The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Saddle action and Sound

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

iconocoustica
Posted 2003-10-23 8:25 AM (#202541)
Subject: Saddle action and Sound

Would anyone like to comment on how, with all slse being equal, saddle height affects the ability of the strings to drive the top? Which would theoretically sound better, a saddle with one shim or three? Or does it not make a difference?

Franklin
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2003-10-23 9:02 AM (#202542 - in reply to #202541)
Subject: Re: Saddle action and Sound

In principle, the sharper the break angle of the strings over the saddle, the greater the downward force on the saddle and better transfer of forces through the bridge to the soundboard. So one could conclude that the more shims the better. However using multiple thin shims is less efficient that using one shim. Idea situation is to have the saddle made to the exact required size and use no shims.

Dave

PS - The same angle argument can be made at the nut and that is the reason that many people will tell you that slothead guitars sound better than flat peghead guitars.
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-10-23 9:07 AM (#202543 - in reply to #202541)

theoretically a higher saddle would be preferable to a lower one with shims. one thick heavy shim would be preferable to three lighter ones. a wooden shim would be preferable to a foam one. a bone shim would be preferable to wood. theoretically.

Why? Because theoretically contact between strings and top should be as direct as possible, and theoretically this is better with hard massive materials that don't absorb the string movements, but pass them on.

Practically i don't hear the difference. Maybe it's my ears, but more likely it's because the string tension on the saddle is so high that absorption doesn't stand a chance.

Martin
an4340
Posted 2003-10-23 9:19 AM (#202544 - in reply to #202541)

Based on my experience, I concur with groovedude's findings. I don't really hear a difference. However, there's a point of no return if your saddle is too low. Your strings don't get a good purchase on the saddle, so if you're really flailing they move. I've noticed that thicker strings get a better grip on the saddle. It takes a while to get it just right.
Steve
Posted 2003-10-23 9:27 AM (#202545 - in reply to #202541)

Speaking of saddles and shims....when I was kid you could get real ivory to use for the nut, or the saddle, as for whatever reason back then it was considered 'ideal' for tone, or signal transfer; any opinions on the materials used today being compared with ivory?
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-23 10:03 AM (#202546 - in reply to #202541)

Bone works just fine & there's too many other variables to argue whether ivory is better than bone or vice-versa. Fossil ivory is available but I'm not sure it's worth the extra expense. And while the "good" synthetics such as Micarta, Corian & Tusq all work well, I'd go for bone every time.

Too shallow a break angle kills tone, volume & projection
cliff
Posted 2003-10-23 10:20 AM (#202547 - in reply to #202541)

Paul;

How hard is it to change-out the actual "saddle" on the standard Ovation pickup/saddle assembly?

Somebody gave me a bone saddle that I wanna use, but I'm reticent about yanking the thing apart and have something go wrong and not have ample "fix" time before I need the guitar for a gig.

The other problem's gonna be if I make the "switch", I'll loose that nifty black saddle that I got from Al that I really like the looks of.

decisions, decisions . . . . .
Standingovation
Posted 2003-10-23 10:31 AM (#202548 - in reply to #202541)

reticent ????

Gezus, Cliff, you even spelled it correctly.

Dave
cliff
Posted 2003-10-23 10:56 AM (#202549 - in reply to #202541)

ay! jez cawz I live'n Joizey don' mean I got no fuggin' clazz!!! :D
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-23 11:01 AM (#202550 - in reply to #202541)

Cliff, you got a bone saddle for your ovation PU? Well done, they are handmade and cost a fortune for what they are (around $100).

Remove the pickup & take out the 2 pins either side. You should be able to very carefully lift off the existing saddle which will expose the silicone rubber covering the piezo elements. (I've done this a few times to replace worn saddles) you can then press the new bone saddle into place. You could use a little silicone or rubber-solution glue to secure it if you think it's needed.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)