The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
"Burnin' down the house"

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

BruDeV
Posted 2003-10-26 10:12 PM (#202407)
Subject: "Burnin' down the house"

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/

local news says that almost half a million acres burnt so far.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-10-26 11:27 PM (#202408 - in reply to #202407)
Subject: Re: "Burnin' down the house"

about 5:30pm, mandatory evacuation - just came back to check the house...appears to be ok, not sure about tomorrow. Will come back early to assess.

ash over the whole city [San Diego] - eleven dead, 150 homes destroyed in just Scripps Ranch.

my problem is just over my fence is Cowles Mountain and at 5pm they felt we were threatened.

it is a mess...
BruDeV
Posted 2003-10-26 11:44 PM (#202409 - in reply to #202407)

The Grand Prix and the Old(Waterman) fires have joined. They were originally about 25 miles apart. If the Santa Anna winds get bad again, they're expecting wind gusts of up to 60 MPH. Ash is bad in S.B.; doctors are advising people with breathing problems to leave the area.
Nils
Posted 2003-10-27 12:53 AM (#202410 - in reply to #202407)

Good luck guys. We were on fire here for a few weeks not long ago.

/\/\/
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-27 1:09 AM (#202411 - in reply to #202407)

Good Luck to all of you in California, I wish you the best and hope you have no problems. I spent 18 years there mostly in Poway, and experienced one time when the flames came down to our back fence, I know how terrifying that is to decide what to take with you as all of it has to fit in your car. It is a beautiful place, but it can sure turn into a nightmare at times like this. Good luck and I'm sure all the board is thinking thoughts to help you along.

Bailey
Pep
Posted 2003-10-27 11:35 AM (#202412 - in reply to #202407)

As one who has experienced losing a house to fire, grab the photo albums and home movies. Nearly everything else can be replaced.
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-10-27 12:48 PM (#202413 - in reply to #202407)

Well, in San Diego area, over 500 homes lost. Came back to the house about 7am this morning...so far all quiet, however wife and cats with father-in-law.

Thousands have been evacuated - about 3,500 military families alone. 5,000 stayed last night at the football stadium. Eleven confirmed dead and they are investigating two dozen others as potential deaths from fires.

Had to leave all of the guitars except the signed Les Paul last night...fortunately I didn't lose them last night by fire or scavengers. Today will be tough but if we make it through the next 24 hours - should be okay. That is unless we have arson on the mountain (at least that is what they call it) in my backyard.

As we left last night, my wife saw a large motor home leaving...maybe that's what we need down here, pull out a couple of miles and sit it out down at the beach.

Main fire here caused by hunter who got lost and lit a flare - he's in federal custody.
BruDeV
Posted 2003-10-27 8:49 PM (#202414 - in reply to #202407)

Closing all 65 schools in S.B. due to smoke and ash. One coworkers' mother lost her house and pickup truck, saved her photo albums and other pickup with camper shell. There's been some speculation about possible terrorist involvement.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-10-27 9:15 PM (#202415 - in reply to #202407)

In Las Flores (outside of Mission Viejo), we count ourselves lucky as all we are getting is smoke and ash coming from the Santa Ana winds from the fires in San Berdoo. Last year, the fires were in our backyard and we were considering evacuation.

Our prayers are with all out by the fires.
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-10-27 10:29 PM (#202416 - in reply to #202407)

Just brought my wife back home about an hour ago...so far, we escaped.

A lot of people all of the way up the coast are still being evacuated...our prayers are with them.
Englishplayer
Posted 2003-10-27 10:47 PM (#202417 - in reply to #202407)

Glad to hear you're safe. I've been watching the news and the fires are horrific. I heard about intense arson investigation. I hate to think that people would spread such misery. i hope that's not the case. Good luck to those on the brink. We had those types of winds up here in the Bay Area when the Oakland fires destroyed the Oakland Hills. The heat and speed of that type of wind is just incredible.
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-10-27 11:10 PM (#202418 - in reply to #202407)

The story on the news is that the major file in San Diego was caused by a hunter who got lost and shot a flare...he's in federal custody and faces charges. Now they may have to evacuate the Wild Animal Park.
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-28 1:16 AM (#202419 - in reply to #202407)

We, my wife and I, have been watching on line and on KTLA with great sorrow, as many of the places we travelled to and through are burning down, I think this is the worst. Good luck Tony, glad to hear your OK so far.

Bailey
stonebobbo
Posted 2003-10-29 12:21 AM (#202420 - in reply to #202407)

I hope all our SoCal brethren remain safe and unaffected by these unprecedented fires.

I grew up in Southern California, and learned from an early age the complete and total devastation that results from a Santa Ana whipped fire. We were all trained to be volunteer firefighters to safeguard the hills of my hometown in Palos Verdes. When living in Malibu, I spent three exhausting days on the front lines fighting the 1977 fire that roared from Agoura through the Canyon and to the ocean. We were very nearly trapped when a backfire went all wrong when the Santa Anas died and an onshore wind unexpectedly arose. This set of fires, though, is the worst I've ever seen (including the Oakland Hills fire of 1991 that consumed 3500 houses in just around 12 hours).

All I can say is get out quickly when recommended. It is amazing how fast these fires can travel.

Many thoughts and prayers are with you. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)