The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
What's sitting on this Custom Legend

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

playadamas
Posted 2003-10-27 5:50 PM (#202352)
Subject: What's sitting on this Custom Legend

A parlor size (5/8) Martin 5-28 (terz tuning - a minor third up) standing next to a vintage 1119. I am a happy camper. This little baby roars, I am truly surprised at it's volume and projection. Now I wish I can have a carbon fibre textured top Adamas in that size!

(Cliff, what do you think?)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-10-27 5:56 PM (#202353 - in reply to #202352)
Subject: Re: What's sitting on this Custom Legend

Michael:

I've always been amazed at the power of Martin parlor size guitars. I've got a very very old 0018 12 fret that's a nylon string, and the bass response is incredible.

By the way, I finally started your tapes this weekend. I'll give you a call towards the end of the week.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-27 6:08 PM (#202354 - in reply to #202352)

Michael, VERY nice!, but this ain't no Parlour guitar. A size 5 is considerably smaller than anything considered "Parlour" which is usually "0" or "00" with a standard scale length. Terz guitars were developed as a higher voice in "orchestral-style" or ensemble classical guitar arrangements and were originally gut-strung. Martin's steel-string version became pretty popular in Nashville studios as a rhythm instrument because it kinda sits right between regular guitar & high-string. Quite a few Nashville songwriters used the Martin size 5 in standard tuning, Marty Robbins is probably the most famous, who used a 5-18. The Tacoma Papoose is similar in concept, though it is tuned a 5th rather than a 3rd higher. The biggest sounding guitar I've ever heard was a 1920's all-mahogany Martin 17-style, size 2, which is a little bigger than a Terz guitar. Since then I've never been surprised at the bass response of smaller guitars.
playadamas
Posted 2003-10-27 6:15 PM (#202355 - in reply to #202352)

Paul,

You are probably right (as usual) about the terminology. Martin calls it a mini or terz guitar. I just borrowed the term "parlour" from some of the articles I'd read. The first time I saw this guitar was actually from Sting's video - the one he did a concert in his house in Italy, in the midst of 911. I just always wanted a travel size guitar without the shoebox or tinbox sound.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-27 7:58 PM (#202356 - in reply to #202352)

Michael, that's one hell of a "travel guitar"
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-28 1:34 AM (#202357 - in reply to #202352)

I agree with Paul, and , although Ive never heard one of those, I have to say that Martin knows how to make small guitars sing. I keep hearing in my mind an OO something that a jazz type player at the San Diego State folk festival in the 70's played that, I swear, sounded like it was plugged in when he was jamming at the jam sessions that the players did with us unwashed hoi polloi just to keep us in our place. His name might be recognized by some here if I could think of it, it is just outside of my consciousness. But that guitar looked small and sounded BIG.

Bailey
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)