The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New Ovation Ad

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Bailey
Posted 2003-10-08 2:03 AM (#203275)
Subject: New Ovation Ad

Just got my new Guitar Player Mag and noticed a new Ovation ad on the back cover. It emphasized the electric ability of the Ovation acoustic guitar, something we have pounded on forever, might they be listening to us?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2003-10-08 7:36 AM (#203276 - in reply to #203275)
Subject: Re: New Ovation Ad

believe me guys they read this board and respond to it
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-10-08 7:40 AM (#203277 - in reply to #203275)

Which reminds me, in the latest issue of Acoustic Guitar magazine, there was an ad for Adamas guitars. Except that I couldn't figure out what the ad was supposed to be saying. I believe that it had a picture of a Q with a little circle on it and it said "Click Here". It just struck me as odd.

Anybody else see it?
Englishplayer
Posted 2003-10-08 7:48 AM (#203278 - in reply to #203275)

Yes, I saw it. It violates a major rule of advertising, your eyes skip right over the add without noticing it. In the Acoustic Guitar ad it's black and white, has the Q in the middle, and just about no one will get the point. The ad does not stand out at all. I wouldn't think this is going to be effective.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-08 8:43 AM (#203279 - in reply to #203275)

We've been over this ground in the past but it would be a good idea if maybe they tried to emphasise the acoustic performance of the guitars for a change. Everyone knows Ovations are great plugged-in and that has been the emphasis of the advertising for years, but most people dismiss Ovations for their straight acoustic sound.

In the "Gibson's Fabulous FlatTop Guitars" book the writer discusses the success of Ovation as the reason for the introduction of Gibson's short-lived plastic-backed J25. According to this writer Ovation guitars record well & amplify well "because they lack overtones, sustain & bass-response" That certainly does not describe any of my Ovations. This attitude to the acoustic performance of Ovations is rife throughout the industry and is a myth that marketing seem to have given up on trying to debunk
Beal
Posted 2003-10-08 4:37 PM (#203280 - in reply to #203275)

A very good idea to focus on "the acoustic aspects of the sound" but it's not likely to happen. I don't really want to get started on this again, my wife told me dinner was in an hour so there's not time. Sufice it to say there are some at KMC with bad cases of eyerectus and nothing will change till that is fixed.
alpep
Posted 2003-10-08 8:11 PM (#203281 - in reply to #203275)

CWK
I think it the next genreation of stuff will knock out a bunch of people. It is absolutely a step in the right direction.

Paul
The reason for many producers loving gibson flat tops to record is because they lack projection and definition and have horrible bass response that way you can fix it all in the mix. The guy just got his companies mixed up.
the j 45 has to be one of the least sonically appealling acoustic guitar ever made.
take the everly bros j 200 put an acre of pickguard and glue it to the top and expect it to resonate NOT

don't get me started I just finished my dinner and am trying to keep it down!
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2003-10-08 9:39 PM (#203282 - in reply to #203275)

Al, can you tell us when the next generation models from Ovation will be out?
alpep
Posted 2003-10-08 10:39 PM (#203283 - in reply to #203275)

So far I probably have said too much.

When I get permission to talk I will but not sooner.

Ask CWK he does not work for the company.
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-09 1:35 AM (#203284 - in reply to #203275)

Does anybody here know anybody under 30 that plays an acoustic guitar without plugging it in? My grandson, home on leave with money burning a hole in his pocket, bought an acoustic and had a bridge pickup installed before he took it home. I had nothing to do with it and won't mention the brand or style. Takamine, Martin, Yamaha, yada, yada, yada... all have those slider looking controls on the upper bout. An acoustic session with a modern band always shows cords leading from the "acoustics" to the amps on stage. I agree that the true acoustic ability of the Ovations would be a great thing to promote, but all of us old real acoustic players have bought just about every guitar we can afford, and are more likely to buy a "seasoned" Ovation off of Ebay, than a new one from the factory. An "acoustic" today is, unfortunately, plugged into an amp.

