The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Where have all the artists gone?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-11-12 10:28 PM (#201344 - in reply to #201319)
Subject: Re: Where have all the artists gone?

Going back to Heart....Ann and Nancy seem to play several types....on their DVD "The Road Home" from 1995, Nancy plays a Takamine 6-string and a blue-burst Ovation 12-string, looks like a shallow-bowl Custom Legend. Ann has a white Ovation or Adamas 6-string....looks very much like the ME Adamas 6-string, but the video pre-dates it, I believe, so it shouldn't be one of those.

On the (recorded in) 2002 "Alive In Seattle" DVD, Nancy plays the Martin 6-string mentioned, although Ann plays the blue-burst Ovation 12-string that was seen in "The Road Home" for one song.

I also have a video of Nancy Wilson teaching techniques for playing Heart's songs, and she uses the Takamine 6-string she used in "The Road Home" video for it(it has a conspicuous patch below the sound hole in both)--it dates to 1996.

It's unfortunate that they appear to have wandered away from Ovation a bit. If you look in the gatefold of their first LP from 1975, there is a picture of Nancy playing an Ovation on stage, looks like a Balladeer or a Custom Balladeer.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2003-11-12 11:19 PM (#201345 - in reply to #201319)

I found this from Nancy Wilson out of the September 1999 issue of Acoustic Guitar magazine. Nancy Wilson depended on the six and 12-string Ovations to get her through the early years of melding acoustic playing with hard rock, and she still uses a 1992 Ovation called Burley. " I had to have an Ovation for big, live shows," she says." There was no feedback; I was able to turn up the volume all the way and let the soundman tweak it."
Takamine guitars became another staple while Wilson was on the road with Heart. "I saw Pete Townshend using one and loved the sound of it." Wilson recalls. " I was looking for something other than an Ovation, because I craved that more acoustic sound. The Ovation is great for a more percussive sound, but it has its own distinctive place. The Takamine is really an all-around guitar. "I just run it flat and all the way up." She currently uses an NP-18C and an NP-15C, both cutaways built of Indian rosewood with Sitka spruce tops.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2003-11-12 11:25 PM (#201346 - in reply to #201319)

Two questions Nancy:
(1) What do you mean you craved that more acoustic sound?
(2) Why is the Takamine an all around stage guitat and the Ovation is not?
xnoel
Posted 2003-11-12 11:34 PM (#201347 - in reply to #201319)

Might as well jump in here also. Some of this may apply to topic some may not.
In a recent topic (Blues 101?) the conversation got to who controls what most artists record and who is in charge, not the artists, but the record co. bigshots. It seems the moguls are more interested in image and whether the image will sell than the music. Could they not be having an influence on what instrument is used? In other words, if it does not portray the image get something else. It certaintly works for their clothes, staging, sets, and body movements.

Now I am really going to get into trouble.
As I set here, I am looking at my beautiful 79 darkburst legend. At least it is beautiful to me. At age 60 many things are beautiful that would not have gotten a second glance 40 years ago. So I think, if I was 20 or 30 would it be so appealing to me? Probably not. We live in a faddish society, change for change sake is considered desirable. I don't agree with this philosphy, but it is a fact of life.

I think Ovation needs to make some "appearance" changes, for instance on the center hole guitars that have the wide plastic rosette, eliminate that and go to a narrow inlaid rosette as some of the Balladeers and others have.

Change the headstock. Looking at my Legend, the fanned out end reminds me of a pompador hair comb, nothing wrong if you comb your hair that way, but not on my guitar. Leave it mostly as it is, just take the "ears" off on each side.

I think Ovations are great guitars, my next one will be a 12 string, Ovation of some kind.

Well, time for this old man to go to bed.

Noel
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-11-12 11:47 PM (#201348 - in reply to #201319)

Noel you bring up a good point.

Image sells. I think the MOB, Elite-T and the new Adamas guitars with the Fiber and Woven tops meet the chic, high-tech, beachy etc.. as appropriate categories.

As was mentioned at the last Factory tour, SOMEONE and in fact MANY someones are buying these guitars.

Maybe like yourself some of the early artists are growing and moving toward the more traditional. That is a possibility. I guess that means that NEW artists need to be introduced to the New Ovations. I see several artists that I would think fit Ovation better than what they are playing, and there are a few Ovation artists that I don't really see as Acoustic players, but it's still nice to have them onboard.

