The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Where have all the artists gone?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-11-12 12:16 AM (#201319)
Subject: Where have all the artists gone?

Ok, I'm not a big Bon Jovi fan, but "Wanted.." is a cool tune with a great acoustic lick. Eventhough they play it off, Richie and Jon were the first MTV Unplugged and it was so cool to see an Ovation on TV.

So I'm replacing the tile in my kitchen and I hear "Wanted.." on the tv and they are plugging a new album of their tunes re-arranged for acoustics. I'm not as "in the loop" as I should be sometimes and ran to the tv hoping/wishing to see Richie and Jon with the double-neck and 6-string at it again, and that's what I see alright. Unfortunatly I guess I should have been specific in the "wish" I had on the way to the tele as the double-neck I had never seen the likes of before. Some big box with a gothic looking soundhole thing, and I did not recognize what Jon was playing. But I was surprised, especially for that song, Richie wasn't playing an Ovation.

Does anyone know what they are playing these days? From their website it looks like Jon has a collection of old Gibsons, but the box looking double-neck was kindof interesting. A Takamine maybe? It's disappointing to see an artist that was once associated with an Ovation in their hand, playing something else.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ralph
Posted 2003-11-12 1:14 AM (#201320 - in reply to #201319)
Subject: Re: Where have all the artists gone?

Richie & Jon play Taylor double-neck & Takamine 6-string, respectively.

Jon has been playing the same Takamine for the past 2+ years, and yet he's not on Takamine artist list. Why did he switch from Ovation to Takamine? Both Ovation & Takamine are part of Kaman Music. Someone from Kaman should talk to Jon before he moves over to the Taylor camp.

It's ironic that Jon is playing Takamine's Steve Wariner Signature Model & he does not have his own signature model. Maybe it's time for Ovation to add another signature model for Jon.
richardd
Posted 2003-11-12 2:40 AM (#201321 - in reply to #201319)

I remember reading an interview with Bon Jovi where he was asked about his switch from Ovations and he made some stupid comment like he thought it was about time he stopped playing tupperware.

Now that's loyalty for ya.
alpep
Posted 2003-11-12 7:23 AM (#201322 - in reply to #201319)

Miles
The sambucca Ovation doubleneck was sold on ebay or at least up for sale on e bay about 8 months ago. At that time I posed the question, Who does it actually belong to? Sambucca or KMC. No one was able to come up with the answer.
Strummin12
Posted 2003-11-12 10:08 AM (#201323 - in reply to #201319)

...Jon Bon Anchovi and Richie Sambucca.

They're new album "this left feels right" is a greatest hits with a twist-every song is reworked with new grooves and sound completely different.

I'm not completely thrilled with it, though it is interesting. My girl loves it. Most of the songs are quite mellow...they turned almost every rock tune into a ballad. Perhaps they've "matured" a bit. I would have liked it better if Jon and Richie just banged the tunes out acoustically, which is what they more or less intended to do-but then took wicked turns with each song. They're creditted with "starting" the recent unplugged movement, but don't have an acoustic cd themselves (other than bootlegs).

The highlight, to me, is a bluesy (almost acoustic stray cats style?) version of You Give Love a Bad Name. They "zeppelined" out wanted dead or alive. I like the original version better.

My humble 2 cents...as if anyone cares about Jovi.

Johnny
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-11-12 11:49 AM (#201324 - in reply to #201319)

I do.

BTW as I recall Tesla started the unplugged circus with their 'Five Man Acoustic Jam' CD. Still one of my favorites.

Martin :)
Strummin12
Posted 2003-11-12 12:10 PM (#201325 - in reply to #201319)

Yes, Tesla was among the first to record an "unplugged" album (great album), but supposidly, as I've read/heard several times, Jon and Richie played a few songs at one of those huge, publicized anti-drug "benefit festivals" in the late 80's (mostly hairbands), with just the two of them on acoustic guitars. At the time, this was very condradictory to the big, overproduced live sounds of the time. They went out on a limb, skipped the big guitar sounds, and let the songs stand on their own, stripped down with just acoustics. This was the performance that supposedly inspired the "unplugged" movement of the 90's. The tesla album followed.

Who knows.
cliff
Posted 2003-11-12 12:42 PM (#201326 - in reply to #201319)

And here I always thought that Segovia had started the "unplugged" craze. Go figya'! :D
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-11-12 12:46 PM (#201327 - in reply to #201319)

From another thread re: Yngwie "he walked up to an Ovation held in playing position on a stand. I'm not sure what model...it was a shallow bodied slot head with a dual leaf pattern and nylon strings. Sounded gorgeous. " That's pretty cool.

Several years ago, mid 90's I saw Damn Yankees and Tommy Shaw did the same "on-stand" walkup with an Ovation. He managed to really play a very cool intro to whatever song it was even with "The Nuge" (or as you would say in yiddish "the Noodge") sneaking up from behind and tickling, blindfolding, and trying to de-tune him.

