The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Diary of a Chop Shop Experience

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Paul Wag
Posted 2003-10-21 3:25 PM (#202707)
Subject: Diary of a Chop Shop Experience

I took off from where I work in downtown Ft. Worth around 4:30, brought my Legend to work to take along, changed into some comfortable clothes and I'm off! Had to make a couple of stops (left my extra guitar strings at Bill the Drummer's and gassed up the car), this should have got me to Sherman and Dude's Music right on time if not early.
Well I got stuck in some traffic heading out from the big city, finally started cruising on I-35W. through Tarrant County, passing Dale Earnhardt Parkway by the Texas Motor Speedway.
Up through Argyle and into Denton, home to the world famous and one of my families favorite's, Brave Combo. I-35W joins up with I-35E to be just plain old I-35. Through Krum, Sanger and into Gainesville, take I-82 straight over to Sherman. Made a needed pit stop in Gainesville. Tried not to speed as I'm now cutting it close on time and I spy what must be the one and only police officer in Oakridge, probably just waiting for a long-haired city boy like me to write some tickets out to....
Made it into Shermand and, sure enough, just like it said on the MapQuest directions, was on Buck Owens Freeway for a minute (no time to stop and take a pic!). Found Dude's Music after I passed right by it once (was getting dark, had to ask directions at a convenience store). Hmmmm, nobody was there! Walked around and talked to a lady that was pulled up in the parking lot, she was helping her daughter on some school project, no idea about the guitar workshop. Then I noticed the sign that said "Chop Shop at the Holiday Inn". Back to the convenience store for more directions. Rushed into the Holiday Inn with my guitar (forgot the camera, which I came back for after the break). There was Matt playing some absolutely beautiful guitar and later some slide and mandolin.
Dude's Music had brought in several Ovation Models, including an Adamas, Elite (I think was set up as a baritone guitar, missed Matt playing that one) and Legend (same model as mine, different finish and newer electronics) which they let everyone try whatever guitars they wanted to.
I will say that they had more Celebrity models than USA models - Matt made whatever one he was playing sound fantastic.
Matt said he only brings his mandolin as the idea is to check out the stock the particular sponsor has brought in. Matt tuned all of our guitars to a alternate D tuning and showed us how to use familiar chord positions but evoke a different sound than the standard tuning. Way cool! He also showed us some Travis pick stuff and some slide techniques.
The guy the won the giveaway (Celebrity, not sure what model, and it was one coupon number greater that mine) said he had a lot of Fenders and Les Paul's at the house, but his son had taken the acoustic, so he was thinking about getting one. Now he's got one!! I told everyone that I found out about the Chop Shop from this forum and to check it out.
After it was over it was back in the car and home in the big city snuggled in bed by 11:30!
Thanks Matt. Started looking over the book at lunch today, great stuff. Thanks Dude's Music in Sherman for sponsoring.

I didn't get as many pics as I had hoped for as I got there late, the ones I took I posted in my Gallery!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-22 2:36 AM (#202708 - in reply to #202707)
Subject: Re: Diary of a Chop Shop Experience

Great story!!, makes me have envy for each part, sounds like fun and looks like fun.

Bailey
alpep
Posted 2003-10-22 7:30 AM (#202709 - in reply to #202707)
Subject: Re: Diary of a Chop Shop Experience

Every time I see and hear matt play I want to give up. He is awesome and a great guy too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)