The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
American Made Acoustic Guitar Article

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Standingovation
Posted 2003-11-14 3:54 PM (#201177)
Subject: American Made Acoustic Guitar Article

Here's an interesting article on american made acoustic guitars. And not a single mention of Ovation. Dave

http://www.acousticguitar.com/issues/ag91/AmericanGuitars.shtml
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-11-14 4:11 PM (#201178 - in reply to #201177)
Subject: Re: American Made Acoustic Guitar Article

I've only been reading Acoustic Guitar magazine for a few months, but they seem to barely even acknowledge Ovation's existence. Kaman returns the favor by only buying a 1/4-page black and white ad for Adamas every month and that is it. Or could it be cause and effect? If Kaman spent more ad money, they would get more ink???? I'd be interested in others' opinions that have observed this for far longer.
Beal
Posted 2003-11-14 7:33 PM (#201179 - in reply to #201177)

Now you see what it's all about. Al said it all when he said "Ovation don't get no respect" or something like that. Bigotry in action.
samova
Posted 2003-11-14 8:03 PM (#201180 - in reply to #201177)

Ovations are from "Mars" and we are all Martians..Get used to it as long as you own Ovations..I have been a Martian for 15 years now...Screw Acoustic guitar magazines,it might as well be "Acoustic Guitar Snobs" or "we kiss Martin and Taylors ass magazine"
Bailey
Posted 2003-11-15 2:04 AM (#201181 - in reply to #201177)

Just read the referenced article, and it confirms what I have been shouting for years. American acoustic builders have sold their soul for volume, there wasn't one word in that article saying those production clones had any quality at all, only market volume. I have seen some of the models he praises and they are worse than the import models of some other brands. Haven't read it in a while, but if it's good reviews are based on advertising space bought, it would not be any more than an advertising flyer. I strongly suspect that it is produced by Martin snobs, and expects all acoustics to be a variation on that theme.

Bailey
richardd
Posted 2003-11-15 3:05 AM (#201182 - in reply to #201177)

In fairness to "Acoustic Guitar", I have read a couple of pretty favorable reviews of Ovations over the years and I remember they did an excellent cover story on the history of Ovation which covered several pages and was very good.

However, to the acoustic "purist" the Ovation guitar will always be considered an outsider even if those so called "purists" have never played one.
xnoel
Posted 2003-11-15 9:54 AM (#201183 - in reply to #201177)

A little sarcasim? here, Why do so many people think guitars must be made out of all wood? Because when guitars were invented, the only material available was WOOD! If the guitar had not been invented until 1966, everyone might think all guitars should have round lyrachord bowls! Then we could laugh at all those weirdos with their funnly looking "wooden guitars"!

Noel
alpep
Posted 2003-11-15 10:34 AM (#201184 - in reply to #201177)

The article reads like an advertisement. There are MANY instances of the use of CNC in guitar manufacturing before trailer.

Peavey did it back in the late 70's early 80's with their low budget made in usa solid bodies.

The idea that your guitar is only touched by humans is no longer true. If you want one built in that method you need to find a D'Angelico or some other guitar made by a custom luthier.

Every time I visit the Ovation factory with a group the same thing happens. there are people there that go out wide eyed in amazement gasping for air saying "Oh my God there is so much hand work done in making an Ovation" Well what the hell do you think? you put a block of wood on one side of the conveyor and out pops a guitar at the end???????

The author of the article should be invited to the factory to see how they are actually made. In fact I ran into some of the acoustic guitar mag guys at the factory a few years ago. (I happen to know a couple of them)

The anti Ovation bias is still huge even at 35 years. When you look at the roster of people the "used to" play the guitars it is staggering.

Remember why did these people play Ovations in the first place? because IT WAS THE ONLY GUITAR THAT COULD DO WHAT IT DOES EFFECTIVELY. I remember reading articles with martin saying they were not interested in putting pickups in their guitars. guess what? they do. Now that everyone has COPIED Ovation, they need to "reinvent" themselves and push back up to the front of the line like they were in the seventies and eighties. sure trends and fashions change but great guitars will remain great guitars.

The stuff you will see coming out of New Hartford in the next months will absolutely make a statement to the acoustic and acoustic electric playing guitar world. ( I just don't have the clearance to say anything more sorry)
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-11-15 10:51 AM (#201185 - in reply to #201177)

Al, don't want to get you in trouble....I know you can't say WHAT...can you give a clue as to WHEN???? I'll be in the market for a U.S.-made 6-string within 2-3 months.....
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-11-15 8:41 PM (#201186 - in reply to #201177)

WHile we are on the subject, didn't the oldest stringed intsruments, the ones that inspired the guitar have ROUND BACKS??
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2003-11-15 10:24 PM (#201187 - in reply to #201177)

All I know is what works for me. I don't really care what any magazine says for or against Ovation guitars. They have served me very well for quite awhile now, as I know they have done for the members of our fan club. Ovaitons have and I guess always will be roundback guitars. I wouldn't have it any other way. I was impressed from the first time I played one, as I am now each time I pick one up. Just today I played at a wedding using a 24 year old Custom Legend I got last week. Not only did I get complements on how beautiful the guitar is, but most important on how is sounded. Thats what has made Ovations the guitar for me since I started playing. They just do everything right.
Bailey
Posted 2003-11-16 12:42 AM (#201188 - in reply to #201177)

Miles

Some of the finest wood artistry went into those roundback instruments. The old roundback mandolins were often pieces of art with beautiful wood, and beautiful wood work. They had a distinctive sound that fit their usage as a semi classical instrument quite well. Ovation has carried on that tradition well, with beautiful instruments and distinctive sound.

Bailey
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)