The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Another post about strings...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Norseman1
Posted 2003-10-31 10:30 AM (#202067)
Subject: Another post about strings...

O.K., I'm trying to find a happy meeting ground between myself and my CS255. In need of a neck reset I cannot afford, I have been able to get the lower frets (7th-down) playing nicely by having the nut lowered. With the truss rod screaming at full tension, and no more room to lower the saddle, I've decided to do what I can by lowering string tension, and of course down tuning.

O.K.,that being said, I just put a set of Martin phosphorous XL's on the guitar. Absolutely HATE the tinny "Strummy" sound. has the presence of Tiny Tim at an AC/DC concert.

Next step I am considering, is to try "Light" Silk and Steel strings. I understand the tension on the silk and steel is considerably less than their same weight Bronze sisters.Anybody have any experience or thoughts about the silk/steel? I remember going with the silk/nickel wound back in the day(late 70's) but don't really remember them well. My biggest concern is volume, as I have basically little to none unplugged.

Thoughts? I realize, I need to try them for myself to know for sure, I just thought if enough people give me a thumbs down, I may save myself $15.00 (as I just burned that amount on these extra lights I put on last night, and will be taking off ASAP).

Norseman1
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-31 10:43 AM (#202068 - in reply to #202067)
Subject: Re: Another post about strings...

Norse, silk & steel are designed for very lightly-built guitars. I don't think your Celeb fits that description. The low tension of the silk & steel strings will mean a reduction in volume & tone
Norseman1
Posted 2003-10-31 10:54 AM (#202069 - in reply to #202067)

Paul,

Would XL 80/20's perhaps sound better than the XL phosphorous. I always use phosphorous in the mediums and like them, but they just sound so thin and tinny in the XL's.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Norse(by the way Paul, I contacted my buddy about taking a pic. of his Gibson, and any serial number he can find to me. He is interested in learning more about it.)man1
Steve
Posted 2003-10-31 2:27 PM (#202070 - in reply to #202067)

You might try the Rohrbacher titanium strings; they pull less tension on the neck but are just as bright as steel strings and stay that way for a good while...
Norseman1
Posted 2003-10-31 2:39 PM (#202071 - in reply to #202067)

THanks Steve, I'll check into it.

Norseman1
xnoel
Posted 2003-10-31 2:52 PM (#202072 - in reply to #202067)

Norse,
You did not say why your guitar needed a neck reset, but if it is because the top/bridge is raising up, let me suggest you check this out:
Go online to JLD Guitar Research
They have made a device that works, I installed one on an Alvarez. I am not sure it would work on an Ovation, if in doubt call them, they are nice to work with.
Be sure to check out the installation options, one uses bridge pins, but the other might do the job. You have nothing to lose! The unit is about $30.00. They are located in New Mexico.

Noel
Nils
Posted 2003-10-31 3:12 PM (#202073 - in reply to #202067)

That sounds exactly like that POS Celebrity 12 string I had. The neck on it needed to be reset too. Hardly worth it. You might try some Elixir lights. They're much more comfortable & they still sound good.

/\/\/
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-10-31 6:59 PM (#202074 - in reply to #202067)

I could be wrong here but I suspect the JLD "bridge doctor" may not work on an Ovation. Because it essentially takes the string-load it needs to butt up against something substantial (i.e. the tail-block) and as Ovations don't use a tail block it may well be a non-starter. They have a version that works on pinless bridges but I think they are designed for a conventional X-brace & bridge-plate so Ovation's bracing patterns could be another obstacle. I've installed a couple of these on seriously pulled tops on non-Ovations & they work.
Bradley
Posted 2003-10-31 10:11 PM (#202075 - in reply to #202067)

I had the JLD installed on my Gibson to fix a slight warping of the top just before I sold it. It did a good job and wasn't very expensive. They come built in on the Breedlove guitars allowing them to use lighter bracing. I own a Breedlove MJ/E 12 string.

I wish they did work on Ovations, but as stated you need something solid like the tail block. You might want to give them a call or email.I heard they are very friendly and could talk your ear off about their system. Maybe they have a suggestion.

Bradley
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)