It's fun to see Ovations pulled out by artists. Unfortunately the days of artist loyalty to an intrument for "brand sake" is all but gone. It must be hard to compete with the likes of Taylor who I would guess spend more on wine and dine with the celebs and customers than is spent to build the guitars. Also by dropping celeb endorsed models on anyone with a fan base musical or otherwise, especially otherwise, they are capturing a whole different demographic that is providing even more free advertising to them, and it keeps snowballing. I wonder how many Steven King fans own Taylors, because they are Steven King fans and it's their first guitar.

On the otherhand, for the most part, there is something to be said for the Ovation endorsers, most of which are pretty loyal. When they play an Ovation, with all the competition out there for their hand, they must be making a concious decision to do so.

I'm glad in one sence that Ovation doesn't price the guitars to what they are really worth, or just to pay for advertising. I think this is what the other manufactures do. Adding $1K+ to the cost of each guitar to cover the all the freebees, road trips and bar tabs. Unfortunately in this day, those perks are what the artists are looking for.

I guess it just erks me when I see Artists I respect playing other brands when they would sound better with an Ovation. No I don't think ALL artists should play Ovation, although that would be nice, but there are many who's tone and style scream for an Ovation. As example, Jewel and Dave Mathews, wouldn't matter. They pretty much stay in the money frets. John Maher, Cherl Crow, Alanis M. and several others can actually play. Shania Twain, although a strummer, seems to "fit" Ovation better being as non-traditional as she is. Then there are all the Country artists.

Back to the thread topic, I guess I'm also bummed when I see someone that is or was an Ovation artist playing something else. I really don't believe it's because they moved to a "better" guitar, but probably just got cornered by a "used car salesman" at the right time. That doesn't speak well for the artist. I know a few artists that have turned down endorsements, opting for what they like to play instead. That's integrity and it's rare these days.
Jeff
Posted 2003-11-12 3:11 PM (#201328 - in reply to #201319)

Did anyone happen to catch Glen Campbell on Larry King last night? He was one of a panel of artists paying tribute to Johnny Cash. He had an acoustic guitar with him, but lo and behold it too, was not an Ovation. I know he's used several different electrics since the early eighties (most notabaly Strats), but acoustically has (until now?) stayed pretty loyal to Ovation.
samova
Posted 2003-11-12 3:36 PM (#201329 - in reply to #201319)

Reading this topic reminded me of a conversation i had with a "higher up" at the Ovation a couple years ago..We were discussing artist relations and endorsees..If i remeber correctly i think that Ovation and other manufacturers dont really pay endorsees for playing the guitars.I believe that the artists get a few guitars for themselves and for the band but i dont believe they actually get paid for playing that particular brand guitar..Im sure this may be different if its a signature model but i dont think even then there is money exchanged,just the cool factor of having your own signature model..I would love to hear from Bill or anyone else who would know the answer to this..If im not mistaken Josh White simply got free guitars but no money..
This may have something to do with why they float from guitar brand to guitar brand.
Artist dont lock themselves in or sign contracts when playing a certain brand guitar.. They play their guitar for a couple of years and then move on to the next, new,cool guitar manufacturer for free guitars.Anyone know how the artist endorsee thing works?
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-11-12 4:27 PM (#201330 - in reply to #201319)

Sam, that's what I was actually getting at. It's not money anymore (if it ever was) and in many cases I know it's not even a free guitar, but depending on the artist and such there are other perks. I really don't know what Ovation does, I would guess/hope a combination of whatever it takes, but there are others that do things as simple as provide a free trip to NAMM in California or MusikMessa in Germany. I know Ernie Ball sends out press releases for new artists all the time, I think I get at least two a month of a new artist that is using an Ernia Ball guitar. Even if the artist had to buy the guitar (at cost I would assume) those press releases are invaluable to a new artist and it gives EB an excuse to send out a press release getting their name out there too.

I would also guess it's difficult for a Company like Ovation who has had some established artists for a long time. Unless they are talking to Al Dimeola every single week, on a casual basis, there's not much of a sales pitch they can throw his way, he already has his own guitar model. For Artists like him, Melissa and Glen, there must be some fine line of "staying in touch" and just "bugging them."

There are places like TV and Radio shows that have insturments "on hand" for the walk-on guests that show up. I would assume the marketing folks at Taylor and Gibson are pretty aggressive at making sure if any artist gets coaxed into an impromtu session, there is a guitar "just hanging around" the studio for them to use, as those are the ones I see most of. That's an expensive risk, but as we have seen, it only takes one big star to show up on a show like Conan, Oprah, Kilborn, Letterman or Carson Daly without their own axe for whatever reason, and "the spare" is paid for.
stonebobbo
Posted 2003-11-12 5:50 PM (#201331 - in reply to #201319)

There's an interesting chapter in Walter Carter's book on Ovation that talks about Ovation's approach to artists "back in the day". One story in particular related how the artist relations director (David Bergstrom?) just showed up at a Paul Simon rehearsal with a bunch of guitars and got one into Simon's hands to try out. That led to the black Legend and tons of folks on this board who bought black Legends following the Central Park concert.

