The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Best acoustic/electric for around $300-$500?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Bootsinox
Posted 2003-10-29 8:50 PM (#202179)
Subject: Best acoustic/electric for around $300-$500?

Hello, this is my first post here. I was thinking about buying an applause/celebrity guitar but after reading up on it I noticed that they were more of an entry level guitar. The thing is I dunno how convinced that a US made Ovation is a huge step up. I've read here that they are better but nobody has explained why. Huge sound difference? Playability? construction?
I just don't want to feel like I'm paing more just because of where it's made. My main concern is getting a good guitar acoustic/electric for my recording studio. I need something that has a good range of sound and a good yet clear low end sound. I like the Ovation guitars but I am not 100% sure yet I still open to other brands. I like the CK057 Celebrity that I saw on Musicians Friend. Oh well... any info is appreciated, especially detailed info. :+)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-10-29 9:05 PM (#202180 - in reply to #202179)
Subject: Re: Best acoustic/electric for around $300-$500?

What you're asking is difficult to quantify. Especially when you're impressed with a guitar in a catalog. You've really got to go out and play the different guitars before deciding to buy one. Your hands will tell you which is easier to play. Your ears will tell you the best sound that suits your needs. And your eyes will tell you which guitar appears to be built the best.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but until you actually go out and play the different models (both USA and Korean built, and up and down the price range in each type) then everything said here will be meaningless. The only analogy that I can give you is look at the differce between a Toyota and a Mercedes. Then look at all the different Toyotas and all the different Mercedes.
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-10-29 9:10 PM (#202181 - in reply to #202179)

Good for the player, bad for the factory is that for $300-500, you can also find a good representation of the top of the line available used but in wonderful condition. May take a little patience but eBay has some great offerings.
Bootsinox
Posted 2003-10-29 9:17 PM (#202182 - in reply to #202179)

The main reason I asked is because I am on vacation and the country I am in has a crappy selection. hehe I can't just go to Guitar Center and check them out. I wanted a suggestion or two where to start. When I get back to the US, then I will compare with my own ear, until then some suggestions would help incase I do find a good buy here. Thanks :+)
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-10-29 9:22 PM (#202183 - in reply to #202179)

What I am about to say should get a lot of responses from others on this board...

For a top of the line, look at an older Custom Legend...whether 6 or 12-string, about 1/3 of the original price...got a great 1619 6-string for $350 several months ago. Sure it was a great deal and I would sell it for more but that's what I paid. What more can I say.
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-30 1:26 AM (#202184 - in reply to #202179)

Tony is right

If you read the many posts of members who have bought used US made Ovations, you will find almost 100% satisfaction, and for recording, with them you have some of the best electronics and acoustic sound available. I would buy some models just from the members description of their purchases. But, as always, check out everything as much as you can.

Bailey
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-10-30 11:16 AM (#202185 - in reply to #202179)

Bootsinox...

I agree with all of the above regarding the "playittoseeifyoulikeit" method... some well known guitars just don't fit the individual.

I do have one piece of advice: Talk to Al (alpep)... call him if you can. I have found that he is most willing and capable and will not steer you wrong!

tim
cliff
Posted 2003-10-30 11:21 AM (#202186 - in reply to #202179)

. . . just be sure to call him at 3AM (Jersey time).

He'll be more than happy to tell you where to "go".

:D
cliff
Posted 2003-10-30 11:27 AM (#202187 - in reply to #202179)

Seriously, Al DOES have a particular "pride" in trying to find the right Ovation for the right person. You be hard-pressed to find an alternative both price/service-wise.

(besides . . only two more "referrals" and I get a free M-O-B! :D ).
an4340
Posted 2003-10-30 11:37 AM (#202188 - in reply to #202179)

The kind of guitar, IMHO, you buy depends on how much money you want to spend, quality you want, and what you want to do with it. Soon, I'll be getting a new guitar, probably an Adamas, I still have to sell some more stuff to afford it. I have been trying lots of guitars, with a focus on ovations and adamas, comparing them to taylors, takamines and martins. I've found that dollar for dollar, again IMHO, ovations (both USA and Korea) and adamas are superior to the rest. Basically it's the intonation, correctness of tone across the fretboard, and playability that make them desirable. If this is your first acoustic electric, then the 0057 is great, this is what I have. And for the price range it is the best I've found. If you want to go out gigging with something sturdy, then you want the T1778. If want something for the studio then the custom legend, where you need it for you livlihood, will work. This is your livlihood so the extra money would be worth it. And if you want the best, IMHO, I've tried the adamas CVT, and it is a fantastic instrument. You can do a search here to see other discussions. Best of luck. Let us know what you get.
Eman
Posted 2003-10-30 2:21 PM (#202189 - in reply to #202179)

At the risk of pissing off a few members, I would advise you to buy used given your budget. There are plenty of excellent instruments out there awaiting a worthy musician. In the price range you mentioned, you won't find many good new guitars... in any reputable brand name.

If you up the price a couple hundred, you can get a new Balladeer. These are US made and very nice instruments. I worked out a deal with Guitar Center for a Balladeer Special for around $550.00 plus tax, including case. I ended up getting the same model, used, for approx. $350.00. For sound and playability, I prefer it to my Guild and Martin guitars.

It boils down to a personal decision based on your ears, your hands, your eyes and of course your wallet. All other things being equal though, I'd buy American whenever possible and you'll get more for your buck if you buy used. Good luck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)