The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Bought any brand new Ovation recently?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

alpep
Posted 2003-10-31 6:39 AM (#202156 - in reply to #202131)
Subject: Re: Bought any brand new Ovation recently?

Bailey owning an Ovation guitar is not a prerequisite for joining the message board. Sure it makes sense that you own one but how many posts have we seen were someone is asking advice for buying a guitar?

In some respects you are correct, most here already have their favorite guitar, but I am sure that many of us own more than one. The reasons we own more than one guitar is not important but yes many are still buying guitars for whatever reason.

for example. I own a balladeer. All my life I wanted an Adamas much like when I bought my impala I wanted a corvette. My postiion changes where I can now buy my dream guitar. I may keep my old one for sentimental reasons but buy a new one for pure indulgence.

Keep feeding the burro it is a long way to CT in March.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-10-31 7:16 AM (#202157 - in reply to #202131)

So far i've owned two Ovations and they were both secondhand instruments. This is mainly because

1. new Ovations are way too expensive on this side of the pond (as well as US made gibsons, fenders, martins etc.)
2. if I can buy a secondhand instrument of the same quality as a new one would be, but for a lower price, I don't care for a fresh factory specimen.

It's the manufacturers right to try to earn a living out of my purchases, but it's my right to not buy his instruments if i think they can be had second hand at reasonable prices. If this results in bad company results or low amounts of sold guitars, it's the manufacturers problem, not mine. If this leads to an ending of business it's a pity, but it's all in the game.

It's all just economics, not philantropy.

Just my 2 cents

Martin (my name, not my guitar)
TimG
Posted 2003-11-04 8:51 AM (#202158 - in reply to #202131)

I recently bought my first Ovation, as 12-string Legend 1866. I actually didn't start out wanting a 12-string. I decided that I needed a wide-neck guitar (1-3/4" or 1-7/8" wide nut), since I was having difficulty cleanly playing chords on my standard-neck guitars, due to my somewhat large hands. A friend suggested I try a 12-string. A local store happened to have an Ovation 1866, which I tried. Also tried a Tacoma Chief 6-string, with 1-3/4" neck, since they are very popular. I was amazed to find the Ovation was easier to play (for me). I'm so pleased by its big, bright sound, low action, ebony fretboard, cutaway, and shallow bowl. It's ALMOST a perfect instrument. The only thing that bugs me is that often, especially when I strum it forcefully, something buzzes or vibrates inside the body. Luckily, it doesn't seem to be noticeable by anyone else when I'm playing, and it is usually ignorable. Has anyone else experienced this mystery rumbling buzz in their Ovations?

Now that I've discovered the sweetness of Ovation guitars, I expect to purchase a Folklore in the future. I still need a 6-string with the wide neck. Maybe it will fit the bill.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-11-04 9:36 AM (#202159 - in reply to #202131)

Tim:

Watch ebay for the limited edition Folklore Deluxe. Ovation only made 50 of them. They have one of the best sounds of any Ovation I've ever heard and can be purchased for $1000-$1200. Worth every penny.

Take a look in Standingovation's photo gallery for a pic of one.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-11-04 12:56 PM (#202160 - in reply to #202131)

Tim, mysterious buzzes or rattles inside Ovations are not uncommon and fortunately are nothing to worry about. They are usually down to the preamp, battery holder, output jack or similar vibrating in sympathy to one or more frequencies. The bad news is that it's tricky to isolate which component is the culprit, especially with a centre-hole guitar. It's easier with the Elite/Adamas guitars as you can remove the back cover & feel around while someone plays the thing. Best bet is to remove the strings, get your hand inside & make sure all the electronics are tight. My SMT was driving me nuts with a vibration at A. Turned out to be the contact springs in the battery holder. My Mandolin had a strange rattle which had me concerned until I realised I only heard it when it was on the strap. Turned out to be the strap attachment mechanism on the Dunlop Straploks.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-11-04 1:04 PM (#202161 - in reply to #202131)

I had a similar "buzz" on my Balladeer S771... no one else ever heard it... I do have some frequency damage to my ears (Les Pauls played at "12" thru headphones) that causes a "buzz" when certain frequencies are played even on the radio... I figure that if no one else can hear it, then I'll ignore it.. like I ignore those voices........

tim
Bailey
Posted 2003-11-05 2:14 AM (#202162 - in reply to #202131)

I thought I had a buzz on my Viper, turns out it was just me falling asleep and snoring, causing me to wake up and wonder where that buzz came from.
SteveL778
Posted 2003-11-06 6:18 PM (#202163 - in reply to #202131)

I purchased a new Ovation Elite L778 yesterday. This is my first Ovation guitar and I'm very suprised about all the "negative" talk about recent sales. How are Ovation's sales compared to the Gibson,Martin, Fender etc?
Slipkid
Posted 2003-11-06 7:09 PM (#202164 - in reply to #202131)

Steve:
I am kinda new to this board ,too. I would not call the disscussion negative. Expectations are just very high. I am passionate (and protective) about my O.
Brad
SteveL778
Posted 2003-11-06 8:46 PM (#202165 - in reply to #202131)

I guess the word negative was used incorrectly mainly due to its ability to cause anguish or hostility. Basically, I have noticed that many of the posts coin Ovation as an underdog with reference to Martin, Gibson etc (I make no reference to quality). I have no biased toward any guitar company, if the unit sounds good then I consider purchasing that instrument. My above post was not directed negatively in any way. When someone is “passionate” about a subject they become defensive towards observations and opinions that stray from their idealistic view. I expect nothing but the best from Ovation and I am very excited about playing my Elite. I look forward to many years of uncompromised quality with this instrument and hope to contribute to this forum on a regular basis.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)