The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
My first Legend (deal too good to be true?)

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

stellarjim
Posted 2003-10-28 6:29 PM (#202279)
Subject: My first Legend (deal too good to be true?)

I just picked up my first Ovation Legend on Ebay. This looked like such a good deal that I'm concerned about it being TOO obvious. I feel I must be missing something. Can you guys take a look and comment? Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2568308689&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6

Jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ralph
Posted 2003-10-28 6:56 PM (#202280 - in reply to #202279)
Subject: Re: My first Legend (deal too good to be true?)

It's a factory reconditioned guitar. Marked " Factory Reconditioned Guitar" on a separate label inside the sound hole. That's why the price is a bit low for this 10-year-old Ovation.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-10-28 7:04 PM (#202281 - in reply to #202279)

It may well be fine. The seller may not have a good idea of its true value and decided to post a "buy-it-now" at the money value he wanted out of it. The fact that it's factory reconditioned has a part to play in it.

What bothers me is the relative inexactness of the item description and the distance the pictures were taken away from the guitar. I'd certainly ask the seller to insure the guitar at shipping.

eBay will refund up to $200 (minus a $25 handling fee) if the item does not arrive or does not match the item description(he didn't give much of one...a problem).
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-28 8:13 PM (#202282 - in reply to #202279)

Deep-bowl cutaway with a 3-band Op24, great guitar! Looks like a great deal to me. Factory re-cons are about as good as a new guitar. They only difference is they came to the original buyer with a limited instead of lifetime warranty, but as a used guitar that's hardly an issue to you. If this guitar has gotten through ten years without a problem chances are it'll last the rest of your life if you treat it right. Don't worry about it.
stellarjim
Posted 2003-10-28 8:35 PM (#202283 - in reply to #202279)

Thanks for the comments. I've been looking for a deep to mid bowl Legend for a long time. Most seem to be super shallows. This one looked like a steal. I didn't feel like I had time to research it as well as I'd liked to have because I thought someone would have picked it up pretty quickly with such a low "buy it now".
Nils
Posted 2003-10-28 9:58 PM (#202284 - in reply to #202279)

Looks like a dandy deal to me.

/\/\/
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-29 1:56 AM (#202285 - in reply to #202279)

Someday, if I live to see it, there will be posts on this board lamenting the good old days when a perfectly good Ovation could be had for less than $400. Just some relevent examples, my friend Bill bought a 1929 Ford Model A in factory condition, 29" wheels and all for $25 in about 1950. I bought a 1941 Ford convertable in San Marcos Texas for $75 in pretty good condition, and a 1932 Ford 2 door in Virginia for $75, partially restored, in 1955. I don't see many of us OFC members SELLING our treasured Ovations for these prices.

Bailey
alpep
Posted 2003-10-29 6:16 AM (#202286 - in reply to #202279)

Bailey
unfortunately except for early Adamas guitars, Ovations are rather flat on the vintage market. This makes a good deal for the buyer but not so good a deal for a vendor. That is why many vendors are not interested in used ovations or even with carrying the line to begin with.
Jeff
Posted 2003-10-29 10:12 AM (#202287 - in reply to #202279)

I would agree that it looks like a real sweet deal... Congratulations!

Regarding the price, I just bought (via eBay)what appears to be a very early edition Legend (deep black bowl, non-cut, early '70's foil label), which looks to be in exceptionally clean condition, and I only paid $359.00 (the seller's reserve). As Al said regarding older Ovations it just seems to be more of a buyer's market right now.

Congrats again, looks like a great deal!

Jeff
Bradley
Posted 2003-10-29 10:17 PM (#202288 - in reply to #202279)

I'm not sure if it IS just Ovations going for a song now a days. I just sold my Gibson J-200. I could only get $1075 for it. Only a few bids.

On the other hand, it is a great time to buy. I took that $1075 and bought a guitar similar to this one currently on EBay, but by their new company Paragon.

Haida Gwaii Maple #50 Hand Made guitar

I already own a Haida Gwaii HGS (s for small, a little larger that a parlour). I have a picture in the gallery, but the pictures do not do it justice. As one person called it "What a piece of eye candy". There are only 69 of these guitars in existance, so who knows if someday they will be a collector's item.

He is also selling a Paragon Ebony guitar...

Paragon Ebony Guitar

I tried selling my Ovation Glen Campbell 12-string. It went through twice with a starting bid of $300 and no reserve and never got even 1 bid. At the end of the 2nd time through, I changed the strings and decided that this guitar was too good to just let go of for $300, so I boosted the price to $450.

I am considering selling my 1537 because I've been unable to sell anything else. It would probably be the only one I could sell at this time, but I doubt I would even get $600 for it.

Buy cheap, sell NEVER! (when it comes to good guitars).

Bradley
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)