The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Concert review--Kaki & Mike Gordon in Boulder

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

popcritic
Posted 2003-10-22 2:54 PM (#202632)
Subject: Concert review--Kaki & Mike Gordon in Boulder

Nice review and photo at:

http://www.jambase.com/headsup.asp?storyID=4265

Dave King
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-10-22 3:16 PM (#202633 - in reply to #202632)
Subject: Re: Concert review--Kaki & Mike Gordon in Boulder

Good review indeed!

One thing I think has been missed in the past is more praise for you as a parent. You obviously have encouraged Kaki to "find" her method of playing and expression and did not force her into using the more "traditional" methods. That shows to me a parenting quality that is rare these days!

thank you!

tim
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-23 2:43 AM (#202634 - in reply to #202632)
Subject: Re: Concert review--Kaki & Mike Gordon in Boulder

Dave

Having a brother who was an outstanding fiddle player who was a Canadian fiddle champion in the late 50's and who made recordings with Jesse McReynold's; I can tell you how hard it is for an instrumentalist to become a star, (he never did outside of his hometown crowd). She is doing GREAT, give her all the love and support that you can. Living the fame can be very disillusioning as there are many hours when she isn't on stage and is treated like a less than ordinary person. As an example, my brother and I went to Bakersfield in the 70's to check out the Buck Owens, Merle Haggard experience. When we hit the town, nobody could tell us where the country music was, so we hit the first bar we found open, The Blackboard, and they were having a contest, Johnny went on to compete with his fiddle and won a trophy that I swear was 3 feet tall. We offered to give it back as Johnny was a professional that had backed most of the days country stars as a fiddle player at the Cleveland country TV show including Dottie West and others, they just said that all the LA and Vegas pickers tried to get that trophy, so don't be to ashamed to keep it. Then we realized we had found the Bakersfield that we were looking for.
The next day we hit a museum, and we found we couldn't get any cash from my brother's credit card, even though he owned a car dealership in Ohio. We took what cash we had left and went back to San Diego. All in all a good trip, and he had that big trophy when he died.

Bailey
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)