The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
wet leaves

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

cliff
Posted 2003-10-13 10:27 AM (#203137)
Subject: wet leaves

Autumn in New Jersey.

Now despite the "bad rap" that NJ constantly gets, the vast majority of it is really quite pretty. From the vast expanses of pretty beaches in the Summer, to the picturesque mountains and lakes (where I live) in the Fall. Quite nice.

Now, for some strange reason, 'round this time every year, New Jerseyans (and some New Yawkers) get this bizzare migratory impulse to head "North" and "see the fall colors'. Now mind you, we HAVE trees (with leaves) of our OWN, and they are quite beautiful when they change, and all we really have to do is WAIT another week or two and we can enjoy them in all their splendor, but NO!, there is something engrained in our DNA that compels us to make that annual "Scenic Sunday Drive to New England".

So . . . after four hours of sleep after the Sat. nite gig, with mug o' caffeine in one hand and a big CD wallet under the other arm, Jeanette pours me into the Cruiser for a day of "leaf peeping". After a nice drive through Northern NJ and parts of NY state, we stop for lunch and meet this really nice couple in a quaint CT town.

Now the guy I can't quite figure out. He said he used to run some gas station in Florida, but he doesn't do it any more. Now he has SOMETHING to do with golf courses, but I couldn't get the whole story as the more he talked about golf, the more his eyes glazed over and he just drifted off. His wife could be summed up in two words: "Absolute Sweetheart". A pure joy.

Turns out that this guy also plays guitar.
FINALLY!! . . . a topic I could relate to!
After much discussion of guitars, guitarists, and the music business in general over lunch, they graciously invited us to their home.

Now this guy lives at the very absolute TOP of a mountain and spends his time collecting and noodling with a collection of some of the most strangest instruments I'd ever seen. Now, . . he DID have a couple of REALLY nice Ovation roundbacks . . . but the vast majority of his collection were these big ol' METAL things that he had hanging all over the walls like those old colonial "bed warmers". And talk about LOUD!! Not a saddle pickup or a pre-amp to be had, but these things just filled the whole house with big, loud, BALLSY bell-like tones!
The "girls" sat in the living room playing with the "Security System" (a Bassett Hound that sleeps in front of the door to trip you if you tried to sneak in . . . . and a pair of eyes that'll steal your heart) while he and I randomly pulled these metal beasts off the walls and noodled away. He even had ONE that was a strange amalgam of guitar and various "trim" parts of a '59 Caddy (and weighs about as much as the engine block of the same)!
Coincidentally I had my SlotHead with me, and as he played it he said that the guitar was "strangely familiar" but was obscured by about 28 years of time (I personally think that the dude just spent too much time at the "gas pumps :-)

Weather-wise, the "leaf-peeping" aspect of the trip was hindered by passing clouds, mist, fog & showers, but the company MORE than made up for it.

Even though this cat had some rather "strange" tastes in guitars, I don't think that I could've found a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Nice folks (and dog)!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Stevechapman
Posted 2003-10-13 10:43 AM (#203138 - in reply to #203137)
Subject: Re: wet leaves

Cliff,
Great Story!Is it just me or does the other guy look strangely familiar? CWK2??Nahh Could'nt be... I must be Lost in a haze of my own after looking at The Adamas Slothead!
Then again......
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-10-13 10:52 AM (#203139 - in reply to #203137)

You mean there are people in that picture??? All I saw was the slothead.
cliff
Posted 2003-10-13 10:54 AM (#203140 - in reply to #203137)

"CWK2" sounds like one o' them CB-Radio, "ten-four, g'buddy" call signs.

Nah, this guy was just a really good guitar player, and an all-around nice guy.
cliff
Posted 2003-10-13 11:02 AM (#203141 - in reply to #203137)

Moody;

I NEVER thought that I'd EVER say this, but:

". . . SCREW the SlotHead! . . ."

That "Caddy" machine playin' behind it is pure TITS!!!!

In all honesty:
When "my friend" there sat in his Pick n' Glide Chair playing the SlotHead, he looked at it for a while, looked up at me and said with a smile ". . It just doesn't sound like ANYTHING else! . ."

yeahbuddy!!
willard
Posted 2003-10-13 12:01 PM (#203142 - in reply to #203137)

Please excuse my ignorance on this as well as many other topics, but what's with the metal guitars?
alpep
Posted 2003-10-13 12:03 PM (#203143 - in reply to #203137)

Cliff
I have a ton of beautiful leaves in my yard. The tradition is to have friends come over and assemble them in large piles in front of my house. I will expect you on Sunday!!
cliff
Posted 2003-10-13 12:15 PM (#203144 - in reply to #203137)

Y'know Al, if I wasn't gonna be in Colorado on Sunday (they got Aspens out there!), I'd GLADLY come over and help with the "piling" project!!

Maybe next Fall?!?!?

(Remember the days when you used to be able to rake 'em into a big pile and BURN 'em?)
cliff
Posted 2003-10-13 12:26 PM (#203145 - in reply to #203137)

". . Please excuse my ignorance on this as well as many other topics, but what's with the metal guitars? . ."

It's all about "SOUL".
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-13 12:27 PM (#203146 - in reply to #203137)

Willard, they're National resonophonics. Loudest nastiest sounding guitars ever (and I mean "nasty" in a good way) There's loads of info about National guitars & resonators in general on the web, try here for a start

http://www.mphase.com/planetd2.htm

Looks like like a few nice old ones on the wall. The Cadillac custom-job is stunning.

