The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Value of 1639?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

WB
Posted 2003-11-12 7:35 AM (#201314)
Subject: Value of 1639?

I am trying to find out the value of a model# 1639 w/case.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-11-12 11:55 AM (#201315 - in reply to #201314)
Subject: Re: Value of 1639?

From the FAQ:
Q:What is my Ovation guitar worth?
A: This is probably the most frequently asked question, and the hardest to answer. There are so many factors involved in pricing a musical instrument. Is is collectable? Is it rare? Is it popular? It is highly recommended that you check some online resources such as www.ebay.com. To find out how much an instrument, similar to yours, has recently sold for. Check "completed items." Other online resources include www.gbase.com and www.guitarlist.com. Your best bet, unless you need it appraised for insurance or other reasons, is to try and ask yourself "How much is this instrument worth to me?" More value related resources include the "The Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars" and "The Blue Book of Electric Guitars" both edited by S. P. Fjestad and available in paperback by Gurney Brown. There is also the software version "The S-Book of Guitars" by S. P. Fjestad. Click here to connect to Blue Book Publishing, Inc.

Martin
dwansmith
Posted 2003-11-19 4:19 PM (#201316 - in reply to #201314)
Subject: Re: Value of 1639?

Value (what you can sell it for) depends on many things including condition, features, tone, and demand. I personally would be hesitant to buy a guitar without playing it first: There is often quite a bit of variation of tone and playability between guitars of the same model and vintage.

The 1639 (I own one) is sometimes called a "Matrix" model. Mine has a neck made out of something other than wood that has held up very well. As far as features go, it is pretty basic - more like a Balladeer with a deeper bowl. It doesn't have anything fancy on the neck (no pearl inlay or borders), and the electronics are very basic.

Per this website's original list price, it was under $400 back in 1982/3. If the guitar has any cracks in the top, neck problems, or dings in the head, it loses quite a bit of value.

I paid $400 for mine a few years ago, and I have not seen any on ebay to compare it to. I suspect it was not a high volume model, but I don't know for sure. If I were to put mine up for sale on ebay (I wouldn't), I would probably start at $300 minimum bid. Make sure to be very clear on any marks or flaws.

Don
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)