The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Nice One Tony

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

willard
Posted 2003-10-07 2:09 PM (#203342)
Subject: Nice One Tony

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2561121385

Check it out. Seems like a crime to let such a fine guitar go so low. With 30 sec to go, my wife says, "Why don't you bid on it? You'll never find one at that price again!". Too late, and Tony scores
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-10-07 3:39 PM (#203343 - in reply to #203342)
Subject: Re: Nice One Tony

Bill - thanks.

I actually had a max bid a couple of hundred above final cost.

Best I can tell, lousy picture (looks more like nutmeg than dark sunburst), no reserve, and poor description on listing resulted in great deal.

This is the second Custom Legend "steal" from a pawn shop - maybe some are afraid of buying from a pawn shop.

I had the acoustic only version of this guitar - had to get one. Other than the older electronics, I have always felt that this is the finest 12-string you can buy.

I planning to slow down on purchases (well, I'm going to try.) Maybe not now but should sell one of my dark sunburst 1619's and the Viper bass I just recently got. Should, but then maybe not. Hard to part with. An addiction but running out of wall space.
Chuck (Retired Navy)
Posted 2003-10-07 5:33 PM (#203344 - in reply to #203342)

Ah yes, the old "clearing the wall space" problem. After hearing the sound of the Pacemaker, and comparing it to the Balladeer, makes me wish I could afford to upgrade the Balladeer to a 1619, or something similar. Amazing how much better the Pacemaker sounds. What would I have to upgrade to to get a similar sound in a 6 string to my Pacemaker?
TRboy
Posted 2003-10-07 7:58 PM (#203345 - in reply to #203342)

Tony,
Looks like a nice Custom 12-post us some pics when you get her, in fact posts us some pics of all your other O's you've acquired lately!!!
. . . .
Also I would like to see pics from some of our other members if possible especially members with screen names that start with X,Y,or Z so that me and Bill (willard) can get off the bottom of the list :D (did Ovation ever make a xylophone?? :rolleyes: )
. . . .

Mike :cool:
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-07 8:07 PM (#203346 - in reply to #203342)

Chuck, I don't think it's fair to compare a 6 string to a 12, they really are completely different instruments. The Pacemaker was the least expensive 12-string produced by Ovation at at that time, and in terms of materials, wood grades & decoration was pretty much the 12-string equivalent of a Balladeer of the same era.
Bradley
Posted 2003-10-07 8:43 PM (#203347 - in reply to #203342)

Under $400 for a 12-string Custom Legend?

No wonder I couldn't sell my Glen Campbell 12-string.

Bradley
TRboy
Posted 2003-10-07 8:50 PM (#203348 - in reply to #203342)

I know what you mean Bradley, I feel your fustration bro.!!
. . . .

xnoel
Posted 2003-10-07 9:31 PM (#203349 - in reply to #203342)

Good score Tony! I actually went by the pawn shop that had it, about noon today. (I live about 30 miles from Wichita Falls and had to be there on other business) The guy I talked to said it was in the back. He didn't seem to want to get it out so I looked at a GC they had hanging and then left. Enjoy!
TRboy
Posted 2003-10-07 9:37 PM (#203350 - in reply to #203342)

Hello xnoel, Got any pics of your Ovations you can post?......... :D
. . . .

xnoel
Posted 2003-10-07 9:44 PM (#203351 - in reply to #203342)

Mike, thanks for asking.
Unfortunatly I have only one O and no digital camera. But my Legend is a beauty. Someone really took care of it before I got it. No nicks, dings, etc. Must have a 12 string next.
I'll try to get one of my friends with a digital to take some pictures.

Noel
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-10-07 9:55 PM (#203352 - in reply to #203342)

That 12 string (assuming it is in the condition represented) should have sold for at least $800. I bought a #6759 ebony 12string from 2000 for $650. Unlike the one I got today, the #6759 has the updated electronics. Even the fact that it was used on the Elton John Tour didn't even affect the price.

I do think we will see a turnaround in a couple of years...eBay has turned the musical instrument world upside down. Before eBay, very difficult for the buyer to find these guitars or for a seller to find buyers. For a used guitar, the guitar store is a very inefficient way to sell. Most Ovations I see in stores are low-end and have been hanging around for awhile.

Too many guitars on the internet drive down the price...2 Viper bass in one week - sure, great deals. For guitar manufacturers such as Ovation, must be tough when quality used instruments are selling so low. Heck, you can buy an older, excellent condition top of the line guitar for less than a new low-end guitar. Wonder how many OFC members will bring NEW guitars to the next tour...pictures of the last tour show a number of the older brown cases.

Heck, even new guitars are often discounted up to 40% by stores such as GuitarTrader or Music123.

Be interesting to see where this all goes. Maybe the lower cost will spur a greater interest in guitar playing, reduced inventory of older guitars over the next several years will result in new guitar sales. Not much more guitar manufacturers can do - they've moved offshore, gone to laminate, etc. Good hands-on quality construction and customer service, assuming the companies can hold on, may be the only solution. However, even Ovation's top of the line is dependent on dealers (in stores and internet.) Even the top guitar manufacturer can be short-changed by the distribution network.

Sorry, I know I am preaching to the choir.

I must admit that I am attracted to the Custom Legend 6 and 12-strings as they are the only Ovation's that I have experience with. I have only "strummed" an Adamas for a couple of minutes.

Remeber, a good guitarist can make almost any guitar sing...I need the best I can get to offset my limited ability.

