in the pictures. Since the budget is really tight right now (read: need food, wife unhappy), how much should I be looking for if I put it up for sale? (Don't shoot me)

BTW: The pickup in it is not the original . . . I put in a fishman Active Matrix Natural I pickup because the one that came with it (who knows if that was the original) sounded pretty bad.
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-10-06 6:57 PM (#203399 - in reply to #203396)

Aaron,

It is a model #1619. It is an outstanding guitar. Not unusual to have a couple of finish cracks but if the cracks extend into or through the wood, it will seriously affect the value. Also, if you do not have the OHSC (original Ovation hard shell case), that will reduce the value. To me, the dark sunburst finish will show damage more than the natural finish.

Unfortunately, hard to say - if no finish damage, Orion Bluebook would indicate $650-800, if it included the OHSC.

I bought both of my #1619s this year on eBay - one with minor checking and another without any finish damage. So, what should it sell for? What will you get? Depends on how you sell it (i.e., eBay) and whether there is another one listed at the same time. Seems that when there is more than one, the other keeps the price lower as the buyers feel there is another chance if they don't get yours. Less "auction fever" when there are several listed. Also depends if buyer wants a great guitar to play or whether the buyer is a player/collector with higher standards as to condition.

I can only suggest what I feel I would be able to sell mine for - 1982 with minor checking for $500, 1978 with no damage $600-700. And, I may be a little optomistic - there are examples of this model selling as low as $350 even though in great shape. We'll see, as I will probably sell one of them in the next several months.

If there is more than very minor damage, probably $300-350, assuming OHSC and electronics work.

However, if a buyer wants it bad enough, then higher. Good luck.
swcblues
Posted 2003-10-06 7:15 PM (#203400 - in reply to #203396)

Looks like my parents got a little hosed, then, as they bought it for $1000 canadian (OHSC included) with some definite body cracking. Ah well, at least it still plays sweet.
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-10-06 7:23 PM (#203401 - in reply to #203396)

Although I understand your need to sell, I am sure any imperfections that it has doesn't affect the playability.

If you can, hold onto it...hard to find anything better.

If my wife was as critical as I am with guitars, I would have been "kicked to the curb" a long time ago.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)