The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Typhoon/Storm finish repair

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Tony Calman
Posted 2003-10-07 12:54 AM (#203364)
Subject: Typhoon/Storm finish repair

As I recently posted, got a 1968 Typhoon bass. Great condition, especially for a 35 yr old instrument.

However, has a small gouge (slightly less than 1 cm long) which may have been caused by a player's fingernail - gouge into wood.

Anyone know what the finish is, if there is a product at Stewmac.com or similar that could be used. Know it will still be visible but looking for something to fill and seal...maybe just seal.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-07 5:12 AM (#203365 - in reply to #203364)
Subject: Re: Typhoon/Storm finish repair

I wouldn't be concerned about a little character in your guitar but if it's really bugging you try a finish touch-up pen, kinda like a magic marker for guitars. The come in several common colours such as red, black, clear etc.
Fill the gouge with superglue and go over it with the pen. It won't be absoultely perfect, but then it wont cost as much as a complete refinish. I saw these pens on sale at the Gibson Bluegrass showcase in Nashville, & they are available via Stewmac

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Repair_and_touchup/Gibson_Lacquer_Touch-up_Pens.html
Beal
Posted 2003-10-07 7:01 AM (#203366 - in reply to #203364)

finish was straight polyester. Unless you got one of the reallllly early ones and it was finished in Europe when it was made and who knows what that was.
I always felt that after a certain time, 35 years counts, that what you have is important. If it's perfect, good, lucky you. If it's not then however close to perfect it is so much the better. Usually whatever we do to get it closer to perfect at this point will usually move the instrument further away from it. A little crack I'd leave. A fresh little crack that could grow into something biggeer I'd try to fix or stop where it is. If you do something to the instrument changing it it is preferable to have it not be permanent. Example, my old Nationals have no side markers on the fretboards. So I put a spot of white out (the liquid paper kind) on the 5th and 7th. On the white bound boards I put a spot with a sharpie pen. These help me alot (and I need it when I play) and will come off when the instrument eventually gets sold.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-10-07 8:21 AM (#203367 - in reply to #203364)

SHeesh... people pay "EXTRA" to have an instrument relic'd and Tony wants to "unrelic" one. :)

Seriously, I agree with Bill and Paul on this. No matter what the "fix" short of a complete refinish (and even that has it's downside) I'd leave it. If it's the mark I am thinking of, it's just worn down to the wood. I would wax it good and leave it be.
an4340
Posted 2003-10-07 9:00 AM (#203368 - in reply to #203364)

If it's just a dink do nothing.

I was in Umanof's about 4 months ago, and I asked the salesman to show me a tele, that was beaten and scarred, and I believed it wouldn't be worth more than $500. I held it in my hands, felt pretty good and was in excellent playing condition it just looked like hell. Sounded great. I asked him what he wanted for it. And he quoted me $3000! I laughed. Handed the tele back. So minor ding, don't worry. It's character.

Edited 10/7/03
Standingovation
Posted 2003-10-07 9:36 AM (#203369 - in reply to #203364)

I wouldn't touch it. Your guitar has 35 years of character ... and that's something you can't buy from StewMac for any price. Dave
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-10-07 1:07 PM (#203370 - in reply to #203364)

Thanks...

Last night I used a red "dry erase" marker to stain the small amount of bare wood...better than permanent as you can blend it, then waxed. Color blends great.

Didn't fill it in so it is still there but sealed, not obvious.

For a 35yr plus instrument, almost looks new...sounds great. Miles, again, thanks for a great sale and answering all of my questions. I am converted, trying to learn all I can of the Storm series.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)