Bailey
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-09 4:56 AM (#203285 - in reply to #203275)

I know dozens of players under 30 who use acoustic guitars without amplification. For performance 99% of acoustic guitars will be plugged in but for recording the oposite is true. The vast majority of producers, engineers and for that matter, artists prefer mikes over pickups, so the acoustic performance of the guitars is very relevant, regardless of the age of the user.
Dan Krah
Posted 2003-10-09 10:48 AM (#203286 - in reply to #203275)

I'm under 30 and love playing unplugged. Yes, for performance I have to plug in, but I think you guys are only half right about the new Ovations.

I have a 1617 about 20 years old that I love, but my favorite guitar is my 2001 Legend 1866-5 12 string. It sounds great unplugged, even with a shallow bowl.

Speaking of which, Alpep, I'm the one who was interested in the Tangents and eventually bought a Elite-t. I changed my mind about the T, Because I'm still wondering about the Legend 1867
6 string just like my 1866. I notice you have a 1867-5 (exactly the one I'm looking for) in your shop and wondered how you think the sound compares. I've played the cherry one and It had a crappy tone.

You would think that in the live music capitol of the world, there would be a better selection of guitars, but it seems everyone in Austin buys cheap, crappy guitars... so thats all the stores are stocking.
biglouis
Posted 2003-10-09 11:09 AM (#203287 - in reply to #203275)

Don't plug it in at all!

I think I maybe once plugged in my Elite Special and so far I've never plugged in my Adamas II.

Why have I never plugged them in? I bought them because they were GREAT sounding acoustic guitars. I didn't care about whether they could be amplified or not.

Unless you are a working musician, I've never understood the thrill of sitting by your fireside killing the irreplaceable nerve ends in your ears and annoying the neighbours by playing your acoustic amplified!

There again, I may just be an old f*rt!

BL
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-09 11:24 AM (#203288 - in reply to #203275)

I with big L on that. The only time I plug in is when I play live, and when I record it's always mikes. Come to think of it, between gigging, recording, teaching & attempting to have a life, I rarely pick up a guitar and play just for the fun of it.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-10-09 11:45 AM (#203289 - in reply to #203275)

I plug in when I have to, but I didn't buy any of my Ovation acoustics just so that I could plug them in. I bought them all because they sounded so good unplugged.

And Paul T., you need to play more just for the hell of it around your house. Does the name Deluxe Balladeer mean anything to you?
stonebobbo
Posted 2003-10-09 12:02 PM (#203290 - in reply to #203275)

My son, who is 17, plays a Gibson J200. It is fully acoustic, non-cutaway. He plays it live by miking it, although the sound does leave something to be desired. He got this guitar for the sound, as he plays a lot of Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, and other rockabilly style tunes. He also mikes it when he records. For me, my Ovations with pickups are my choice, for him, the sound of his fully acoustic big box is his choice. Go figure. Of course, we are pretty much the strange family that lives at the end of the cul-de-sac.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-09 6:36 PM (#203291 - in reply to #203275)

Paul, my guitars including the DB, now it's back & fixed, get played all the time, it's how I make my living. I just meant that when I'm not working I don't play'em for fun, but I know I should.

Now I know this is a cheap shot, which deserves an equally cheap response, but how often do you go investigate somebody just for fun?
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-10-09 9:30 PM (#203292 - in reply to #203275)

Equally cheap shot ---

Well, I did check you out before you came out here. Just kidding. Good point.
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-10 1:34 AM (#203293 - in reply to #203275)

Stonebobbo

You must have raised that 17 year old right, as he knows good music, or is he rebelling from whatever his dad plays? I am 100% for acoustic playing and recording should be done that way if possible. IMHO, only a sold body should be plugged in, but if you have to, Ovation has always had the best acoustic electrics.

