The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Celebrity/Elite Longneck

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Steve
Posted 2003-10-13 2:48 PM (#203128)
Subject: Celebrity/Elite Longneck

Anyone care to voice their experience in describing any noticable differences between the celebrity longneck and the usa elite longneck? Are the electronics all there really is?

thanks,
steve
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-13 6:09 PM (#203129 - in reply to #203128)
Subject: Re: Celebrity/Elite Longneck

Exactly the same differences with any other import versus domestic Ovation: materials, production methods, quality control, warranty etc etc. It's certainly not just down to the electronics, which are actually pretty similar. The imports have the thinline pickup, which has been used on some USA guitars, but the preamps are pretty much common to both depending on model. The Celebs are great for the money, but you get what you pay for. The differences bettwen the imports & USA guitars have been discussed at length in the past, try seaching the archives.
Paul Wag
Posted 2003-10-13 8:22 PM (#203130 - in reply to #203128)

Can someone elucidate on playing a "longneck" guitar as opposed to a regular (folk) style guitar. I'm pretty sure I've never seen one, or played one. Is it just personal preference? Is there an advantage that suites a particular style?
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-13 8:31 PM (#203131 - in reply to #203128)

Also called a "D" guitar it basically has a longer scale length and an extra 2 frets so standard tuning is a tone lower - DGCFAD. Stick a capo on fret 2 and it's a regular guitar. With heavier strings you can go lower, certainly down to B, maybe even A. It's almost a baritone guitar. Basically you can use low tunings but maintain a similar feel & tension to regular tuning
Steve
Posted 2003-10-14 1:42 PM (#203132 - in reply to #203128)

Paul, thanks, I appreciate your advice; can you suggest a specific archive where I may find more of the specific differences?
an4340
Posted 2003-10-14 3:38 PM (#203133 - in reply to #203128)

I'm pretty sure that Stevie Ray Vaughn tuned his guiter down to a "D", and put on fatter strings, hence making the sound chunkier. (Though he didn't play with a long neck strat) In my opinion, it suits the kind of blues played by Vaughn very well. You can tune your current guitar flat and get an idea of how a long neck will sound. For me, the idea behind a longer neck is to get a fatter sound without the string flap.
Tony PD
Posted 2003-10-14 8:03 PM (#203134 - in reply to #203128)

If I'm stating the obvious, forgive me, but check www.ovationguitars.com (guitars->longneck) for specs on Celebrity DCS247S and Elite DS778 longnecks.

Besides the pre-amps, they appear to have different necks (the Elite has a 5 piece neck, I don't think the Celebrity does), fretboards (ebony vs. rosewood) and pickups (high output vs. thinline).
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-14 8:17 PM (#203135 - in reply to #203128)

SRV tuned to E-flat, mostly to reduce the tension on the monster string guages he used, which if memory serves were 13-56. Those gauges played havoc with his fingers so he'd superglue his left-hand fingertips to his right fore-arm and rip himself a new layer of fingertip skin every night.
BruDeV
Posted 2003-10-14 10:21 PM (#203136 - in reply to #203128)

I read in one of the guitar magazines that he was using 18-72 for awhile.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)