The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
1613 Classic Rattle

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

cartobum
Posted 2003-11-06 1:37 PM (#201672)
Subject: 1613 Classic Rattle

I just bought my 1st Ovation. A 1984, 1613 (Classic). It plays wonderfully, and sounds crystal clear. The action is a bit too low, so the low "E" buzzes around the 3rd fret. After reading this site a few times, I decided to take it to a pro and have the action raised a little. However, there is also a rattle that shows up periodically that I can't figure out. It sounds like it's coming from inside around the bridge area. The guitar has mono and stereo jacks, but everything seems to be snug. Any ideas? Bracing?
Thanks.
John
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-11-06 2:16 PM (#201673 - in reply to #201672)
Subject: Re: 1613 Classic Rattle

Try plugging a jack into each socket (both at the same time) if the rattle goes away it's the springs on the sockets vibrating in sympathy to certain notes. I've seen this problem on quite a few Ovations & it's easy to fix once you identify it. Also make sure the cables from the pickup and output jacks are secure, they can cause similar problems if they are in contact with the top. It could be any other part of the electronics so persevere if you don't find it imediately
cartobum
Posted 2003-11-10 10:26 PM (#201674 - in reply to #201672)
Subject: Re: 1613 Classic Rattle

Paul, thanks for the reply. I took the guitar to an Ovation dealer for help in raising the action and determining the reason for the rattle. I was shocked when he wanted to remove the top to fix some loose braces. Having just bought the guitar online, I knew it wasn't worth the cost of that expensive endevour. I sat out in the parking lot wondering what to do and decided to call my local luthier. (I currenly have another guitar in for refretting). Getting to the point, I took the guitar in last Saturday for an inspection and he can re-glue the three loose braces for around $75.00. Not bad. He also adjusted the truss rod and eliminated the buzzing strings, without needing to use shims to raise the action. It seems the ding on top of the guitar was more than just a slight one as indicated on ebay. It was whacked good, but I was not told of the damage before I bought the guitar. Sounds like someone just wanted to get rid of it. Bottom line, go to a pro. It's not that expensive and they do great work. This 1613 was well worth repairing and I will play it for many many years.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)