The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Need advice

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

bodorf
Posted 2003-10-26 11:11 AM (#202431)
Subject: Need advice

Hi y'all. Still thinking of buying a solidbody viper. There's these 2 on eBay right now that I'm trying to complare but don't know enough about these guitars. One has p/u's replaced with EMG's, how would this affect tone ? Also has a coil tap on the bridge p/u. What's this ? Any info would be appreciated. Many thanks.
The 2nd one looks like all the hardware is stock. Which is the better buy in your opinion?

eBay item 2

eBay item 1
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-26 12:48 PM (#202432 - in reply to #202431)
Subject: Re: Need advice

EMG's are fine pickups, but it's a bit like putting humbuckers on a Tele & expecting it to still sound like a Tele. The EMG's will change the character of the guitar completely, it'll be a good sound but it won't be a Viper sound. The coil tap shuts off one of the two coils in the pickup, which will make the EMG humbucker sound a little more like the original Ovation single-coil pickups. Which one is best depends on your needs & the asking price. If you need a Viper and prefer single coils go for the guitar that is stock. If you just need a decent electric guitar either will be fine, but I'd want to pay less than the going rate for the modified guitar.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-10-26 6:55 PM (#202433 - in reply to #202431)

I agree with Paul about the sound. As far as "best buy" I normally stick with a stock guitar and modify it myself if I want to. That way I can always convert it back to original if I decide to sell it someday. For some reason the first link isn't working at the moment, but the EMG powered guitar also has other modifications.

For what it's worth, I think the original Viper pickups give you more variety in sound than the EMG's. The EMG's have a particular sound which I also like, but the Viper pickups can also emulate many other sounds with use of tone, selection. vol and amp settings.
bodorf
Posted 2003-10-27 12:24 PM (#202434 - in reply to #202431)

OK guys thanks for the info.

:)
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-28 2:11 AM (#202435 - in reply to #202431)

As a happy original Viper owner, I might point out that a Viper with non standard pickups might also have been carved up as very few pickups fit the Viper design other than Viper pickups.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)