Bailey
TheEliteist
Posted 2003-10-10 10:07 AM (#203294 - in reply to #203275)

Very good point PT! I would hate to be a Gynecologist for the same reason... :eek:

I have a small amp, but very seldom "plug it in", It seems every time I do, the cows come in and pee on my door step, then just stand there... I wonder if they are trying to tell me something... :confused:

At least the coyotes don't howl at me!

Dale
stonebobbo
Posted 2003-10-10 3:31 PM (#203295 - in reply to #203275)

Bailey ... thanks for the kind words. My son's actually coming around more to what Dad plays rather than rebelling -- that happened earlier in his development when everything was mashing power chords with the amplifier turned to 12. Once he became more proficient at playing, he started paying more attention to tone and technique. Once he got to that stage, he started playing my Ovations, but then played the J200 and pronounced it the perfect guitar for his sound. So that was that. Methinks he also bought it based on the way it looked, but we all rationalize!

His choice of music is really his own ... and is his own way of rebelling against popular culture today ... he and his circle of friends treasure the life and times of the 50's and embrace all things "greaser". Of course, with the whole look going, the leather jackets and levi's and Elvis sneer, a lot of folks haved the mistaken impression that he's a juvenile thug. We know otherwise.

He's only seventeen, so time will change him, but he's on solid footing and makes it easier on his Mom and I to leave him on his own at school in Laramie, WY. I only wish today's generation was not so tattoo crazy ... seems to be really over the top.
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-11 2:03 AM (#203296 - in reply to #203275)

Stonebobbo

I rased two boys and they are in their 40's and doing fine. I can remember some of their phases and stages, but they did play in my blugrass band as well. I would be more concerned if they weren't going through some type thing, and, again, they are choosing some good music in my estimation. How about Buck Owens, do they do any of that, or are they Sun Records fans only?

Bailey
biglouis
Posted 2003-10-11 3:41 AM (#203297 - in reply to #203275)

This is sorta relevant so I'll post it anyway.

Paul T may remember that back in the 70s the BBC in the UK had a series of programs called "In Concert" , which was a bit like MTV Unplugged.

Anyway, there was a Joni Mitchell retrospective a few weeks ago on BBC4 and part of the evening was her "In Concert" gig recorded from around 1972-3 (I think).

It was a great concert but what struck me immediately was how thin and weak her guitar, a Martin D-thirty-or-fourty-something sounded because the only amplification/recording was a single boom mic aimed approximately at the soundhole. As dear old Joni bopped around to big yellow taxi the sound from the guitar sorta came in waves!

Now, I know that one excuse could be that the recording was thirty years old but in fact the sound was otherwise excellent, for example, when she was playing the piano.

I realised we have all gotten used to really nice concert amplification of acoustic guitars thanks to internal pick-ups and the like. I agree about the use of external mics for recording, and I stand by my comment about the unecessarily damaging your ears by amplifying your acoustic at home but for concert work it is now pretty much essential.

BL
Beal
Posted 2003-10-11 8:15 AM (#203298 - in reply to #203275)

Yes, we showed the world that you have to be plugged in to sound good on stage back in the 70's.

As Al mentioned there are some big things coming with the Elecks Series. They've redone the bracing and tops, the necks, gone to a T-rod thank God, changed the construction and assembly methods. They sound really good, play and feel great. There's alot more too.

The opportunity is there and the time is right to reestablish Ovation as a leader of ACOUSTIC guitars again. (I say acoustic because all acoustics in this class have electronics)

This is the biggest and best opportunity that the company has had in perhaps 20 years. (And now a message to management, DON'T FUCK IT UP!!!!!) I would be so happy if a year or two from now everything has been introduced, properly promoted and wildly successful and the factory is busy on phase two of the Elecks. Wouldn't it be nice for the critics to have no material? Don't give them any!
alpep
Posted 2003-10-11 9:13 AM (#203299 - in reply to #203275)

Note to management.
Can I now reveal all the cool stuff that is happening since CWK let some of the cats out of the bag?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)