The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation Classical

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

stellarjim
Posted 2003-10-18 9:34 PM (#202841)
Subject: Ovation Classical

For some of the more experienced members: Can you tell me if this guitar is any good? I know it's American made but I can't find any info on it on the web or at the Ovation web site. Appreciate your help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2566110721&category=47064
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2003-10-18 10:04 PM (#202842 - in reply to #202841)
Subject: Re: Ovation Classical

Oh yes, it is very good. This is Ovations top of the line classical. I own the identical guitar (see photo in gallery) and like it very much. One comment, however - despite what the ebay posting says, the neck is NOT graphite. It's a standard 5-piece neck, but it's painted black to match the rest of the guitar. Unfortunately it's flat black, not the gloss black like the headstock. Personally I think it would have looked better left natural wood, but that's just my opinion. All in all though, this is a very nice guitar.

Some on this board much more familiar that I about classicals will tell you that if you really want a good sounding classical, look for something other than Ovation. I don't disagree. I think the Ovation classicals carry over a lot of "baggage" from the steel strings. i.e. - they are not designed from the start, or optimized for nylon strings. If they were, I'm guessing that the body shape, depth, bracing, etc. would be different.

But don't get me wrong, the 1713 is a very nice classical and if you need/want to have an Ovation classical in your collection, THIS is the one to have. You don't see that many black ones, which to me makes it all that more desirable. If I didn't already have this model, I'd be placing a bid.

Dave
Mark1960
Posted 2003-10-19 12:17 AM (#202843 - in reply to #202841)

Stellarjim,

I noticed you also bid on the other 1713 that sold for $535!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2565017859&category=47064&rd=1

From looking at this, I'd say the Buy Now price is fair. I was following the other auction from work.

I didn't think it was a graphite neck either and I agree that these aren't your best bet if you want a classical guitar for classical music...but they are great guitars for other styles, especially with the right strings. I'm tempted to buy this one but I just picked up a 1976 1116-4 last week. I loved taking it out of that heavy brown case for the first time and giving her a good polishing. When it was made, I was running around in my 1970 Plymouth Duster listening to Led Zeppelin II in my 8-track. It was like meeting a new old friend ;) .

mark
stellarjim
Posted 2003-10-19 7:42 AM (#202844 - in reply to #202841)

Thanks guys. Very helpful.
DAVE: Where is this gallery you wrote about? Is the OFC site hiding some kind of extensive gallery I don't know about?

MARK: I sure did bid on the other 1713. I wasn't willing to go as high as what it sold for. I think the new one is more rare, and for that reason, would be worth a little more.
Standingovation
Posted 2003-10-19 8:45 AM (#202845 - in reply to #202841)

Jim, The gallery is under Member Access / Beta Gallery.
Mark1960
Posted 2003-10-19 11:17 AM (#202846 - in reply to #202841)

This guy must have watched the other auction too. At first his Buy Now price was $450...then $480...now the Buy Now option appears to have been removed. Good luck on the auction...it's a nice guitar!

mark
tap116
Posted 2003-10-20 3:08 PM (#202847 - in reply to #202841)

I have owned and play a Martin 0018C for more than 15 years. I picked up an Ovation 1116 Concert Classical from eBay in mid September, and have been playing it everyday since.

IMHO the Ovation sounds and plays every bit as good as my Martin. Neither of them sound like a "traditional" classical guitar. But that fact does not detract from their sound.

In summary, I am very happy with my Ovation Concert Classical.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)