The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovations shred in New York!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Strummin12
Posted 2003-11-12 10:50 AM (#201312)
Subject: Ovations shred in New York!

My past is coming back to haunt me!

Last night my 2 high school buds and I trekked into the city to the Beacon Theater for this years G3 Concert, which featured Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and (gulp!) Yngwie Malmsteen. Within moments of the shows start, I was transported back 20 years to the big hair, guitar "wanking" days of my youth! I haven't heard this stuff in SO many years.

Anyway, Yngwie started the show, with his mind boggling neo-classical technique, which was the expected "my ego is over the top"-he barely paused for a breath between the 50 minutes of 32nd note sweep arppegious at blinding speed. Between the over the shoulder guitar tosses, he walked up to an Ovation held in playing position on a stand. I'm not sure what model...it was a shallow bodied slot head with a dual leaf pattern and nylon strings. Sounded gorgeous. If the man could get out of the way of his ego, and occassionally S-L-O-W-D-O-W-N, his amazing technique and knowledge would probably be more appreciated, and tasteful.

Steve seemed to be the fav of the night of those I was with, though I'm not into his tone...far too saturated with effects for my liking. He had Billy Sheehan on bass, and Tony McAlpine on guitar as well. His set was very refreshing after Yngwie's though.

Joe was my fav because his playing and songs seemed more down to earth and accessable. John Petrucci of Dream Theater joined him for 2 songs, and played impeccable note for note harmonies to Joe's blazing lines.

The real highlight of the evening was the Jam at the end, when the 3 shredders were joined by Neal Schon and John Petrucci (who was phenomenal-technique, taste, melody & feel!). The all traded solos over Jimi's Voodoo Chile, Little Wing, and Neil Young's Rockin in the Free World. Neal held up, but was a little out of his element...and thankfully. He has more feel than the guitar aerobics of the other guys.

Ok, I'm done. It was a fun night. It's interesting to hear impressive playing, even if it's not my flavor anymore.

-Johnny
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bailey
Posted 2003-11-14 2:45 AM (#201313 - in reply to #201312)
Subject: Re: Ovations shred in New York!

Johnny

Great review, even though I don't favor those guys, I felt like I was hearing some GOOD music.

Bailey
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)