The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Quality Issues at Ovation?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Englishplayer
Posted 2003-10-19 8:26 AM (#202783)
Subject: Quality Issues at Ovation?

On the Acoustic Guitar Magazine website someone stated that a salesman told them that his store was no longer going to carry Ovations due to quality issues. I responded that it sounded like salesman B.S. Has anyone heard of production line problems on new Ovations? I'm very impressed witht the quality I see when I play the American made models, and all I hear about is the high quality as well. Since I'm in the market for a new purchase, I'd like to know if any of you all out there have heard any info?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2003-10-19 8:47 AM (#202784 - in reply to #202783)
Subject: Re: Quality Issues at Ovation?

In my opinion, USA Ovations are among the finest quality instruments you can buy. The salesman must be talking about the "other Ovations". Dave
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-10-19 11:35 AM (#202785 - in reply to #202783)

Having seen the way the Ovation made in Hartford are built, I can't believe a flawed one could ever leave the Factory. I'm sure it must have happened at some point, but I just find it so hard to believe. Not directly because of a particular process, but the whole process.

As example.. The bracing is put on the top, so there are several hands that look at that, then the top put onto the bowl, and that is another couple of hands, and then the binding. At each step, there is a chance to catch a flaw of the previous steps, several times over and it continues this way until the final testing which includes a couple of stops for actual quality control.

I don't think the majority of the buying, or the selling public for that matter realizes how much handwork is done on these guitars. And further it's not a "conveyor belt" operation either with time contraints. Each part is fitted properly, then placed on a rack for the next person to pick it up. I don't have verification, but it seems that if they need more guitars built, they hire more people, they don't just tell'em to "work faster."

I have heard so many Myths over the years about Ovation guitars it's laughable. I must say I believed many of the myths both good and bad until I went to the factory and witnessed the operation.
alpep
Posted 2003-10-19 12:42 PM (#202786 - in reply to #202783)

I sold an Adamas on e bay. the customer after recieving the guitar and falling in love with it took it to a guitar store to be restrung. The person at the store told her the electronics were "ripped out" and the fingerboard was" full of cracks" He told her the guitar was unplayable and should be returned to me.
So I get the guitar back. The jack came loose from the preamp and I plugged it in and it played fine. the fingerboard cracks were grain lines.
Obviously this person wanted to sell a guitar and slammed the one I sold. Not a problem I got the return restocking fee BUT there are a ton of people out there that will slam a product they don't sell or can't make a profit on. What happens is they bait and switch for a different item.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2003-10-19 3:31 PM (#202787 - in reply to #202783)

Every Ovation I have owned has been first rate quality. I have learned much from this group, and from those who have been to the factory. Quality issues were never something that crossed my mind with an Ovation guitar.
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-20 1:06 AM (#202788 - in reply to #202783)

There seems to be an anti Ovation situation out there that manifests itself in undeserved attacks on the make. Way back, someone listed all these canards that they had seen in various web sites. There seems to be a vicious pleasure today in attacking something to enhance the attackers self centered asshole lack of ability and status by criticising something good. They then crawl unde their rock and suck their thumb and whine "I really, really showed them". Most of these slime are well depicted as Gollum in "The Two Towers", you can find them everywhere except where they might do some good.

Bailey
alpep
Posted 2003-10-20 7:44 AM (#202789 - in reply to #202783)

The internet seems to allow people to get courage, and grow the big brass ones.
Most of the time when you meet someone in person they are a meek and mild mannered.
this does not apply to me, what you see is what you get.
iconocoustica
Posted 2003-10-20 8:23 AM (#202790 - in reply to #202783)

I special-ordered a CE778 from Elderly in March and got it last April (took about 3 weeks). I absolutely love it and would not consider playing anything else at this time. However, there is a small QC issue with the guitar that I haven't had fixed yet. When I got the guitar, the 17th fret was coming out of the fretboard and had a very rough edge on it. The string would actually get hung up under the fret when I bent a note! Whenever I played a note on the 14th or 15th frets I could hear a "tinkle" where the string hit the raised fret. There is no authorized repair center near me and I paid a local guy $50 to redress the frets from the 12th up rather than send it back to CT or MI and not have the guitar for a while. He did a decent job but the problem remains. I have raised the action with 3 saddle shims which helps get the string off of the frets but I can still hear the "tinkle". I am now seriously considering contacting Kim Keller about the frets and possibly sending it for fixing and taking the chance that the ensuing withdrawals will be tolerable (I don't have any other guitars as I traded them in for the O). Anyway, I flat out love the CE778 but I am a bit disappointed in the "Friday-afternoon" fret job it got. I hope Kim and Ovation are cool about fixing it under warranty.