Hey Bill, I can see a "Torch" inlay next to the Collings, what's that guitar?
cliff
Posted 2003-10-13 1:38 PM (#203147 - in reply to #203137)

". . .The Mississippi Delta was shining like a National guitar . . ." - Paul Simon
Beal
Posted 2003-10-13 6:11 PM (#203148 - in reply to #203137)

The torch is a 1/98 (NAMM show gitter) OO-42 Collings, AA Brazilian with an adarondak top, natural. My current favorite. It makes you play with your fingers although sounds good with a flatpick too. The other one on the wall is my fathers 1934 C-2 Martin that used to have an arched top that got stepped on one night when it was very drunk out back in the summer of 71. TJ Thompson did the conversion last year in the 42 style.

McGregor Gains and Don Young are the two guys who run National guitars and they are some of the nicest people in the biz. Great guitars too. There is something magical about playing a 70+ year old guitar. All three of those Duolians on the top row that old. Think of the blues they've play in their lifetimes! Check them out at www.nationalguitars.com

So Loraine and I go out for a nice casual lunch and we're at this restaurant and in walks these people. I figured him for a guitarist right away. There's no room cause the place is packed for lunch so our friend, the restaurant owner sits them down at our table. They're nice and friendly and one thing leads to another and before you know it we're talking guitars and we all know how those conversations go, don't we?

Al, we'd love to come help you with your lawn project this weekend but we're packing clothes and gitters in preparation for the great migration soon to come. Sorry, maybe next year?

Cliff, great to see you and Jeanette again. Ya'll come see us in Florida and we'll go to Chowder Ted's for the best Talapia sandwiches you ever did have.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-13 6:25 PM (#203149 - in reply to #203137)

Bill, C2 with a flat-top? Didn't David Bromberg do a similar conversion back in the 70's which was the inspiration for Martin's M-36 & M-38? I've only ever played one Thompson guitar & it was killer. Is that the guy who works out of Nova Scotia or somewhere around there & apprencticed for Schoenberg?

Duolians, you just gotta love guitars made outta tin.
TRboy
Posted 2003-10-13 6:49 PM (#203150 - in reply to #203137)

Al,

I'd love to come help you with your rakin' & pilin' also but can't get away right now, so maybe next year?
. . . .

Mike :rolleyes:
alpep
Posted 2003-10-13 7:55 PM (#203151 - in reply to #203137)

OK so don't help with the leaves.

ONce I get someone to put down a foundation and pad. I will expect you all to come over with your hammers (not hamers) and saws and help put up my garage/studio.

I have had so much trouble trying to hire someone that I decided to do as much as I can myself.

Miles actually came over one day this past summer and helped rip some siding off the side of the house. He even had fun...or at least that is what he told me.

CWK maybe I will give my new pickup a break in ride and visit you down in Fla.
Mark1960
Posted 2003-10-13 11:35 PM (#203152 - in reply to #203137)

Great timing...

I was driving home from work tonight listening to Mellencamp's new cd Trouble No More. There are a few tracks with Andy York doing his thing on his Nationals (as well as some great acoustic work).

I bet all those guitars could sure tell some stories. Nice post....thanks! Between the music on the way home and this post, I forgot what I was pissed about at work. ;)

Mark
Beal
Posted 2003-10-14 8:15 AM (#203153 - in reply to #203137)

Paul T, TJ works out of Boston Mass, Concord actually. He's done quite a few conversions. In his shop the old F hole tops are lined up like hunting trophies! Not sure where he was before. The other guy whgo works with him is Ken Fallon and he's quite good as well. Bormberg was the first I heard of doing the conversions. People had been telling me for years to do this one, I just finally got around to it. I don't think I could do it to a nice archtop, but one that was smashed was an easy decision. It sounds 90+% as good as a OOO from the same time period, and that's with the new top. Should be great in another 50 years!
cliff
Posted 2003-10-14 8:56 AM (#203154 - in reply to #203137)

". . . used to have an arched top that got stepped on one night when it was very drunk out back in the summer of 71 . . ."

Hmmm, . . that ain't eggzackly d'way I heard it ;)

David Bromberg:
For those of you who may not know . . .
David's alive and well, still performing, and runs a high-end violin dealership in Wilmington, Delaware. Evidently, he'd been living in the Chicago area and his tour manager (who lives in Wilmington) booked him at a venue there, and they fell in love with the town. He and his wife (who is a sculptor) decided to relocate. The city of Wilmington GAVE him a four story building in the historic district of town, gave him low-interest loans for renovations, and in return they have to stay there for like seven years and become the town's "Arts Council". David's got the violin shop in the first floor storefront, his wife's got her studio on one floor and they live with their kids in the remainder of the building.
NOT a bad deal!!!

Hey, Al!!!
What say we meet for lunch sometime in Wilmington??
Hell, that's almost your backyard!
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-14 9:53 AM (#203155 - in reply to #203137)

Bill, The Thompson guitar I played belonged to a Nova Scotian who was on tour over here & he said he'd bought it locally, but I guess Boston isn't too far away

There was some concert footage on the tube a week or so back with Bromberg (playing a D45) and John Sebastian on guitar and harmonica. Pretty damn good. Bromberg's "Midnight On The Water" album is a classic
alpep
Posted 2003-10-14 11:01 AM (#203156 - in reply to #203137)

cliff
Wilmington is about 40 minutes away.

Stop over do some work on the house and i will buy you dinner LOL.

funny how few friends you have when you need to get work done.
cliff
Posted 2003-10-14 11:07 AM (#203157 - in reply to #203137)

Al;

All you gotta do is gimme a specific date in advance. If I don't have a gig, just set aside for me a hammer, pencil, level, box o' nails, a couple "cold ones", and I'll BE there!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)