The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Just bought my 1st Ovation...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

SteveL778
Posted 2003-11-06 1:24 PM (#201675)
Subject: Just bought my 1st Ovation...

Hi guys,

I just ordered my first Ovation guitar from a place called Litz music center. I am lefty so my options were very limited to say the least. I bought an Ovation Elite L778 in black cherry burst. I have been reading many of your posts on USA made vs. Korean made O's. The "made in the U.S.A" logo has always been associated with prestige among guitar players. I really don't understand why Ovation would use the same name on the foreign made guitars and the U.S made units. I have no prior experience with Ovation and I did not know the difference in the two, both say Ovation with no variances. This leads me to believe that both are quality Ovation guitars. I am really happy that I bought the lefty Elite and not the lefty celebrity. They should really coin a distinguishing name between the two; simply etching made in USA & made in Korea is insufficient. When you pick up a Fender Stratocaster and it says "squire" on the headstock, do you think it is comprised of the same quality materials that are used in the creation of their American counterpart? No, Fender is not hiding that fact. They are offering a low end model at a low price while upholding their reputation of quality with the American model. I'm not saying that Ovation is hiding their "low end" models but they are not differentiating them from thier flagship guitars. I know this for a fact because I nearly purchased a celebrity because I associated the Ovation logo on the headstock with true quality. I can't wait to play my guitar when it arrives in a few weeks. This board is really informative, keep it up.

;)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2003-11-06 2:07 PM (#201676 - in reply to #201675)
Subject: Re: Just bought my 1st Ovation...

Steve, great choice going with the Elite. I know you will love it. Post a picture of it when you get it. Always good to see a new Ovation.
Slipkid
Posted 2003-11-06 2:57 PM (#201677 - in reply to #201675)

Congrats!!! I bought my first Ovation acustic over 30 years ago. I will be in the market for a second one next year but not because there is anything wrong my old one. I just don't want to take it out of the house anymore.
I was at my local GC at lunch today. A Mom came in looking for a guitar for her son. With all the different types to show, he only shows her one Fender. After the sales guy left I gave her the Ovation pitch. I talked about ease of play & durabilty. I pointed out how great a built-in tuner will be to a beginner. She did not buy one today, but I got the message across.
Anyway, I digress....What I wanted to say is that you have purchased a guitar that will be with you for many, many years. Enjoy.
Brad
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-11-06 3:17 PM (#201678 - in reply to #201675)

Congrats also! I know it will become a treasured family member!

Slipkid: I did exactly the same thing on Sunday. I went to the GC to buy a strap for MY 2001 COLLECTOR's REDWOOD (excuse the shout) and I looked into the "acoustic room" and found it jammed with the new Holiday shipment of guitars.

All (except 2 Balladeers) were Celebrities. They had the "expensive" Ovations 10-feet up on the wall, BUT had at least 8 on floor stands, including a Balladeer 6751-12 and several Celebrities next to the door where people would bump into it (and they were).

I saw a guy looking at a Celebrity and the "salesperson" was trying to get him to look at Takamines... I pulled him aside and gave him the "O" pitch (including USA/Korean)... don't know what happened, but I did my best!

tim
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-11-06 7:31 PM (#201679 - in reply to #201675)

I made my weekly stop at our local GC tonight. They had just gotten in FOUR 6751 Balladeer 12-strings, now that I'm not in the market anymore! The U.S.-made Ovations actually outnumbered the Celebrities....amazing. Four 6751 Balladeer 12-strings, a shallow-bowl 1866 Legend 12-string, a shallow-bowl Balladeer, three Celebrity Deluxes and a CC057 shallow-bowl Celebrity, plus the Adamas CVT that they put up in the stratosphere that never comes down.

I played all of the 6751s and none of them measured up to my Adamas ME 12-string. It's not that they were bad, it's that the Adamas is that good.

Best of luck on the Elite!!!!
zchord
Posted 2003-11-06 8:58 PM (#201680 - in reply to #201675)

My first Ovation was a celebrity (CC68), and it said "Celebrity" on the headstock.
With my CVT, a lot of people don't know what an "Adams", as they call it,is, so I say its an Ovation. I haven't taken it play with my worship buddies yet, who will be skeptical for sure. Just play it, I'll say. 'Nuff said there.
breeze2u
Posted 2003-11-13 11:12 PM (#201681 - in reply to #201675)

Steve,
I must agree that Ovation and other quality manufacturers should clearly make better differences in their guitars, however, Fender has done the same thing over the years. I had a Japanese Fender stratocaster years ago that was NOT a Squire. I don't believe Gibson has ever done this, but I know Fender has.
Personally, I have nothing against foreign guitars, especially when they have the Fender, Ovation etc. brand name on the headstock. If I was putting MY name on the headstock, and would surely inspect it for quality no matter where it was made.

Breeze's $.02
Nils
Posted 2003-11-13 11:54 PM (#201682 - in reply to #201675)

Congratulations Steve, I'm sure you'll love that guitar. I have an 1858 Blackcherry Burst & it is gorgeous! I wish I had found this board before I bought my first O. It was a Celebrity, & not a very good example of one either. Now I have the 1858-BCB & just love the thing.

/\/\/
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-11-15 1:53 PM (#201683 - in reply to #201675)

It is a fact that the Ovation taxonomy does not readily reveal the countries of origins for the various models, and neither do the model names. I believe all Celebrities are made overseas, but there are (or have been) imported Balladeers as well.

While the "Made in USA" label should be a mark of distinction, it simply is not always the case. I have played some Celebrity Deluxe guitars that were better sounding than some USA Ovations. (And, fwiw, I have played hundreds of Ovation guitars.)

Although I support my habit by selling and buying over the net, in the long run the best way to get the guitar that sounds best to you is to try them in person and compare until you find what best suits your years. It is probably the fact that I buy my guitars online that I am still looking for 'the Holy Grail' of Ovations.

On a side note RE Fender: the Squier logo does indicate one line of imports. But the Standard and Classic models made in Mexico, e.g., are still sold with no more a description of origin than Ovations display.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-11-15 1:55 PM (#201684 - in reply to #201675)

P.S. I have dealt with Victor Litz music on several occasions and can heartily recommend Tony Litz and his staff as good people. They are an established Ovation dealer and offer some really good deals on new guitars from time to time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)