Franklin
Alina
Posted 2003-10-20 9:52 AM (#202791 - in reply to #202783)

Many years ago I took lessons with a fantastic teacher in Ann Arbor, Michigan (a woman named Sandy who played blues - great guitarist). She freelanced out of a big shop that did lessons/sales/repairs. I mentioned to them that I was planning to buy my first Ovation. They badmouthed O's a lot, and even claimed that their repair department had found matchsticks glued inside new O's for support between the bracing and the top to compensate for warped bracing/tops.

Alina
Norseman1
Posted 2003-10-20 9:59 AM (#202792 - in reply to #202783)

I willsay, the quality of my USA O's are evident, and the lack therof in my Korean sisters is evident as well.

I can't believe allthat is wrong with my CS255. I love the way it sounds, but nothing short of a neck reset will allow it to be played above the 7th fret. I've had the nut adjusted down, it helped some. Had the bridge "tightened" down, but she had raised enough to crack the finish along the bridge and pullling it up 1/4 past and along the base of the bridge. Oh yea, the thing is like a year old.

CC-65 or whatever number it is (Celeb. 12 string) looks great, is structurally sound, easy to play, but has no low end whatsoever(plugged or unplugged).

On the positive side, My Legend sounds unbelievably deep and rich, and is easy to play (neck straight and strong)despite having major warping in the face, a crack in the base, and being 22 years old.

My Standard Balladeer looks and plays great, has wonderful acoustics (although it does not have the low end punch of my Legend).

Simply said, yes USA-O's are a great product... Korean models are suspect. My question is, WHY?! If I am putting my name on a product, I would want a certain level of quality as a baseline, regardless of the bottom line. If it is impossible to do, then perhaps Ovation should scratch their Korean division.

Burned once, shame on you, Burned twice, shame on me.... There will be no third time for this slow learner when it comes to "K-O's"

JMHO

Peace,

Norse(O.K.,I'll go have a cup of coffee now)man1
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-20 10:56 AM (#202793 - in reply to #202783)

Originally posted by Norseman1:
USA-O's are a great product... Korean models are suspect. My question is, WHY?!

Simple, they cost a lot less. They are built to a certain price point and as a result have neither the materials, manufacturing techniques or quality control of the USA guitars. They are fine for the money and as good or better than imported competion of similar price, but as Al said, you can't pay for a VW & expect to get a Rolls Royce.
Stevechapman
Posted 2003-10-20 11:05 AM (#202794 - in reply to #202783)

I've played many different USA Ovation Models, Though I've only owned two myself. I've even played Celibrity Models on a couple occasions.
I have nothing but High Praise for Ovation Instruments- They are absolutely Great! I've not played a Bad one in the bunch. Soundwise The USA Models Do Sound Better-I simply cannot believe that The Factory would let a Bad one Out!
That's My two cents Worth!
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-10-20 11:40 AM (#202795 - in reply to #202783)

There is confusion by the general public on the Ovation line...especially since the lower/mid-range guitar is what you see in the guitar store. And, all of the models look "purdy".

Advantage: newer or less experienced player buys an Ovation - nice looking guitar and low price.

Disadvantage: no incentive to move up to higher quality or his/her problems with the low end model sour Ovation's image.

I don't know if there is a quality control problem with off-shore Ovation products. No complaint if the neck isn't ebony or fine rosewood. Low end guitar will probably never need a re-fret anyway.

However, there is no excuse for a product with the company's primary logo to suffer from quality control problems, no matter what price the product is selling for (or where it was manufactured). An item selling for $300 with the same logo as an item selling for $2,400 - some people see it as a problem with the company, not the price.

Currently, there are some excellent archtops coming in from China. I have five of them - never paid over $295 on eBay or direct with the seller. Their list is higher but that is what I paid for them. Absolutely no problem. Excellent set-up and quality. A local guitar store in San Diego has a used one for $775.00. Far better guitarists than I am have been amazed. Not a high end Gibson but similar to the Ibanez jazz box that I bought years ago when I had a 335 - different, but still nice. Yes, I agree with anyone that they may be "dumped", to create a market and that the workers are paid low wages...however, that can be true of far-east countries.
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-10-20 12:36 PM (#202796 - in reply to #202783)

Hi,

it's very strange to read this topic, 'cause my experience so far is quite different.

