The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Plethora of Ovations for sale?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-11-14 5:17 PM (#201214 - in reply to #201189)
Subject: Re: Plethora of Ovations for sale?

Dave, I agree that 50% seems huge. It would seem in total numbers that Ovation is in the top three to five in total numbers ever made. But with 2 of the top few manufactures maybe not even having an import line, it's hard to tell.

I'm hoping someone with some real perspective can shed some light. We are dealing with some big numbers. I just got to thinking that Ovation has been doing large scale importing of a large amount of guitars for many years. That combined with the known number of USA made guitars and that's a gaggle of roundback guitars out there. That figure of Martin having less than twice the number of USA made guitars as Ovation, but have been around 3 times as long, really just made me think a bit that if you add in the imports... that's a whole lot of guitars out there.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TRboy
Posted 2003-11-14 7:37 PM (#201215 - in reply to #201189)

Other "boxes" that make up a good portion of the market share are Takamines,Epiphones,Washburns (Oscar Schmidt),Deans,etc.

I think why Ovation's numbers are higher than that of Martin's is that Martin has just recently (10 yrs or so??) gotten into the import/lower end guitar market or are the numbers mentioned just for USA models?

Mike :confused:
TRboy
Posted 2003-11-14 7:49 PM (#201216 - in reply to #201189)

My guessamation of 10yrs might be a little off cause I forgot about Sigma!! :rolleyes:

Mike :cool:
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-11-14 7:54 PM (#201217 - in reply to #201189)

Don't forget that Martin attempted a jap-parts "assembled in the USA" range in the 80's with the Shenendoah series. By the early 90's they'd given up on finishing the Shenendoahs in the USA and they were built entirely in Japan
Ralph
Posted 2003-11-14 8:19 PM (#201218 - in reply to #201189)

Yup, Martin Shenandoah were made from 1983 to 1996, with laminated wood. They were built in Japan & shipped to the US for painting & final assembly - kind of silly, isn't it? Maybe Martin wanted to keep "made in USA" on the guitars. They were entirely built in Japan in the last 3 years, however. So Ovation is more smart & have the import products built entirely in Asia, with both foreign & US parts!

By the way, these Shenandoah look almost identical to their USA counterparts, e.g. D2832 is D28 clone. So, be careful when you are shopping for Martin on eBay. Many dishonest sellers try to sell these Shenandoah as regular USA Martin.
BruDeV
Posted 2003-11-14 9:26 PM (#201219 - in reply to #201189)

I've always assumed that due to construction and excellent customer support, that a greater percentage of Ovation guitars are still in existence instead of kindling.
It would be interesting to know how high of a precentage are still alive and well. Especially compared to other brands.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-11-14 10:26 PM (#201220 - in reply to #201189)

"I think why Ovation's numbers are higher than that of Martin's is that Martin has just recently (10 yrs or so??) gotten into the import/lower end guitar market or are the numbers mentioned just for USA models?"

The numbers I found so far are strictly USA Line on all brands posted. Thats actually the point that got me (and I guess a few others) curious.
alpep
Posted 2003-11-15 12:24 AM (#201221 - in reply to #201189)

Guys...

e bay is an enigma. There is no business model for e bay. To try to determine one is foolish, to try to establish trends on ebay is foolish. There is just not enough history for you to do that.

What ebay can be is a barameter for the here and now. If a company is having a sale you will see some dealers trying to move those items on e bay. If the holidays are coming you will see an increase in items posted. If a seller has an overstock of something they may choose e bay to lighten the load.

This week you may see 100 martins and next week 3.

You can rationalize and try to figure it out all you want but there is no logic to it all.

hundreds of thousands of guitars are sold every year in the USA. Where the hell do they all go???
certainly they are not all in my basement, although that would be a good starting point to look.

The guitars are sold and then stored, some are broken, some are destroyed, some are traded, some are thrown out or parted out. Yet we still have hundreds of thousands of guitars coming into the US ever year.

Mind boggleing isn't it????
Bailey
Posted 2003-11-15 1:34 AM (#201222 - in reply to #201189)

I told you about those Calaveras de Guitarras that visited me on Los Dias de Muertos, they die and roam the earth as lost, tormented souls, revisiting those who tortured them with halfass fumbling attempts at music. That's why they showed up at my door, I suspect some of you might be visited also and the mystery of where they go will be solved.

Bailey :eek: :eek: :eek:
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-11-15 1:34 PM (#201223 - in reply to #201189)

I agree with Al. I have been foolin' around on eBay for nearly seven years, and it is difficult to observe much in the way of trends apart from the fact that lots of people sell their stuff there now and the market changes day to day. But the question raised is interesting.

As to the other preceding post, all I can say is that must be the cause for some of the noises I occasionally hear during the night. Especially when I dream that all of my guitar cases contain Celebrities with finish cracks.
Bailey
Posted 2003-11-16 1:50 AM (#201224 - in reply to #201189)

Now we are all frightened, we didn't need that to keep us awake at night. ARE THOSE RUSTLING SOUNDS THE SOUND OF CRACKS FORMING ON OUR FINISH, WOOOUUHOOOUU??? :eek: :eek: :eek:
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-11-16 6:51 AM (#201225 - in reply to #201189)

.... accompanied by the eerie creaking noises of cases opening with the arrival of night...
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-11-16 7:26 AM (#201226 - in reply to #201189)

I'm waiting to see if these are the ghosts of Guitars of Christmas Past, Present, and Future..... :D
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)