The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Harmonics

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Nils
Posted 2003-11-03 1:52 AM (#201914)
Subject: Harmonics

I have been doing some stuff that involves playing harmonics & I've noticed something-both of my Ovations (1612-1858) play harmonics both easier & louder than any of my other guitars, including my 175. I had noticed that my 12 string played a lot better harmonics than the others a while back, then after I got the 1612 I tried harmonics on it & I noticed the same thing- much easier & much louder. (All strings being fairly new.) Anyone have an explanation for this?

/\/\/
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2003-11-03 6:33 AM (#201915 - in reply to #201914)
Subject: Re: Harmonics

maybe you just have more practice
iconocoustica
Posted 2003-11-03 8:40 AM (#201916 - in reply to #201914)

I think it is a result of the roundback giving more clarity to the sound than conventional designs. On harmonics, this clarity is more obvious.

Franklin
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-11-03 12:30 PM (#201917 - in reply to #201914)

Nils, funny you mention this. I thought i had noticed this, but tossed it aside thinking it was just my imagination.

Martin
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-11-03 2:07 PM (#201918 - in reply to #201914)

I know it is for a totally different reason, but on the Viper electrics you can play harmonics almost flawlessly with little effort or practice. Much easier than any other guitar unless you get into some really high-end models, and even then, not necessarily. I know on the Viper it's because of the bridge, because that dynamic changed on the one Viper I have when I swtiched the bridge.

I do think on the Acoustics it's because of the round back and the tops. Most boxes it's hard enough to project actual string tones above the 5th fret, let alone harmonics above the 12th fret. The tops play an important role and Ovations bracing really allows the tops to "speak up" and project whatever the strings are doing, no matter the fret, or the frequency.
Nils
Posted 2003-11-03 9:24 PM (#201919 - in reply to #201914)

Thanks for the input guys. There is definitely a difference. I had a longer reply to this but I'm still on the olp confuser & it locked up a little & I lost it. I almost have the Dell ready to take over but I can't get the Dell to import my addy book. It took my favorites from this one fine, only took 3 minutes, but I'm having a problem with the addys for some reason. I might have to call the Dell guy again. I'm glad I spent the $39 for the one year of help guy. They know what they're doing when I call.

/\/\/
Nils
Posted 2003-11-03 9:30 PM (#201920 - in reply to #201914)

HA, I got it figured out! Now I can change computers!

I'll be BACK!

/\/\/
Nils
Posted 2003-11-03 9:45 PM (#201921 - in reply to #201914)

Hot doggies here I am on the new Dell with the little dinky keyboard. I think I'm gunna plug in my old bent in the middle Microsoft keyboard.... But this machine seems to be working!

/\/\/
Bailey
Posted 2003-11-04 1:20 AM (#201922 - in reply to #201914)

Nils

Crank it up to warp speed and GO. Getting a new computer is ALMOST as good as getting a new guitar.
Nils
Posted 2003-11-04 8:24 PM (#201923 - in reply to #201914)

I'm getting everything transferred as quickly as I can :) This new Dell hauls butt!

/\/\/
stonebobbo
Posted 2003-11-04 10:01 PM (#201924 - in reply to #201914)

One thing my Ovations do really well (especially my 2000 Collectors) is giving me a clear, ringing "fretted harmonic" (not sure exactly what to call it). In a tune of mine, I fret the B and high E string at the third fret and play harmonics off the 15th fret (using my forefinger for the harmonic whilst using a pick between my thumb and up-yours finger). It's sort of a test when I try different guitars very few of 'em produce anything but a thunk.
Bailey
Posted 2003-11-05 1:27 AM (#201925 - in reply to #201914)

Keep in mind compadres that the Ovation round back was designed to project the guitar sound and enhance it, it is bound to improve harmonics.
Chuck (Retired Navy)
Posted 2003-11-05 7:29 AM (#201926 - in reply to #201914)

Stonebobbo, can this be done using a capo at the third fret and then playing the harmonics off the 15th?
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-11-05 8:16 AM (#201927 - in reply to #201914)

Nils,

I agree with you about the remarkable harmonics on the Ovations... I get them also... they just go on and on and on....

I have also experienced another phenomenom: When playing the Ovations (unplugged or plugged in) I actually get an "in the body bone vibration" that I have NEVER felt from any other guitar! Surely it is the contact between my hipbone and the "roundback" that sends the sympathetic vibrations racing through my bones. Must be made from that old helicopter!

Not only are Ovations beautiful and sound exquisite, but they actually touch the heart of the player! My Hummingbird nerver did that, nor would I guess do Martins, et al.