We in the Netherlands don't have a dedicated distributor for our country, so we have to get Ovations thru a German distributor. In the netherlands, on 16.000.000 inhabitants there are 3 more or less decent ovation dealers. So, no one ever buys one (An Adamas SMT retails for about 2800 Euros, which is IMHO way to much for it).

Still, they seem to have a kind of magic aura, because when i took my Ultra out of it's case at gigs etc., everyone started to call oohs and aahs ('oh, it's an ovation'). Now i traded it in and bought the Adamas i get even more responses like this. Quality doesn't seem to be questionable for the people overhere. It's the price that matters...
Martin
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-10-20 2:24 PM (#202797 - in reply to #202783)

I really really hate to say this, but it seems MOST other countries are concerned about the "quality" of something more than the name that's on the package.

A lot of the negative press about Ovation is simply because it isn't Taylor or Martin and they don't have a long laundry list of current players.

If quality was more of a measure here, guitars like the solidbody Viper would have knocked every import and several USA made guitars off the shelf in its day.
Stevechapman
Posted 2003-10-20 3:42 PM (#202798 - in reply to #202783)

Amen Brother-Preach it Rev. Miles!!
willard
Posted 2003-10-20 3:57 PM (#202799 - in reply to #202783)

This is a good example of the confusion.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=2566184452
I contacted the seller and let him know that in fact, his guitar was NOT a USA Ovation and he has since made some additions to his description. He was under the impressions that "Ovation" meant USA.
Standingovation
Posted 2003-10-20 4:10 PM (#202800 - in reply to #202783)

"All Celebrity USA Guitar company, guitars are made in Korea"

Now I AM CONFUSED !!!!

Dave
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2003-10-20 4:59 PM (#202801 - in reply to #202783)

Why don't they just put Celebrity on the Celebrity headstocks, and Ovation on the USA made guitars? Don't they put Celbrity on the Korean made mandolins?
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-10-20 5:01 PM (#202802 - in reply to #202783)

POP-Phhhhhhht rrrrrrrrrip

The sound of a can of worms opening.
Standingovation
Posted 2003-10-20 7:11 PM (#202803 - in reply to #202783)

Korean made Applause mandos say "Applause" on the headstock. Korean made Celebrity mandos say "Ovation".

Hey, here's a novel idea. Why don't they get rid of the headstock logos and just put the country of origin in big bold letters on the headstock.

It's a big can of worms (great sound-bite, Miles!). Not all Korean made instruments are bad and not all USA made instruments are good. It just gets frustrating that to some extent I feel the average consumer is getting somewhat duped into thinking he is getting something better than he is, and at the same time the high end buyer is getting rediculed for playing (God forbid) Ovations with all their "quality problems" and "plastic" materials.

Dave
Ralph
Posted 2003-10-20 7:50 PM (#202804 - in reply to #202783)

A college kid looked at my Custom Elite & said "You got a Celebrity." I was pissed.

On second thought, I think Ovation has done an excellent job in marketing. Ovation is making lots of money out of the low-end models. People who cannot afford the USA models can get the cheaper import models.

People complain about the quality problems of US-made Mazda & BMW. Should Mazda & BMW use different names?
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-10-20 7:54 PM (#202805 - in reply to #202783)

Throwing my one and a half cents worth in....my Korean-made CC01 Celebrity I bought a month ago is one of the finest acoustic guitars I have ever played....the set-up is excellent, the sound is outstanding. I sample more expensive guitars(including Martins and Taylors) regularly at our local Guitar Center, and I prefer my Celebrity. Maybe I got one of the best ones(also bought it from Elderly, and maybe their set-up is responsible)?
Nils
Posted 2003-10-20 9:40 PM (#202806 - in reply to #202783)

That first Korean 12 string I bought should have said "Celibasy" on the headstock. Compared to my Elite it wasn't worth a fuck.
In all fairness I have to say that I've since played several 6 string Celiba...err Celebrities & they were all pretty nice. I just happened to get one that went together with the neck set a little off. I don't think it would have ever gotten out of the USA factory.

/\/\/
Standingovation
Posted 2003-10-20 10:57 PM (#202807 - in reply to #202783)

Boy, Ralph brings up a good point that hits very close to home. I drive a US made BMW and it sucks in quality compared to the previous German one I had. And guess what? The Germans are really pissed off that the US ones are even called BMW's. Sound familiar? Dave
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)