I'd be curious to the response to CWK2's post. I know the whole industry has changed with the visual being as important as the sound in most cases. What kind of artists is Ovation looking for to sell their instruments?
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-11-13 12:59 AM (#201349 - in reply to #201319)

I'm also curious about the reply to CWK2's post. I only think it would not be wise to mention potential endorsees from this board. I'm 33, and from what I read here, i'm one of the young ones on this board.

No offense, but IMO the future of Ovation is with endorsees the youth gets to see, not with Glen Campbell (can't even get that right), Nancy Wilson and the like. Nowadays even Lukather complains about the lack of interest in Toto. I don't know how Melissa is doing on your side of the pond, but in Europe her last hit dates back 10 years or so.

If I hear younger guitarplayers about bands they like and they want to copy, I hear lots of names I don't even know.

BTW having O-electronics installed in a Taylor signature doesn't sound strange to me. I know of soccerplayers who endorse Adidas, but play different brands and have the Adidas logos stitched on their shoes.

just my 2 cents

Martin
cliff
Posted 2003-11-13 8:59 AM (#201350 - in reply to #201319)

". . .Why is Jon using the ugly, black T-box consistently for 2+ years?. . ."

Probably because that OTHER New Jersey fuckwit Springsteen plays one.
Doesn't anyone else find it amazing that six months after Springsteen started to talk with a phony, "Nebraskan" affect to his voice, BonPhony started wearin' cowboy hats and talking like he just came off a cattle drive? Sorry, but native NewJerseyans don't talk like that. I'll shut up now.

Just got the latest issue of GuitarWorldAcoustic in the mail and it's got an article about the new BJ "acoustic' album. Sambucca's pretty much touting all of the new and "vintage" Martins that he's acquired and Jon's Gibson's and the occasional Guild 12-string used on the album. Fuck 'em both!

The NEXT PAGE however feature a FULL PAGE PHOTO of one of the guys from Godsmack playing a CVT Adamas!!
Evidently they've just released a 7 song, acoustic-based EP. When asked what guitars were used for the record, the response was that the lion's share (if not all) were Ovations! Both guys in the interview touted the benefits of the Balladeer, Adamas, and various O 12-strings that were used for the recording.

Win some, lose some.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-11-13 9:14 AM (#201351 - in reply to #201319)

In the 1950's and 60's, every airline pilot who had flown in the military sounded like he came from West Virginia. That's 'cause they flew with Chuck Yeager in the military. It's kinda stupid, but true.

Wouldn't it be something if Springsteen started playing Ovations? Imagine the influence he would have (at least with everybody over the age of 35). Probably never happen, but.....?
Ralph
Posted 2003-11-13 9:36 AM (#201352 - in reply to #201319)

Could be good match. Imagine Springsteen plays the Legend w/ USA flag top & sings "Born in the USA."
popcritic
Posted 2003-11-13 10:20 AM (#201353 - in reply to #201319)

cwk2, Kaki has had nothing but nice things to say about David Vincent.

pc
an4340
Posted 2003-11-13 10:36 AM (#201354 - in reply to #201319)

Actually, I remember that Springsteen, early on when I was a kid, used an ovation a/e, though I don't remember what model, and he used a tele. He must have influenced me because, to this day, to my ear, the tele and a ovation a/e are the best. Interesting if you get to the kids at the right time, you can influence them for life. Ovation has to get a guitar into the mitts of the current Bruce. Who is it? Who speaks to the 15 to 20 year olds now?
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-11-13 2:07 PM (#201355 - in reply to #201319)

David Vincent was very helpful in organising some guitars for me for a couple of gigs I was supposed to play in Nashville in September. Unfortuately due to a hand injury I wasn't fit to play (I fell off a 5-foot high festival stage onto concrete the day before I flew out - very embarrasing & painful) but the instruments were there for me.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-11-13 4:21 PM (#201356 - in reply to #201319)

Godsmack playing current model USA made Ovations on a new album is a good thing indeed. Kudos to whomever put that one together. It's nice that they mentioned the models being used because that's what the fans will ask for at the store instead of just "Ovation" and be shown the import line. The import line is fine, but the requests for the USA line models came into the stores, they'd be more inclined to display them better. This is a good good thing.
cliff
Posted 2003-11-13 5:30 PM (#201357 - in reply to #201319)

Yeah Miles, it really surprised the hell outta me! I know that Ovation recently had a Godsmack reference in their press release section, but I had literally just "flipped" a page or two from the BonJovi thing and BAM! there it was! Full page! Not even as much as a caption. Woulda made a great ad! Very cool indeed.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-11-13 8:46 PM (#201358 - in reply to #201319)

That's great about Godsmack playing Ovations....I'll have to go check it out after I'm done, I have the issue and haven't read it yet.

