The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Zevon, Cash and others

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-11-06 1:08 PM (#201685)
Subject: Zevon, Cash and others

This is a little off-topic, but it certainly is about music.

Is anyone else offended at the notion of certion posthumous awards? The entire industry ignors great figures in music and then finally decide to give those figures recognition after they die. The real sad part is that when done this way, it's just such an obvious attempt to get more people to watch the awards show anyway.

I'm sorry but if they weren't worth recognizing during the 40+ years they were making the music, then doing it after the fact is more of an insult than anything.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-11-06 1:17 PM (#201686 - in reply to #201685)
Subject: Re: Zevon, Cash and others

I couldn't agree more! It's just the same as not telling a family member that you love them until it's too late.

I feel that the recognition should be loud and strong while they are alive!

One thing about posthumus recognition is that it give an opportunity for the "praisers" to gain publicity that they perhaps do not deserve!

tim
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-11-06 1:22 PM (#201687 - in reply to #201685)

Unfortunately true...not just in the music industry.

Fortunately, even through the stage lights, they see the appreciation of their fans.
an4340
Posted 2003-11-06 3:16 PM (#201688 - in reply to #201685)

Tony's right.
Slipkid
Posted 2003-11-06 3:28 PM (#201689 - in reply to #201685)

I think that type of award soothes the collective loss we feel. I know I have listened to more Johnny Cash in the last few months than I had in a long time. And I appreciate it more. Like the song says..."You don't know what you got till it's gone".
Brad
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-11-06 7:25 PM (#201690 - in reply to #201685)

It's also amazing how the demise of an artist generates the the re-release of obscure back catalog. I just bought an album called "Warren Zevon - The First Sessions" which is a bunch of tracks & unrealeased demos taken from his first album "Lyme & Cybell" back in '66. It doesn't suck quite as bad as "Wanted, Dead Or Alive" but it's far from essential listening, even for a Zevon nut like me.
Norseman1
Posted 2003-11-07 12:50 PM (#201691 - in reply to #201685)

I always thought it awkward though to give Lifetime Acheivement awards to people who are ALIVE! I'd feel like they're all given me for dead.

I have no problem recognizing someone's acheivements after they pass away, it's just a shame more don't do it while they are still alive!

Norse(Thanks Mom, I Love you ...said it often before you died, and still do)man1
alpep
Posted 2003-11-07 3:06 PM (#201692 - in reply to #201685)

well something makes me think the only way I will get any awards is when I am dead.
Bailey
Posted 2003-11-08 2:37 AM (#201693 - in reply to #201685)

WELL

I just gave Al the "Meanest SOB on the Board" award, followed by the "Biggest Sucker for a Sob Story" award, followed by the award for owning an obsolete but beloved vehicle, a monstrous pickup discuised as an SUV, a 1990 Suburban, and the biggest award of the night, the award for sticking with Ovations when his in laws were all moving into the Fender, Gibson camp, resulting in New Jersey Tommy Gun shootouts. Bitch about that Al, unless you died while I was awarding them.

I had the pleasure of hearing Johnny Cash for the first time in the mid50's and having my hair stand on end as I realized, this was a star. There is no describing the feeling of hearing those early Sun records of Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee, et al, and realizing that a major change had struck our country music complacency. Then, in Virginia in the mid 50's, the Southern red neck ladies were seduced by a devil called Elvis. But they had already been softened up by people called the Caddilacs, in the south country music was replaced by rock and roll long before the Beatles, I know, I was there, my '49 Ford radio was tuned to a conglomeration of R & B and country, "The Magic Touch", "The Great Pretender", "Love Letters in the Sand", as I spent 10-12 hour sessions driving from Virginia to Ohio with obsession keeping me from sleeping at the wheel and Mac Wiseman keeping me awake.
75balladeer
Posted 2003-11-10 10:32 PM (#201694 - in reply to #201685)

Warren Zevon used Ovations (12 String Legends and a 1980 Collector 6 string for many years in his live performances. If you have seen the last pictures on his website, playing at the Calgary shows, you will see him playing a Gibson. What a shame. Many other former Ovation players have defected as well. I just saw Al Stewart back in September, at a little club in MA. playing a Taylor. Ever seen the CD "Rhymes in Rooms"? It's got two Ovations on the cover, and the whole thing is played on nothing but by both he and Peter White (who probably doesn't play them anymore, either). Ovation (Kaman Corp.), has done nothing to cultivate and maintain the stable of stars playing their instruments. Why should we wonder about the difficulty finding a selection to play in a store? About two years ago, I suggested a limited run of a WZ 12 Legend, 6 String to match, with his logo on the 12th to the powers that be. It was poo-poohed as something that would never sell because his appeal was so limited. So much for that! It wouldn't have been a Gibson we saw at his last live shows....
alpep
Posted 2003-11-11 7:39 AM (#201695 - in reply to #201685)

I am not so sure about celebrity named instruments. Martin makes them by the bushel full. I think just getting the stock product into the hands of the current players would be good enough.
cliff
Posted 2003-11-11 8:53 AM (#201696 - in reply to #201685)

". .I am not so sure about celebrity named instruments. Martin makes them by the bushel full. I think just getting the stock product into the hands of the current players would be good enough. ."

Then why is Melissa being forced down our throats? :D
alpep
Posted 2003-11-11 9:21 AM (#201697 - in reply to #201685)

Melissa and Al Demiola are the only 2 celebrity named guitars that Ovation/Adamas has so I guess that answers your question.
Strummin12
Posted 2003-11-11 11:44 AM (#201698 - in reply to #201685)

"I have no problem recognizing someone's acheivements after they pass away, it's just a shame more don't do it while they are still alive!"

I'm with you. I don't watch award shows anyway, but I've had the experience a few times of "discovering" an artist within days of their passing away-simply because the TV and radio stations play their music during that time-when they otherwise don't. I wish it wasn't that way...especially in the case of Stevie Ray. I didn't know anything about him until the day he died. I heard his stuff all that day on the local radio station, was blown away, and immediately went and bought his catalog as a result. Man, I wish I knew who he was while he was alive, and could've seen him live.

There's so many great musicians out there who don't get airplay, but deserve it. We get bombarded by crappy mediocre pop songs over and over on the mainstream radio. What a crime. Even the "classic" rock stations, who's "format" allows for a tremendous selection of quality material to be played, ends up playing the same freakin songs week after week, at nearly the same time each day. They are often great songs, but the station could certainly dig deeper into the artists' bodies of work, and not dilute it saturation of the "hits" as per their dictated schedule. Shit, I think the only Zevon song I've ever heard (to my knowledge) is Werewolves in London. Thanks to you guys, I have the urge to dig deeper.

Such is life. I'm looking forward to the upcoming changes in the way music will be distributed...hopefully radio will become more dictated by listeners than by record execs...and the songs and players that deserve airplay will get their due. We'll see. Then we'll hear the greats before they are dead.

(sigh)
Johnny
Bluebird
Posted 2003-11-11 11:56 AM (#201699 - in reply to #201685)

I have been a huge Stevie Ray fan since "Texas Flood" was released in '82. I wore out an album and two cassettes of that release...I was real glad when the cd of that came out!
I remember the exact time/place I was at when I heard of his death, just as I do with Elvis.

Wayne
Nils
Posted 2003-11-11 2:57 PM (#201700 - in reply to #201685)

I dunno, I just wish it was the other way around :p

/\/\/
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-11-11 5:38 PM (#201701 - in reply to #201685)

You're barking up the wrong tree there.
Nils
Posted 2003-11-11 7:23 PM (#201702 - in reply to #201685)

I quit barking years ago :)

/\/\/
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)