The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
eBay: Deep Bowl Stereo Custom Legend Black

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Standingovation
Posted 2003-11-05 8:06 AM (#201754)
Subject: eBay: Deep Bowl Stereo Custom Legend Black

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2570699733&category=47064

Very nice old Custom Legend deep bowl and a nice low "Buy It Now" price. This will probably go quickly.

Dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page
iconocoustica
Posted 2003-11-05 8:41 AM (#201755 - in reply to #201754)
Subject: Re: eBay: Deep Bowl Stereo Custom Legend Black

That one really is a black beauty!

Franklin
Bailey
Posted 2003-11-06 1:49 AM (#201756 - in reply to #201754)

Once in a while I regret not being born rich, this is one of those times. That guitar would look nice by my brick fireplace. I watched the CMA awards tonight and I speculated on the outlook of those stars that can play any guitar they want, and how it must take some of the pleasure out of owning that one guitar that one has always wanted. I'd like to have that ability just long enough to order this guitar.
richardd
Posted 2003-11-06 4:26 PM (#201757 - in reply to #201754)

I own a 96' model of this guitar.

IMHO, the Custom Legend (particularly in black)is the most beautiful looking acoustic guitar of them all.
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-11-06 5:05 PM (#201758 - in reply to #201754)

The newer headstock is great (see below) but then, no carved bridge. Not sure what is the greater sacrifice. Newer neck sure looks great on my 6759 12-string.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2569496353&category=47064&rd=1
Ralph
Posted 2003-11-06 5:32 PM (#201759 - in reply to #201754)

Bailey, you don't need to be born rich for this $500 guitar!! You have a house with brick fireplace. You are RICH by world standard.

Besides, many successful, rich, & famous people are not born rich.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-11-06 5:36 PM (#201760 - in reply to #201754)

Sometimes it's not the $$$ that is the problem... it's being able to say "Yes, Dear, I really do need another guitar" in a convincing manner!

tim
cliff
Posted 2003-11-06 5:59 PM (#201761 - in reply to #201754)

I've always taken another tack by just going out, playing and earning the extra scratch. I'll either "back-up" somebody or just find some place I can book myself for the night. Even if it don't pay all that much. "Shit" money is still MONEY. I can usually get $100/night + tips. Even if a place just paid $50/gig, in 10 gigs you gotta $500 guitar (tip jar might getcha an extra 10). If ya' love to play, I look at it as "re-investing". (Besides, a good bar crowd is a HELL of a lot more entertaining than the fuckin' TV!) ;)

Like the Nike ads say; "Just DO it".
Ralph
Posted 2003-11-06 6:21 PM (#201762 - in reply to #201754)

Yup, just do it.

If there is a will, there is a way. If there is no will, there are always excuses.

$50/gig ain't shit money. It's good money plus lots of fun.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-11-06 6:30 PM (#201763 - in reply to #201754)

$50 a gig might be decent pocket money or a fun way to finance a new guitar but it is totally shit money if it's your only or main source of income. One way or another I make a very good living from music, but if I had to rely on gig wages only I'd be destitute. There are a significant number of venue operators who prey on the fact that musicians want (or need) to play. When you take into account investment in instruments & sound equipment, the years spent learning your craft, maintaining a vehicle to get to gigs, and the hours & grief involved in doing a show, then most musicians at club level work for significantly less than minimum wage. I consider gig wages payment for everything except the time I spend onstage, that's the fun part, I do that for free. I get paid for carting, setting-up & tearing-own sound equipment, rehearsing, driving miles to & from gigs, dealing with asshole audiences or club owners etc etc etc.

Yeah, just do it, But do not sell yourself short, and make sure the fuckers who are reaping the benefits of your talent pay appropriately
richardd
Posted 2003-11-07 7:23 PM (#201764 - in reply to #201754)

Don't know about other countries but gig money here in Australia hasn't really improved in years.

Clubs here are making more money than ever these days but are getting meaner and meaner with what they will pay and when you try and stick to your price there's always some moron who'll do it for next to nothing.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-11-07 9:44 PM (#201765 - in reply to #201754)

Originally posted by richardd:

there's always some moron who'll do it for next to nothing.

Exactly, and the venue operators exploit this as much as they can. In London some venues operate a "pay to play" policy & there's enough idiots who will do it. Everyone who performs in public should be a member of a musicians or performers union. It's interesting to see the hourly rate recommended for live performance by the UK Musician's union compared to what most venues actually pay.
Bailey
Posted 2003-11-08 1:17 AM (#201766 - in reply to #201754)

I agree with Cliff and Paul here

Cliff's attitude about earning what it takes to get what you want has always been my philosophy to some extent. I always pushed to earn what I needed and what I felt I was worth, rather than depriving my family by saying we can't do or have that, and it cost me some days and nights of overtime etc. (one year in CA in the 60's, I worked more hours of overtime than regular time, and that helped me get established after moving there from Ohio with 3 kids and little else). I'm retired now and don't do that anymore.

As Paul T. so correctly points out, one of the great tragedies of playing music is the attitude of those who don't play that we should be happy just getting up there and showing off, after all it is PLAYING not working. Those that can't play think they would just be happy for the applause and why would anyone want money for such a fun thing. I'll leave it to Paul to say why someone might want money after years of learning a trade that is harder than almost any other, that's why people applaud.

Bailey

The reason I wished I had been born rich is because I don't feel like working those long overtime hours anymore.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-11-08 4:34 AM (#201767 - in reply to #201754)

Regardless of whether aspects of the job are fun, and much of being a musician is, we have to remember that as well as artists we are also service providers. The entertainment we provide draws customers to venues & keeps them there, which generates profit for the owner. They guy who delivers beer to a venue gets paid and no-one questions the validity of that, the musicians who are responsible for a room full of people to drink it deserve to be paid accordingly
Bailey
Posted 2003-11-09 1:55 AM (#201768 - in reply to #201754)

Right on Paul!!
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-11-09 9:18 AM (#201769 - in reply to #201754)

And to add to Paul's point, I go to a venue to hear the musician, NOT to drink beer, so the musician should certainly get paid a bunch MORE.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-11-09 2:59 PM (#201770 - in reply to #201754)

My point about beer was not meant to be fatuous, the sale of alcohol pays many musicians wages. We're talking bread & butter, club-level here. Last time I visited New Orleans there were Clubs operating a minimum spend policy, so if you didn't drink you were "asked" to leave.
Bailey
Posted 2003-11-10 12:26 AM (#201771 - in reply to #201754)

Dang

I was asked to leave 'cause I DID drink a few times, but not in New Orleans.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)