Going back to Nancy Wilson's comments on page 2...I think I understand what she means. She is speaking of desiring to go back to a more "traditional" acoustic guitar sound, which Takamine has. Ovations have a very definite unique sound, especially if you play aggressively(which Nancy does). When one does quick, sharp strums, Ovations sound like no other guitar on the planet--great if you like it, not so great if you don't. I interpret her remarks not as a slam on Ovation, but a desire to change her sound. An artist always likes to have as many "colors" in his palette as possible.
Bailey
Posted 2003-11-14 1:37 AM (#201359 - in reply to #201319)

Good discussion!

Last night I spent 10 minutes or so crafting a very erudite post on this thread where I suggested that the new Ovations might be the answer if they attract some new players who, by chance, become famous. Just before I hit the "Add Reply" button, everything went black, and I had to set for an hour or better in the dark from a power failure. My theory was that good players are attracted to good professional quality guitars and that is how endorsements begin. The good reviews of the Slot Head Adamas could be the start of something new. Kaki King, of course, is a great thing for the Adamas, but Josh Homme is playing a guitar that is no longer produced. My suggestion is the one that crops up frequently and has some validity. Differentiate the Celebrities from the "real" Ovations, and promote the quality of the "real" Ovations as represented by the Elite T, the Adamas, and the various American made models that even us avid board members can't name anymore. Is there still a Balladeer, a Legend like Paul Simon played, a Country Artist, a "real" Elite?? If we can't tell them apart, how does the upcoming star player know what the hell he should buy when the clerk shoves a shiny Celebrity in his face and he notices that it doesn't have that elusive quality and sound that he heard that Ovations have, so he goes on to the Martin, Taylor etc.; and VOILA (Walla to some), there it is; a nice acoustic sound. He never got to hear a "REAL" Ovation. Sorta like if you had to choose your wife from a lineup of Asian whores or an angelic group of Church choir singers who looked and sounded like the original "M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E" girl next door. (Just curious to see how many here name Brittany and how many name the real sexy Mouseketeer who has grown up and had her problems but I love her just the same.)

Bailey
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-11-14 8:33 AM (#201360 - in reply to #201319)

Hi Bailey,

I won't touch your last analogy....guitars you usually "try before you buy".....at least I do!!!

There is variation within both the Korean and American Ovations....I seem to have a good Korean one, and I have played a few bad American ones, but generally the U.S.-made ones ARE better, no question.

I read the Godsmack article last night, and it struck me....Ovations are really the ticket for metal and shred artists with their "percussive" strum. Hope the company can make use of that!

If the bulk of the Ovations in music shops are Korean-made Celebrities, that is what is going to be sold. Actually, the Celebrities are no worse, and maybe even a little better than the others in that price range. But if you want to play with the big boys, you need to differentiate them more from the expensive models.

Go into any music shop, and look at the more-expensive Celebrities. Now look at the Elites(if they have any). Now look at the Adamas(again, if they have any). Confused????

The Adamas sound hole motif has got to GO on the Korean-made guitars. Or find a new appearance for the Adamas that is unique to them. NOTHING should look like the Adamas, not even more expensive U.S.-made Ovations. The Adamas brand identity has been totally diluted by using the sound hole motif on the cheaper Ovation guitars.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-11-14 10:31 AM (#201361 - in reply to #201319)

Ahhhh Annette Funicello, the "stacked" Mousekateer, or did you mean Christine Aguillara?

"My theory was that good players are attracted to good professional quality guitars and that is how endorsements begin." As has been eluded to above, this is probably only the case with accomplished artists with a certain level of integrity. But with most artists, what they play is a matter of the what the "used car salesman" sells them.

