The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Beautiful 1115 on eBay

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

stonebobbo
Posted 2003-11-13 8:24 PM (#201227)
Subject: Beautiful 1115 on eBay

In case anyone is looking for one of these:

1115-4 on eBay

Bailey, maybe this one's got your name on it ...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-11-13 8:34 PM (#201228 - in reply to #201227)
Subject: Re: Beautiful 1115 on eBay

Bailey's lucky my wife bought me the ME 12-string, I was looking for one of these before that! :D

Seriously, I would be VERY careful on this....the seller has a feedback number of "1" (and ONLY one)....his policy sounds good, but who knows? I'd ask if you could get good close pictures of the top to look for cracks--I saw two of these at a vintage guitar show here in Detroit last weekend that each had a crack running from the fifth string bridge position all the way to the edge of the top parallel to the strings. I'd ask for some good close pictures of the back of the neck as well.
Bailey
Posted 2003-11-14 2:01 AM (#201229 - in reply to #201227)

Stonebobbo

That is close to what I would like, but I need to get more information. I will confer with the boss tomorrow and see if it is worth contacting this seller, maybe his 1 feedback is supposed to be 100, but I can check that out. I know what I want, but I intend to be careful. Thanks for the heads up.

Bailey
Standingovation
Posted 2003-11-14 7:37 AM (#201230 - in reply to #201227)

30 day money back guarantee. Can't beat that deal. Dave
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-11-14 8:00 AM (#201231 - in reply to #201227)

If you can believe it....a seller can SAY anything....with a feedback of 1 he has no track record to show he stands behind what he says. Granted, everyone has to start somewhere, but you still have to be VERY careful. There is only so much eBay will and can do. All they can really do is ban the seller, and they won't do that with one offense. And if you don't pay with PayPal, they will only cover up to $250 on one deal to make good on a bad seller.

That said, it is worth pursuing if one is careful....the fact that the seller's feedback number is so low means it might go fairly cheaply.
Standingovation
Posted 2003-11-14 8:28 AM (#201232 - in reply to #201227)

I had a very similar experience (it was a 10 day money back guarantee) when I bought one of my Ovations. The seller had only 4 feedbacks but offered a 10 day return. And I really wanted the guitar. It was $600. So I offered to "share the risk" by sending only $300. up front. And then after 10 days I would either send the other $300. or return the guitar. That way the seller and I each only had a risk of $300. I was a little surprised that the sell actually agreed to it! And it all worked out fine. I kept the guitar and the seller got his full payment. By the way we worked this out by telephone which made both of us more comfortable. I initiated it by just sending an email asking if he would be willing to discuss it by phone. I'm sure some deals don't end up as nicely as this one, but at least here's one example of a success and maybe a risk-sharing idea that others would be willing to do. Dave
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-11-14 8:47 AM (#201233 - in reply to #201227)

Dave,

That's a great example of the good side of eBay. I am a seller on eBay and am always willing to discuss things as long as the party involved has some credibility(5 or over) plus they are not asking for something that I already said I wouldn't do (usually taking PayPal...I don't).
stonebobbo
Posted 2003-11-14 11:07 AM (#201234 - in reply to #201227)

Bailey ... eBay is a microcosm of the world at large, and as such, there are mostly good people out there. Do be careful ... but like Dave and others, I generally talk to the seller by phone and email during the bid process. I have purchased items from people who have few or no feedbacks. This doesn't make them bad people ... it makes them your neighbor or workmate who simply have something they want to pass on for money.

I wouldn't hesitate to get engaged with the seller. This guitar is obviously a treasure to the seller, else it wouldn't be in the shape its in. There original receipt is in hand. The case is nearly perfect. But I would get a sense of the person ... those of us who have been burned a few times in our lives can generally tell pretty quickly if we're dealing with someone less than honorable.

My experience with these kinds of transactions is that the seller wants their prized baby to go to a good home ... establish a rapport with the seller, and often you get an inside track and can work a good deal even if the reserve isn't met.
Mark1960
Posted 2003-11-14 2:27 PM (#201235 - in reply to #201227)

I saw this guitar at work the other day. It is a nice one for sure.

I only have a feedback rating of 1 but I certainly would not rip anyone off. It just means I have only had the need or desire to use ebay once and it went very well. I guess if I decide to sell anything of real value, I'll need to make some more purchases or sell some things people aren't afraid to buy to get the feedback rating up first before I'm trusted by very many. That kinda sucks but I understand it. There are a lot of ripoffs out there :( . Communication between buyer and seller is always a good thing.

I hope the guitar finds a good home.

mark
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-11-14 3:41 PM (#201236 - in reply to #201227)

I agree with the above....low feedback number doesn't make a person untrustworthy per se, it simply means they are an unknown quantity. Some sellers simply won't deal with a buyer with a low number, and they void their bids. I won't do that, I will always give a person a chance. I have gotten burned a few times, but not many.

Calling the seller is a good idea, and getting better pictures is a good idea, too. The pictures show the guitar and case overall, but I would want to see more detail on the top and the neck. 12-strings are notorious for problems.
Standingovation
Posted 2003-11-14 3:45 PM (#201237 - in reply to #201227)

At one time I had a feedback rating of zero. Dave
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-11-15 6:45 AM (#201238 - in reply to #201227)

Of course...so did I!!!! I built it up by BUYING before trying to sell. Luckily I have an interest in old scientific calculators and slide rules I indulged to build my feedback number up. I'm pretty much only selling now, though.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)