The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Bracing over the years

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

SouthernOvationFan
Posted 2003-11-14 7:15 PM (#201173)
Subject: Bracing over the years

Of all the bracing patterns Ovation has used through the years, which one offer the most protection againt top warpage? I am talking about older round hole Ovations. I have seem some where the area around the sounhole has sunken some. Which Ovation roundhole models hold up the longest as far as the top staying true?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-11-14 7:48 PM (#201174 - in reply to #201173)
Subject: Re: Bracing over the years

There's too many variables to attribute top problems to a bracing pattern. If the guitars have been maintained, stored and transported correctly, the bracing should not be an issue. I've seen problems on guitars with all bracing patterns, includng the A, but this is probably down to abuse or neglect rather than an inherent fault. Remember also that bracing has as much or more to do with controlling tone as it does maintaining structural integrity.

My 68 Balladeer has very strange bracing. It's a cross brace, but there are no tone bars, just the basic "X" and nothing else. It had a top crack repaired years before I got it. Despite this minimal bracing and 35 years of string tension the top is fine.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2003-11-14 10:38 PM (#201175 - in reply to #201173)

Paul T, would you consider the A bracing pattern as the strongest, or do you thinks all of Ovations bracing patterns are about the same when it comes to strength?
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-11-15 4:41 AM (#201176 - in reply to #201173)

I have no idea, I was making the point that I have seen countless Ovations of every vintage and with every bracing pattern which have shown no signs of top problems & a handful of all patterns which have shown problems. From which I draw the conclusion that there are other factors at work, such as climate or neglect. I've seen plenty X-braced guitars of all makes with sunken & pulled tops, but that does not mean the X-brace isn't a good design.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)