As far as Josh Homme, although he plays a guitar that is no longer made, I would assume someone is trying to sell him a new Ovation or at least a Hamer "Josh Homme" signature model, or I would hope anyway. I think he plays acoustic sometimes too, I wonder what he plays?

"guitars you usually "try before you buy"
Good in theory, but most guitars sold today are not sold this way, even in music stores. First in most stores you can't reach most of the guitars. Then if you get a salesman, are you really trying the guitar? I have watched some kids "try" guitars without touching them. You've all seen it. The salesman picks up guitar "a" strums a few chords and says "see how this sounds" then picks up guitar "b" and strums a few chords and sais "see how this one sounds?" then picks up the guitar that he makes the most commission on and plays "Classical Gas" and sais "Now see how THIS one sounds, this is the guitar for you, and I can make you a great deal. Here you try it out."

Lets face it. There are a lot of great sounding guitars out there. It's a matter of taste. For most new players, their taste hasn't developed. Someone hopefull helps them make a decision, but for the most part, it's just what they see their favorite artist play. For the accomplished players, the guitar(s) that they get for free, the guitars that they get a free trip to California for an autograph signing, the guitar they take thier picture with that will be in a press release to everyone in the industry also mentioning their new album.... are all guitars that add a lot of spice to their normally "wooden box" like taste. (damn that was witty)..
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-11-14 10:34 AM (#201362 - in reply to #201319)

By the way, Nice to see an Ovation mando on Ellen yesterday played by the lady in Rod Stewarts band.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2003-11-14 1:47 PM (#201363 - in reply to #201319)

Miles, I saw that on the Ellen show. That Ovation mandolin sure sounded great.
Beal
Posted 2003-11-14 3:53 PM (#201364 - in reply to #201319)

Popcritic, I have never heard any endorsee say anything bad about David Vincent.
However it's been a long time since I've heard his name and there doesn't seem to be much Ovation action happening. Several potential causes for this, Those who are being contacted or are using Ovations are not within my listening or visual realm, which as we know gets smaller as you get older, or so I'm told. Second, in my conversations with people in Bloomfield, which are few, the favored topic is golf, sometimes race cars. Third, maybe I just have a bad case of eyerectus.
The fact remains, The OFC members would like to know what's happening on the artist endorsee front because it doesn't look like much. You do see Taylors everywhere. If not them it's Taks or some other woodybacked thing.
This should be seen as an opportunity for the company to talk about what's going on but there I go talking like I know about this stuff again. Sorry.
alpep
Posted 2003-11-15 12:13 AM (#201365 - in reply to #201319)

Miles
Josh Homme plays Ovation Gps IMHO because they are a unique old guitar that are cool playable with a good sound and it makes him unique. I am sure they tried to put a Hamer in his hands but I think Josh is into the vibe of the unobtainable cool old guitar.

I have seen his ovations in the Hamer shop getting worked on so Kaman Corp is aware of the influence he has on that model. The fact is you cannot make someone play an instrument they do not want to. Personally I would love to see him play a HAMER. If he had 1/10th the influence on Hamer that he has on the old GP's then it would be fantastic.

Ovation is no longer in the solid body biz so it is just counterproductive to keep bringing it up.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-11-15 1:27 AM (#201366 - in reply to #201319)

When I mentioned "selling him a new Ovation"... I really meant a NEW Ovation as in an Adamas, or Elite-T or something. I tend to agree that he might be a hard sell on a Hamer, and I assume they asked him. I had actually heard he is more into a certain unique sound rather than the oddity rareness of the guitar. Remember his favorites are customized quite a bit. I'd like to think he'd be open to endorsing a guitar that he designed.

I was looking at the Hamer artist list and it seems a bit eclectic too, but as I haven't heard of about 90% of the artists, it could just be my age showing.

Saw Jon Sambora and Richie Locklear on the tele earlier this evening. Damn that double-neck he's playing gets on my nerves. I love the soundhole, but the rest of it looks so awkward. It sounds good, but seems like it is enormous.
alpep
Posted 2003-11-15 10:22 AM (#201367 - in reply to #201319)

Miles
I am not sure if Josh uses any acoustic guitars
Ralph
Posted 2003-11-15 7:48 PM (#201368 - in reply to #201319)

Miles, you said Richie's Taylor sounded good!?Not soulless piece of crap? :D IMO, it looks much better the double neck he played before.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)