Will upload photos of the guitars as soon as I get the 12-string.
Chuck (Retired Navy)
Posted 2003-10-08 4:16 PM (#203353 - in reply to #203342)

Chuck, I don't think it's fair to compare a 6 string to a 12, they really are completely different instruments. The Pacemaker was the least expensive 12-string produced by Ovation at at that time, and in terms of materials, wood grades & decoration was pretty much the 12-string equivalent of a Balladeer of the same era.

Paul, I realize that they are different. What I have found is that the Pacemaker has a ring to it that the Balladeer just doesn't have. It doesn't matter whether I am picking or strumming, the Pacemaker has a better quality sound. The Pacemaker has a fuller sound due to the 12 strings. I am not sure if it is because of the age of the Pacemaker, or just better quality. Maybe this Pacemaker was one that came out better than the others. Any way it is sliced, I still would like to find a 6 string with a similar ring tone to it. :)
cliff
Posted 2003-10-08 4:40 PM (#203354 - in reply to #203342)

You also have to take into consideration that the Pacemaker is 12 frets clear of the body and has a different neck break angle with the slotted head.

Hey! I know!! . . . .

. . . go out and get yerself a new Folklore Deluxe!!!

(You deserve it!!)
Chuck (Retired Navy)
Posted 2003-10-08 5:30 PM (#203355 - in reply to #203342)

Hey! I know!! . . . .

. . . go out and get yerself a new Folklore Deluxe!!!

Now I have to go figure out just what a Folklore Deluxe is and how much one would cost me. Anyone have a spare they can loan me for a while? :)
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-10-08 5:53 PM (#203356 - in reply to #203342)

Chuck:

Last year, in response to this board, Ovation made 50 Folklore Deluxes. Deep body, 12 fret slotheads. Look in StandingOvations pictures and you'll see one. I played his earlier this year and can tell you that it's one of the finest sounding acoustic guitars, of any manufacturer, that I've ever played.

Ovation, in my opinion, charged too much for it, at almost 2 grand. They show up very occassionally on ebay and command around $1200.
Chuck (Retired Navy)
Posted 2003-10-08 6:31 PM (#203357 - in reply to #203342)

Ouch, 2 grand for new, $1200 used on Ebay. I think I will just have to keep my Balladeer for a while longer. The big transition from Navy life to Civilian life is just 6 months away. Have to save as many pennies as possible for the change, and the subsequent house purchase. Anyone know of a good job in the south St. Louis area or on the nearby Illinois side? A new career is coming up foast for me.
Standingovation
Posted 2003-10-08 10:24 PM (#203358 - in reply to #203342)

Paul, Thanks for the nice words about my Folklore Deluxe. I'm still proud as hell of that guitar and everyone who hears it has a similar opinion as yours. Some think it's ugly. Some think it's uncomfortable (wide neck, deep bowl). But everyone agrees that the acoustic sound is among the best Ovation has ever done. Dave
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-09 1:52 AM (#203359 - in reply to #203342)

Tony

That is the 12 string I would like to own, what a price! I could have afforded that one maybe.

Bailey
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-10-09 1:29 PM (#203360 - in reply to #203342)

Been searching for this one for awhile - last one on eBay a couple of months was pulled by the seller. Was getting frustrated...seems not many dark sunburst, deep bowl, center hole, non cutaway 12's out there (or that anyone wants to sell.)

Of the Ovations I have now...finally have the three that I will always keep - the dark sunburst CL #1619 6-string, the #1659 CL dark sunburst 12-string coming in Saturday, and the Typhoon bass, Oops, forgot the #4861 ebony shallow bowl Balladeer (my wife's.)

Others - are treasured and I will probably keep but the other #1619, a 6759 12-string, and the Viper bass - who knows...at least I have the "wants v. needs" worked out.

As a "want", looking for the 12-string Hurricane (asked Miles to help me find one) and maybe a 12-string Adamas - all I have seen are Melissa Etheridge signature. Are there any non signature Adamas 12's - and advice on what I should look for?
Standingovation
Posted 2003-10-09 6:00 PM (#203361 - in reply to #203342)

Tony - email me if you're serious about getting a Hurricane 12-string. I have three and would be interested in selling two of them. I have a sunburst, red, and nutmeg. I think photos are in the gallery. Dave
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-10-11 10:17 PM (#203362 - in reply to #203342)

The Custom Legend #1659, ser no 321818 (?1985-1986 dark sunburst) arrived today.

Even though the strings are almost black with age...it has the amazing sound of the 1982 that I used to have. Crisp, almost harpsochordic, strong bass. After cleaning and waxing, will put on the Adamas 1616 (light phospher bronze.) The finish is near-new, no cracks, chips, or checking. Even the case is great (one clasp broken but what the heck.)

It reminds me that the deep bowl #1659 has, in my opinion, the finest 12-string sound of any that I have tried (to include my #6759 or a couple of Adamas that I tried.) I paid less than $430 including shipping. One third of the original sale price.

Seriously recommend considering the #1619 (6-string) or #1659 (12-string) - comes on eBay occassionally. This and one of my #1619's will never be for sale as long as I can play. Don't know of a better value - won't ever be this good of a deal - for a player or collector.
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-12 1:44 AM (#203363 - in reply to #203342)

Tony

You have earned my undying complete and unending ENVY. Enjoy that guitar knowing that there are some who are just fuming with indignation. That looked like a great guitar, and I am, in reality, happy to hear that it is a great guitar. Great price too.

Bailey :D
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)