The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
LATEST SCAM

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

samova
Posted 2003-11-04 7:58 PM (#201778)
Subject: LATEST SCAM

Well last month i learned about the Nigerian scam.The one where you post a guitar for sale on Harmony central or Guitar exchange and sudenly your bombarded by guys wanting to send you $5000 for your $600 guitar.They then ask you to keep the $600 plus shipping and western union them the rest overseas..I had over 25 offers like this..
Here is the lastes scam..I was bidding on an alvarez yairi on ebay(This is my newest guitar to collect now).Anyway, i lost the winning bid by $25 dollars or so and just forgot about it.Well the next day i get an e-mail from someone claiming to be the owner of the guitar.He said the winner of the auction backed out of the deal and for me to western union him the money and he would sell me the guitar.I checked things out with the winner of the guitar and the seller of the guitar and no such thing had happened..It seems the scammers e-mail all the loosers of the ebay auction and try to collect money by claiming the winner of the auction backed out.BE CAREFUL!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2003-11-05 5:56 AM (#201779 - in reply to #201778)
Subject: Re: LATEST SCAM

sam
there are so many scams out there that I just can't count them all.

the best advice is to be careful

Al
Adaman
Posted 2003-11-06 11:24 AM (#201780 - in reply to #201778)

To see what happens with these scams have a look at what this guy does when he pretends to follow them up!

http://www.quatloos.com/brad-c/directory01.htm

or this site!

http://www.nigerianscams.org/
Ralph
Posted 2003-11-06 8:32 PM (#201781 - in reply to #201778)

Sam, I thought you were die hard Ovation fan, or at least USA product fan, like most forum members :)

Why are you collecting this Japanese guitar? Are they better than USA Ovation?
samova
Posted 2003-11-07 4:35 PM (#201782 - in reply to #201778)

Ralph, although i am an ovation fan and have almost every rare model ovation ever made i am looking at the Alvarez Yairi's because they really do sound nice and are a quality guitars and great value for the money..I have bought several (5) already and love the sound and craftmanship of these guitars..As with Ovation i have been focussing on the early models..I bought a 1972 DY90 with brazilian rosewood on it and it sounds great.Its a copy of a martin D 45 basically...
Ralph
Posted 2003-11-07 5:20 PM (#201783 - in reply to #201778)

Sam, I was just pulling your leg :)

IMO, it would be silly to own ONLY Ovation. You are very smart. You care about quality rather than country of origin. Alvarez Yairi are great value for the money.
Beal
Posted 2003-11-07 7:38 PM (#201784 - in reply to #201778)

Sam, We all know that you really are after the Alvarez that was shaped just like an Ovation. It's OK, you can admit it to us. We won't tell anyone. This way you can have your wood and eat it too. It's OK, we understand. It happens in the best of families. It's not your fault.
Bailey
Posted 2003-11-08 2:11 AM (#201785 - in reply to #201778)

I remember when the Alvarez Yairis came on the market in the early 70's. Mr. Yairi was a first class designer and his guitars gave Martin a run for the money, they probably were better as Japan was at it's peak of producing acoustic guitars and US makers were all in a "slump" (like Tiger Woods is in a "slump") as Japan had snagged on to the best wood, and was introducing some real quality. It was that same "slump" that put Ovation on the map, and it was caused by a drift of all forms of music to Les Pauls and Fenders. The opportunity was in acoustics, that's why our beloved Vipers, Deacons, and Breadwinners didn't take off, they were bucking the tidal wave of Tele's.
samova
Posted 2003-11-08 12:05 PM (#201786 - in reply to #201778)

Bill, actually i am looking for one of those roundback "woodyback" Yairi guitars..Damn, did i just say "woody"......Anyway, i figured i had better let some of the other "Ovation" guys get some Ovation guitars..After all how many slotheads can one guy have!! LOL
Bob Mintus
Posted 2003-11-08 1:18 PM (#201787 - in reply to #201778)

I have a 1980 DY-76 12-string. It's been very solid, requiring nothing over the years I've had it with the exception of a new pickguard (the original one started resembling a potato chip about 5 years ago. I looked at several Ovations at the time I bought the Yairi. Can't quite remember why I made the choice. Funny how I'm looking at a new Ovation now.

The Alvarez Yairi has taken some abuse - it rides in my car occasionally for extended periods, although I try to be careful when the temperatures get warm or cold. Not a sign of checking that I can see yet. Just a few minor scuffs and scratches that were my fault.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)