The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Any Gibson buffs out there?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Norseman1
Posted 2003-10-22 1:36 PM (#202635)
Subject: Any Gibson buffs out there?

Perhaps not the place to ask, but ask I will.

I have a friend that owns a Gibson from waaay back. He said he got it from a musician friend named Curly (can't remember the last name) who played guitar with some well-known country groups I believe he said back in the 50's (Curly was from Arizona). My friend received the guitar as a keepsake from Curly's wife.

Anyway, this is a very old Gibson. It looks much like a cheap old Harmony guitar, yet it does bear the Gibson name on the headstock, and the trademark Gibson pickgaurd design.

I played the guitar, and found that although the action was very high, it had absolutely beautiful, rich tone.

The only identifying marks I could find, was a very small white paper on the back brace just inside the soundhole. The paper looked to have typed on it J-50 or l-50 (hard to read). I know of several Gibson models with the "J" in it, so I am guessing that this is a "j" as well.

I know I could probably contact Gibson for info., but knowing there are several knowledgable guitarists on this board, I thought I would ask if anyone hear has any thoughts on this guitar.

Norse(curious)man1
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2003-10-22 3:14 PM (#202636 - in reply to #202635)
Subject: Re: Any Gibson buffs out there?

NOrse
J 50 would be right but, the label should say gibson and be orange.
I would be interested in the guitar if it is for sale or trade.
High action could mean it needs a tweak on the truss rod or a collapsed top or something else. The tone on these is usually rather dry. They make good recording guitars not too many overtones
it should have a number on the back of the neck find it out contact me and I could look it up for you.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2003-10-22 4:01 PM (#202637 - in reply to #202635)

Norseman, I have a Gibson 5-string banjo that my father bought in 1962. I started out on banjo before I went to guitar, and I have spent many an hour on that old 5-string. I am not sure what model it is, a RB-100 maybe. It is built like a tank, very heavy and it has a beautiful sunburst finish on the back of the resonator. It does not have the standard banjo headstock shape. This one look more like a small Les Paul shape. Wonderful old instrument.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-22 6:36 PM (#202638 - in reply to #202635)

Norse, The J50 is a slope-shoulder dreadnought, basically it's a J45 with a natural finish. The J50 was introduced in 1948, the orange oval label Al refers was introduced I guess in the early to mid-50's. Prior to that the oval labels were off-white, though I've seen the cheaper guitars with small square labels or no labels at all, so it's possible it could be a J50 even if it doesn't have an orange label. There were several smaller-bodied guitars with an "L" prefix, so I'm thinking this could be an L-00 or more likely an L-GO The L-G0's were all mahogany & ladder-braced.

Here's a J-50

http://www.gbase.com/gearlist/guitar_picture.asp?guitar=300925

and here's an L-GO

http://www.andysguitars.com/906D_64LGO.jpg
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-23 1:53 AM (#202639 - in reply to #202635)

Paul

I had an LG0 in California given to me by a fellow who could out sing Merle Haggard when he was drunk, but couldn't sing a note when he was sober (I tried to set up gigs with him as a vocalist, but he showed up drunk, sang one song and collapsed, damaging my sterling reputation rather badly); that guitar I played for years and gave to my son, he had autographs on it from Bill Monroe and some other stars that played in CA at some of the shows we attended, I don't know if he still has it or not. When I was young and lived in Poway, CA, I used to spend some time in various bars pickin' and singing on that Gibson. One of the bar owners name of Red Bird from Texas, stole it from me one night and kept it for two weeks, before that I just thought it was an ole gitter, but I damn sure missed it when it was gone, and was almost as happy to get it back as some who make up with a strayed wife or girlfriend.

Bailey (an early Gibson freak, now cured)

This was after I had given away the Gibson SJ that I bought from my brother for $175 and broke the neck in a fit of not being appreciated for my music.
Norseman1
Posted 2003-10-23 9:56 AM (#202640 - in reply to #202635)

Thanks for the responses guys. I do appreciate your knowledge. Paul, this is a dead ringer for the picture you posted of the J-50. The small white label would be appropriate as you date it, as I am guessing this guitar was made in the 40's. Al, your mention of it's tone/sound is accurate. My friend is not interested in selling the guitar, as it has some sentimental value, but he will appreciate the information you all have given me to share with him (especially the picture...thanks Paul). This guitar is far from flawless, with some warping in the pickgaurd, and some cracking in the finish, but it does sound crisp and rich in tone. No fret buzzing, or the sound of loose bracing when you thump it. Nice guitar for sure...BUT for tone, richness, playability, asthetics, my Legend is far superior :) There is something special about that guitar (Legend). Never played nor heard anything like it.

Norse(now if I could only reproduce this love in a 12)man1

p.s. Al, next time I talk to this friend, I will ask him about the number on the back of the neck. Thanks.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-23 11:06 AM (#202641 - in reply to #202635)

Norse, it's possible it could be even older. If it's a J35 he has a Gibson "Holy Grail" of flattops. Not quite as revered as a mid-30's Advanced Jumbo but still a very special guitar. Post a pic if you can.
Norseman1
Posted 2003-10-23 12:47 PM (#202642 - in reply to #202635)

Will do Paul. I'll try and hook up with him later this week.

Norse(this is fun)man1
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)