The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
All Wet - Be Prepared

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Paul Wag
Posted 2003-10-07 4:20 PM (#203334)
Subject: All Wet - Be Prepared

Last Saturday the band had a gig playing a private party for some friends. Nice house with a big driveway, where we set up. Started around 7:30 - had some nice folks listening and clapping and some toddlers dancing around. Played for an hour and took a short break and started into the second set (goofy version of Yer Birthday as it was the host's 40th birthday bash). About halfway through the song a very light sprinkle starts, sky wasn't very threatening, looked like it was going to stop right away. It didn't. Started raining hard! Thanks to our hosts hauling some tarps out of the garage and some of the tablecloths on some tables they had on the driveway and Bill the drummer's tarp, we got everything covered up. In between heavy rain we hauled instruments and amps into the garage and proceeded to dry things off.

It only rained in a small part of Tarrant county that night - the part we were in. We got all wet, had a shot of Tequilia and a couple more brews and got paid.

Nothing was seriously damaged - my Legend and mandolin got a small amount of rain on it, just dried them off and left the cases open all night when I got home.

Lesson: for outside gigs check Intellicast radar before the gig and bring tarps or rent a tent/awning!!!
:D
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-10-07 4:45 PM (#203335 - in reply to #203334)
Subject: Re: All Wet - Be Prepared

I got the soggy, windswept blues...ooh, ohh

Sorry, couldn't resist (now you see why I don't write songs.

In all seriousness, electricity and water - dangerous.
cliff
Posted 2003-10-07 5:12 PM (#203336 - in reply to #203334)

Usually whenever there's even slight CHANCE of rain, we'll have a predetermined contingency. As soon as somebody says "shut it down", the power goes off - first priority. Second priority is that each person is responsible to get their instrument in a safe place. Then, each person we have available has an assigned piece of equipment that they're responsible for getting the cables out of and into safety. The cables are the last to go.
It eliminates everybody running around in a panic and getting things safe quicker.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-07 5:44 PM (#203337 - in reply to #203334)

You should try festival season in the UK. Because of the unpredictability of British weather I made a decision a while ago that if there's the slightest hint of rain and the stage isn't covered, we wont play.

It's not just rain that's the problem, I did an outdoor gig in late July (peak of Brit summertime) & it was so cold by 10:00pm we had to have propane patio heaters on stage.

I've got a great video tape of John Hiatt playing a festival in Germany. The stage is undercover and it's pissing down, the camera pans out to the audience and there's maybe 25 miserable-looking very wet Germans. The joy of outdoor gigs.
Nils
Posted 2003-10-07 9:44 PM (#203338 - in reply to #203334)

Originally posted by Paul Templeman:
You should try festival season in the UK. Because of the unpredictability of British weather...

Unpredictability of British weather? You some days it *doesn't* rain? :)

/\/\/
Paul Wag
Posted 2003-10-07 11:15 PM (#203339 - in reply to #203334)

cliff,

Your always right on with advice on playing gigs, appreciate all the wisdom, I'm passing this plan on to the bandmates.

Thanks, dude...
:cool:
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-10-07 11:49 PM (#203340 - in reply to #203334)

Used to do a lot of outdoor parties in Hawaii. The rule was then the singer couldn't hold the mic anymore and his lips were bleeding from getting shocked it was time to pack it in. Rain is one thing, but if you really want some fun pour a Bud into the top of an old Fender 300 amp head. Nice flames, sparks, sound effects... crowd went wild... The resultant new hairdo was pretty cool too.
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-08 1:54 AM (#203341 - in reply to #203334)

We used to play on top of a mountain in Southern CA at a trailer park. The worst was when the lightning was striking all around.

Bailey (if I move 2 feet to the right maybe the banjo player will get it)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)