The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Someone explain to me the scam here!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

samova
Posted 2003-10-12 9:31 PM (#203159)
Subject: Someone explain to me the scam here!

OK,listen to this and someone explain to me where the scam is here? I listed a Taylor guitar that i just got in a sweet deal(along with a strat) and i posted it on Harmony central to sell..I get a e-mail from the UK from someone who wants to buy it.Here where it gets good..The guy will pay full price plus shipping but want a client of his in the U.S. to send me a cashiers check for $4000.The Taylor guitar is only $750..He tells me(a total stranger)to keep the $750 plus shipping and then western union him the balance..Well, you ask? Why doesnt the client of his send me the $750 and then mail him the balance...Thats my question to him as well.No e-mail yet..OK ,wheres the scam here? I would never ship a guitar before funds clear??
Anyone?Anyone?Feris Bueler?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Todd G.
Posted 2003-10-12 10:22 PM (#203160 - in reply to #203159)
Subject: Re: Someone explain to me the scam here!

I picked up a pamphlet while at my bank getting a cashier's check to pay for my Adamas a few weeks back. The latest scam is that someone will send you a cashier's check for more than the amount (instead of just cutting one for the exact amount), you then cash a bogus check (if the bank doesn't notice it), "keep" the price of your guitar, send the cash difference (probably in the form of a legitimate cashier's check) along with your merchandise. When your bank figures it out, they take away what you sold your guitar for. This literature did mention the fact that your money will, in all likelihood, wind up in another country.

In essence, you've paid the "buyer" of your guitar to take it off your hands. The explanation is somewhat more detailed than what I've given you, but I can find that brochure and quote it better for you. Or you can go to your bank and ask them about it. Watch your back.

Someone has seen "Catch Me If You Can" too many times to think of this.

Hope this helps.

Todd
Todd G.
Posted 2003-10-12 10:31 PM (#203161 - in reply to #203159)

Try this link. It may help somewhat.

http://www.silverlakebank.com/NEWSLETTER/page3.html

Todd
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-10-12 11:37 PM (#203162 - in reply to #203159)

A far simpler scam...the buyer gets a money order from a bank, forwards it to the seller, then goes back to the bank and claims it was lost or stolen. He presents he receipt and is refunded his money.

Not all banks...but this is true of Wells Fargo money orders. A cashiers check from Wells Fargo is fine.

This happened to me. Individual paid for a court ordered Anger Management Program. As it was a money order, my facilitator issued the Certificate of Completion. The individual quickly took his certificate to court. Even though the individual was ordered to the program by the court, he was on summary probation to the court, and he commited fraud the court refused to followup and either refer to City Attorney or issue a bench warrant. Wells Fargo didn't care.

Yes, it made me angry and a "time out" didn't help.

How hard do you think it would be to get your guitar or your money back?
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-13 1:01 AM (#203163 - in reply to #203159)

This is super good information, and I think we should keep this thread in play for a while in the hope that many read it.
samova
Posted 2003-10-13 6:09 AM (#203164 - in reply to #203159)

Thanks for the great info everyone..I had no plans to ever send the guitar until three to four weeks past and the money had cleared..I knew it was a scam but could not figure out how it played out.I sent this guy an e-mail telling him to " #@!$%^& himself"..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)