The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ultra Series Ovations

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

deniz15
Posted 2003-11-10 11:14 PM (#201439)
Subject: Ultra Series Ovations

Hello, I am new to Ovation Guitars and am very pleased to have recently purchased one. Ovation Ultra 1311. I have done all the research possible via internet regarding the history of the model. Apparently, the guitar was made one year 83, "Made in the USA".. Yet I read here and there that this maybe suspect. I love the Guitar, but can anyone help me understand the Deal with the Ultra 1311, no electrical components. Thanks!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-11-11 1:20 AM (#201440 - in reply to #201439)
Subject: Re: Ultra Series Ovations

AFAIK the Ultras started off as an american series in the early eighties, but mid-eighties their production was moved to Asia.

Martin
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-11-11 4:28 AM (#201441 - in reply to #201439)

The USA Ultras had laminated tops & an aluminium/foam neck. Use the search function above and do a search on Matrix, Medallion or Ultra and you'll find lots of information
stonebobbo
Posted 2003-11-11 1:03 PM (#201442 - in reply to #201439)

I have a USA Ultra 1311 from 1983, although I'm somwhat confused since mine does have a pickup with volume control only, and what seems to be a solid mahogany top. There was another label glued atop the one that's there now when I bought it, but the cover label has long since peeled off and disappeared and I can't remember what it said. I didn't know many particulars about Ovation guitars at the time, except that I loved the way Dave Mason made them sound and I loved the way this one sounded and played in my inept hands ... so what the label said was never a concern to me until I found this board.

My 1311 also had the aluminum/foam neck (I think they called it Urelite), but it eventually bowed to the point that it became unplayable. I found a two piece mahogany neck (with truss rod) from a 1312 on eBay, and was able to make the neck switch myself ... and unbelievably, it came out really well. There was no real drama, and the neck is straight, action is good, and it looks like it was made to be on this guitar.

By the way, when I did the factory tour last year, there was an exact duplicate of my guitar (sans electronics) in the repair shop for some work. Apparently that owner was as attached to their guitar as I am to mine.

You've got a great first Ovation, Deniz. Enjoy and play it like crazy. And before you know it, this board will have you in the market for more Ovations!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)