My days of being a Gibson Snob are over! I'm now a certified O-Snob!

tim
iconocoustica
Posted 2003-11-05 8:38 AM (#201928 - in reply to #201914)

In answer to Chuck's question, yes, if you put a capo on the third fret you will get a natural harmonic on the 15th fret, equivalent to the 12th fret harmonic on an open string. The huge advantage of the artificial harmonic expertly described by stonebobbo is that you can play a harmonic on any note you want, allowing you to play a melodic line entirely in harmonics! It takes some practice, but sounds damn fine on an O :)

Franklin
Nils
Posted 2003-11-06 1:51 AM (#201929 - in reply to #201914)

Originally posted by Tim Chapman:
Nils,

I have also experienced another phenomenom: When playing the Ovations (unplugged or plugged in) I actually get an "in the body bone vibration" that I have NEVER felt from any other guitar! Surely it is the contact between my hipbone and the "roundback" that sends the sympathetic vibrations racing through my bones. Must be made from that old helicopter!

Not only are Ovations beautiful and sound exquisite, but they actually touch the heart of the player! My Hummingbird nerver did that, nor would I guess do Martins, et al.

My days of being a Gibson Snob are over! I'm now a certified O-Snob!

tim

I know what you're talking about. It usually happens when I get something going that's flowing along unusually well.
I don't get in the body bone vibrations exactly, I get more of an in the body fat vibration. I get vibrations but I think the fat dampens 'em out before they get to bones. Pleasant none the less.

/\/\/
Nils
Posted 2003-11-06 2:08 AM (#201930 - in reply to #201914)

The "fretted harmonic" thing is an interesting idea. I never thought of that. I'll try it out tomorrow. Thanks guys.

/\/\/
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-11-06 3:39 AM (#201931 - in reply to #201914)

Nils, if you come across the new Toto live DVD I recommend watching the section 'Japan'. It's in the informal/bonus section of the DVD. Steve Lukather is rehearsing for his acoustic solospot and, besides playing some very nice jazzprogressions at unimaginable speed, he throws in a lot of fretted harmonics. Sound quality is bad, but it gives an impression of how to play with them.

Also, in a completely different line of sports Eddie Van Halen is a master in playing fretted harmonics. Listen to his solospot on the Van Halen Live Right Here, Right Now CD.

Martin
Slipkid
Posted 2003-11-06 11:30 AM (#201932 - in reply to #201914)

Tim C.
YES! I guess am not the only one who feels that! That body vibe thing is great. Held tight up to the ribs my old deep bowl feels great. Sometimes I'll drop my chin down on the top to feel the sound.
Brad
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-11-06 11:53 AM (#201933 - in reply to #201914)

Slipkid:

Isn't it great!

I NEVER had that happen with any other guitar (well, I lie. I do remember that when I played my old Les Paul turned up to "12" and stood in front of the Kustom Stack (also turned up to "12"), my body felt the vibrations [also gave me tinnitus]!)

Never happened with an acoustic guitar though!

Once again Ovation is remarkable!

tim
an4340
Posted 2003-11-06 3:35 PM (#201934 - in reply to #201914)

An observation, re:feeling vibrations --- the guitar IMO is a viseral instrument in that when I play it I cradle my body around it, I can feel the vibrations in my body. Other instruments you play out and away from you, but with the guitar you surround it. You can sense the vibrations in your ear, but you can also feel them. There's that drummer in Scotland whose stone deaf, but she plays by feeling the rythym and the tone. I wish I could remember her name. To a certain extent all of us are like that. I've seen deaf people listen to the piano and the guitar by putting their hands on them. Ovations transmit vibration very well. That's what makes them sound so good.
Nils
Posted 2003-11-07 1:48 AM (#201935 - in reply to #201914)

I put a new set of Elixir Lights (.012's) on my 1612 this evening. I had ordered them last week & picked them up with the 9 sets of Elixir 12 string sets. $150 & he gave me a new nut to replace the cracked one on our painter's Epiphone flattop. Anyway, when I got it tuned up I tried the fretted harmonics on the 15th. It makes a really loud *plinggg*. Way cool! I'm gunna muddle around with those. I want to try it on my Elite 12 asap. Thanks for the other suggestions about the videos etc. guys, I'll see what I can find.
Btw, the 1612 plays great with the Elixirs. I didn't even see a need to pull another shim like I had planned, it's just fine. In fact it's better than fine, it's rapidly becoming my main-squeeze, guitar wise. Changing strings from the D'Addarios to the Elixirs made it *much* more comfortable to play, those D'Addarios were meat grinders compared to the Elixirs. Did I mention that I tightened the truss rod a quarter turn last week? When I put the nut back on after it arrived I just snugged it up to the point where I was sure it wouldn't come loose & left it at that. (You may remember I posted that it had fallen off in shipment.) The other night I thought what the hell & tightened it a quarter turn. Definite improvement. Lower strings & lighter feel. That's one of the things I really like about American O's, if you don't like something about the way they play you can adjust 'em until they suit you. I only have the two (so far) but both of them are *very* nice to play at this point. The sound that comes out of the deep bowl 1612 is really something.

/\/\/
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)