The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
string sustain cancelation & buzz

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

cmikec
Posted 2003-10-31 10:44 PM (#202040)
Subject: string sustain cancelation & buzz

I get a sustain cancelation when I play an "A" note on the 5th fret, 6th string. It does'nt seem to be a fret problem. I wonder if it is a flaw in the internal guitar bracing, slightly loose and vibrating at frequency that cancels the "A" note. I'm guessing at this point. Thanks for any input. Charles. (Ovation 35th Anniversery model)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-11-01 5:27 AM (#202041 - in reply to #202040)
Subject: Re: string sustain cancelation & buzz

If it only happens at this position and string, it does sound to me like a fret problem. If it would have to do something with the frequency, it seems to me it should happen at different positions as well.

Martin
cmikec
Posted 2003-11-01 9:36 AM (#202042 - in reply to #202040)

Thanks for your reply (grrroovedude). What you said makes good sense. I must update the diagnosis. I said the sus-cancelation happens at the 5th fret, 6th string. I must add that it also happens with the open "A" string (sheepish grin). Would you go with the frequency theory now. Do you know if the repair would be a lengthly undertaking at Ovation using warrenty? Any experience by anyone? Thanks, Charles :)
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-11-01 12:54 PM (#202043 - in reply to #202040)

Sounds like a fret problem to me, you may have 1 or more very slightly high frets above the 5th. Try raising the action at the bridge by putting in a shim or 2. If that fixes it then it's a fret problem. A fret-dress should cure it. Also check that the neck has enough relief, though this should not really be an issue at the 5th fret & above.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)