The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Feedback

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Neil
Posted 2003-10-20 6:30 PM (#202750)
Subject: Feedback

I have a Fishman Prefix Natural I installed in my 1972 Artist Balladeer. This thing feeds back at fairly low volumes. It also picks up sympathetic vibrations from my bass player (for some reason, particularly the D string).

I've been living with it, but recently, a friend brought over a dreadnaught guitar with the same exact pickup and it goes way louder before feeding back. Is there something about the round bowl that exacerbates the feedback?

I've thought about getting a soundhole cover. My model (and maybe all Ovations) has the fretboard coming up all the way to the soundhole. This would require a soundhole cover that would accommodate the extra height where it borders the hole.

Anyone use a soundhole cover? If so, what kind and where would I get one?

Thanks,
Neil
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2003-10-20 6:49 PM (#202751 - in reply to #202750)
Subject: Re: Feedback

I am no help here I try to make my guitars feedback.
cliff
Posted 2003-10-20 6:52 PM (#202752 - in reply to #202750)

The name on the package is called "Feedback Buster" and it's distibuted by Kaman (surprise, surprise!) :)

http://proaudiomusic.com/accessories/feedback-buster.htm

I used to have the same problem (especially with the bass player) when I played in a really LOUD 4-piece. They fit REALLY well (I don't remember, but I think there's a pic in my gallery that shows it in my CBalladeer). It cut down the feedback considerably.

You might also wanna consider an amp/outboard unit with a good notch filter as well.

g'luck!
Neil
Posted 2003-10-20 7:09 PM (#202753 - in reply to #202750)

Thanks, Cliff. I'll give one a try. At $5.99, I don't have much to lose if it doesn't work. Does an outboard preamp conflict with the internal preamp built into the fishman?
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-21 4:34 AM (#202754 - in reply to #202750)

Neil, there's 2 version of the Fishman Matrix. The natural 1 is designed for classical guitars and smaller-bodied steel strings and the pre-amp is pre-eq'd with a bass-boost. This might be contributing to your problem. The Natural 11 preamp has a flatter response & is designed for larger guitars and higher volume amplification.

The feedbackbuster soundhole plug will help a little, I have them in all my stage guitars, but you'll probably need something a little more sophisticated as well. The cheapest & most effective solution I've come accross is the Behringer Shark. I've had one of these in my rig for a couple of years and find it essential. Correctly set-up it will automatically search for and zap the guitars feedback points, without screwing with your tone. They're available for well under $100

http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=DSP110&lang=eng
Neil
Posted 2003-10-21 10:31 AM (#202755 - in reply to #202750)

Paul,

When I bought the Natural I, I believed that the II was for large dreads and jumbos which had booming bass response. Since the body of my guitar (mid bowl) is relatively small and the Ovation sound is naturally a little on the thin (i.e. treble and mid) side, I thought the Natural I would be a good fit. I suppose I could try the soundhole cover first. If that doesn't do it, then I'll go to the next step. I'm pretty sure that my friend's pup is a Natural I and it's in a dread - could be wrong about that, though. I'll find out.

Thanks for the Behringer info. I'll definitely check it out.

Neil
cliff
Posted 2003-10-21 10:50 AM (#202756 - in reply to #202750)

The cheapest way out would be to just kill the bass player. :D
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)