The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Solo instrumental song - needed tonight. Suggestions?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

bvince
Posted 2008-10-29 5:38 PM (#14459 - in reply to #14434)
Subject: Re: Solo instrumental song - needed tonight. Suggestions?

I'd just start some latin/jazz improv stuff and let it take its course. If you play jazz you can carry it out for quite a long time. I like some of the old Tuck Andress stuff. If worse come to worse, tell em' you need to take a short break and put on a CD. There's an easy 25-30 minutes.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Steve A
Posted 2008-10-29 10:56 PM (#14460 - in reply to #14434)

"Blackbird by the Beatles works well as an instrumental.
Damon67
Posted 2008-10-30 1:48 AM (#14461 - in reply to #14434)

OK FlySig, other great groups have run into hard times, where a band member was absent, and had to "tighten the belts" so to speak, and come up with a new direction.

Case in point, and maybe the answer to you question, "Jazz Odyssey" by Derek Smalls (Spinal Tap)

Written by Derek, this instrumental premiered at Themeland Amusement Park in Stockton, California, during the 1982 tour despite David's reluctance to "do a free-form jazz exploration in front of a festival crowd."

As it turned out, only a sparse crowd was on hand to witness the rebirth of Tap sans Nigel. It may have been a good thing: Nigel is not a fan of jazz. "Jazz," he said in 1992," is just a series of mistakes without the 'oops.' " Nigel has also lambasted jazz guitarists for playing so soft. "I don't understand it. They use this bizarre tone on their guitars; it's like it's under a tub of water. It's like plup-plup-plup-plup-plup, like a little motor boat. But I think that's because they're old people, and they don't like the noise. And of course they play soft, so you can't hear them. Then they go, 'Yeah, I'm a great player.' 'Sure, mate. I've gotta take your word for it.' With me, I play loud. My manhood is right on the table. Examine it, pick it up, if you will."

Derek: "Hopefully there's a bit of Jazz Odyssey in everything we play." Asked if the band would ever record Jazz Odyssey, Derek replied, "To record it, I think, would be to imprison a bird that must fly free."
FlySig
Posted 2008-10-30 10:39 AM (#14462 - in reply to #14434)

Thanks for all the suggestions. We'll look into those for future shows.

Last night went well, in that I didn't embarrass Sara. The restaurant was nearly empty at first, so we started with our duet stuff. Having only run through a couple of the songs one time at home, they were a bit rough but we faked our way through it. She had nearly an hour of solo material that went very well. Then I played Norwegian Wood for a couple of minutes of filler.

On her ten minute break she ate her free meal and finished up her calculus homework. Then back on stage for her second set. This time she had me come up in the middle and we did 3 of the 4 songs and did them quite well. We jammed to one of her songs, Kings and Queens, which was fun. At the end of the set I did Norwegian Wood again, then did an instrumental preview of a new song with a working title of "Chaos" to fill some time.

Repeat for the third set. Over all a good night for her having to be up there solo for so long, and great for me to have the opportunity to perform with her.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-10-30 10:44 AM (#14463 - in reply to #14434)

I wouldn't have been able to stay up that late on a school night, even though I haven't been in school for 30 years. Congrats, Dad. Not embarassing your daughter is a major accomplishment.
Damon67
Posted 2008-10-30 10:51 AM (#14464 - in reply to #14434)

Sounds like ya did good. Nice work there FlySig.
nonis
Posted 2008-10-30 1:28 PM (#14465 - in reply to #14434)

Bramfatura by Joey Eppard
Oh I missed the cut. =P
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)