Is Ovation doing this anymore? Wouldn't it be cool if part of the field reps' job was to show up at all the likely venues with an armful of Ovation cases and get artists to try them out during sound checks?
Englishplayer
Posted 2003-11-12 6:24 PM (#201332 - in reply to #201319)

With Glen Campbell's background with the company, it's amazing there isn't a Glen Campbell signature model permanently on the list of new guitars. More signature models may end up with more artist loyalty (if that's what you want to call buying artists to endorse a product). Associating the models with artists would lead to more sales and prestige.
Patsbro
Posted 2003-11-12 7:39 PM (#201333 - in reply to #201319)

I think asking an artist for a lifetime commitment to an instrument might be asking for a little too much. Their careers most likely will be a series of valleys and one peak, and the key might be to get them to use your product when they hit their peak. Using Bon Jovi as an example, their peak was the release of "Slippery When Wet". When this came out they were everywhere, especially on heavy rotation on MTV. When "Wanted Dead or Alive" was pushed they were using Ovations on the video. When they performed the song live on the Video Music Awards they were again using their Ovations. That performance was considered the start of the so called "unplugged" performances. They have not been as popular since that time as far as mass exposure goes. Ovation benefitted from that. Years from now when the Bon Jovi "What ever happened to" retrospectives appear they will be shown at their peak, playing Ovations.

Patsbro
Beal
Posted 2003-11-12 8:33 PM (#201334 - in reply to #201319)

Josh and Glem for $$$ it was a % based on the sales of the model that had their NAME on it. The rest of these guys got guitars if we could use their pictures in advertising as we saw fit, there was probably an amount and then after that they had to buy them. When things were going well they probably forgot about these amounts.

Does Ovation even have artist relations anymore? I don't know. Last I heard There was a guy in Nashville who waited for people to come by the office. There might be a guy on the left (as in burning) coast but who know what his many jobs entail, maybe part of his time is for endorsees. (note it should be to go out and find endoresse, not deliver guitars previously ordered. He can be a delivery boy but should be much more)

If David Vincent is still the guy in Nashville here's your chance...Dave, describe to us a typical day, or week. Your choice. Go get permission from Bloomfield to answer this and do it. What's the worst that can happen? you'll have a third or so of the OFC helping you bring in new tallent, or al least open your eyes to who they are. My experience with this was you can never have enough of it and it's so much better when it comes from your friends. And if Bloomfield doesn't tie your hands you may be able to get some new talent on board playing Ovation and that will make all 1800 or so OFC people here happy as well as the MPs in Bloomfield. It's a win/win.

OK I'll shut up now, jeeze, you'd think I ran a music company and artist relations department or something shootin my mouth off as if I knew what I was talking about!!!
SteveL778
Posted 2003-11-12 8:39 PM (#201335 - in reply to #201319)

I became interested in Ovation in 1996 when Kiss released thier unplugged DVD. Bruce Kulick played a black ovation (elite?) and man did it sound good. Even if you hate Kiss you can't deny the fact that Bruce sounded great playing that Ovation. I really wanted an Elite in black but Ovation didn't make a lefty in that color this year. ;)
75balladeer
Posted 2003-11-12 9:20 PM (#201336 - in reply to #201319)

I had heard that Ritchie contacted Ovation for electronics retrofit in the Taylor. This was over a year ago, and there was great discussion over whether or not to do it. Can't tell you what the outcome was...
75balladeer
Posted 2003-11-12 9:26 PM (#201337 - in reply to #201319)

And...in response to Mr. Ovation's question...
"gone to Taylors (almost) every-one, when will they ever learn..."
Ralph
Posted 2003-11-12 9:41 PM (#201338 - in reply to #201319)

Richie is currenty Taylor artist, with his own signature guitar. It's highly unlikely that he would put Ovation electronics into his Taylor. The Koa double-neck he uses is quite unique.

Why is Jon using the ugly, black T-box consistently for 2+ years? And it's someone else signature model! I'm curious why he does not use Taylor. You never know, maybe tomorrow. I think he's up for grab ... Anyone from Takamine talked to him?

Just make an Ovation Jon Bon Jovi signature model. Easy.
75balladeer
Posted 2003-11-12 9:54 PM (#201339 - in reply to #201319)

Why do you find that highly unlikely? Kaman has been routinely contacted for electronics retrofits for all sorts of guitars. Ovation and Tak both.
Englishplayer
Posted 2003-11-12 9:56 PM (#201340 - in reply to #201319)

How about Nancy Wilson of Heart. In my DVd she's using a Martin most of the time, but whips out a 12 string ovation for a song. She used to make her living on Ovations. Get her on board. In some cases it might not just be buying an artist, but also showing them respect at the same time.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2003-11-12 9:57 PM (#201341 - in reply to #201319)

If I worked for Ovation I would be some pissed if an artist would contact me to use any of my products in some other manufactuers guitar. If this is true, I hope Ovation told him to take a hike!
75balladeer
Posted 2003-11-12 10:00 PM (#201342 - in reply to #201319)

Absolutely! Englishplayer's got it right. Acknowledgement and appreciation of the artists that play the guitars!!!
75balladeer
Posted 2003-11-12 10:03 PM (#201343 - in reply to #201319)

Delicate balance, 1687. Wouldn't want to burn any bridges....
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)