The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Filing nut slots

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Neil
Posted 2003-10-13 3:27 PM (#203121)
Subject: Filing nut slots

I have an Ovation 12-string Balladeer (circa 1998)and realize that it is extremely difficult to fret the strings especially on the lower frets. I thought I might consider lowering the action. I understand that I must first set the neck relief. Then, I'm supposed to control the action by filing the nut slots and removing shims (if they exist) from under the bridge.

I checked on the web for guitar luthier supplies and a set of special-purpose files to do this is over $100. Are there any DIYers out there who can share what tools they use to do this? I realize I can take it to someone to do this, but I kinda want to do this myself.

Thanks,
Neil
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2003-10-13 3:32 PM (#203122 - in reply to #203121)
Subject: Re: Filing nut slots

First step:

Check to see if there are shims under the saddle!
If there are, remove one and try the action.

That's the primary, LEAST INVASIVE way of lowering the action.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-10-13 3:42 PM (#203123 - in reply to #203121)

Cliff's right, and 9 times out of 10 it will solve the problem.
Neil
Posted 2003-10-13 4:41 PM (#203124 - in reply to #203121)

Agreed. That would be simplest. However, I notice the biggest problem is on the frets closest to the nut. Do you still think lowering the saddle will help up there?
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-13 5:50 PM (#203125 - in reply to #203121)

If the problem is at the first few frets then an action adjustment at the bridge will have no significant effect. It requires, as you've already figured out, a nut adjustment. Cutting a really nice nut not only takes the correct tools but some skill & experience & modifying the existing nut or nut-slot isn't worth the hassle. Any nut work is especially tricky with a 12-string. The correct tools include proper nut files for the wound strings & saws of appropriate gauge for the trebles. Needle files aren't up to the job. A badly cut nut is a pain in the ass. (Cliff - inuendo alert!!!) A decent tech can make a new nut from bone or a good synthetic for around half the price of a set of nut files. If you want to try a quick fix you could crack off the existing nut and attempt to plane or file down it's base a little. If you remove too much material you can shim it back up. This is much less hassle than attempting to re-cut individual nut-slots without the correct tools.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2003-10-13 5:58 PM (#203126 - in reply to #203121)

Neil, cutting the nut slots is really a job for someone with experience. It is so easy to cut them to low, and you end up with a string banging on the frets. But nut height is so important for a well playing guitar. See if you can find someone in your area who does this type of guitar work. You will love the way your 12-string plays after you have this done.
Neil
Posted 2003-10-13 6:56 PM (#203127 - in reply to #203121)

Thanks, guys. You convinced me. I'll take it to a pro.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)