The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Future use of CD's in light of MP3 and copying

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

an4340
Posted 2003-10-09 12:50 PM (#203256)
Subject: Future use of CD's in light of MP3 and copying

Here's a little squib from David Pogue's (He works for the NYT's) weekly email on electronics. My friend's band, Pork Pie Tribe, from Sarasota, started doing this but they broke up. Anyway, at least it's optimistic, and will encourage more live music.

Finally, this intriguing note arrived from a guy who's both a software engineer and a musician in two bands:
"It's my belief that music CD's will soon be given away free. The CD will become promotional material to advertise a band's live shows and merchandise for sale. Space inside the
CD cover could even be sold for advertising.

"This will have several results: First, bands will reduce the cost of producing a CD by making use of the incredible capabilities of your average digital recording system to
avoid the ridiculous hourly prices that professional recording studios charge. (Next week my band is doing this very thing.) Self-production will become the norm.

"Second, CD's will become shorter, more focused and released more frequently. ('See us on tour next month at these locations! Hear these four songs performed live!') Third, bands will perform live far more often and venues for live
music will see a resurgence in popularity."

From your mouth to the RIAA's ear, buddy.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
an4340
Posted 2003-10-09 1:26 PM (#203257 - in reply to #203256)
Subject: Re: Future use of CD's in light of MP3 and copying

let me add, they broke up because some of the band members didn't want to tour out of florida. it had nothing to do with the cds. I guess as you get older you want to be closer to home.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-10-09 1:55 PM (#203258 - in reply to #203256)

I guess all I ask is "where have you been?" I guess the key phrase would "the norm" because advert CD's have been around for awhile. I like the ones that are "credit card" sized. Great for a 3-song demo with some artwork and contact info.

Miles
an4340
Posted 2003-10-09 2:46 PM (#203259 - in reply to #203256)

I guess I have to say that I've seen them before, but David Pogue hadn't, and I wanted to sound an optimistic note about music on the bulletin board and the meaning of life and why we are on earth is ... oh, gotta go, will have to post that later.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)