The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Some questions about Ovation Guitars

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Stan
Posted 2003-11-15 7:00 PM (#201071)
Subject: Some questions about Ovation Guitars

Ovation guitars had been well respected in the 70s when I first start to play acoustic guitars. Especially the Adamas I series are being the collectable items now. I always have some questions in my mind:

1. The Ovation company should know which products were popular and love by Ovation Fans, why are they not producing new guitars with features just like the Adamas I ,eg., with Carved Head, blue, red burst color, slotted head etc.

2. In the recent years, acoustic guitars players preferred traditional solid wood guitars more than those like Ovation using alternative materials. Why Ovation wouldn't consider a new product line which is using Spruce top and solid wood back & sides ? I understand that their first prototype is a wooden guitar. I also understand that the Round Bowl Back is a trade mark for Ovation, but I think that a full solid wood guitar is also possible.

Lastly, I must say that I am always a Ovation lover since 1978 when I bought my 1st 1121 Ovation. Now I have 5 and is going to get a Adamas 12. These are just my feeling and thoughts to be shared.

Stanley
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Slipkid
Posted 2003-11-15 7:31 PM (#201072 - in reply to #201071)
Subject: Re: Some questions about Ovation Guitars

Hmmmm...there was "Let's change Coca-Cola", "Let's remake Planet of the Apes", and "Let's put the Pinto gas tank here".
:)
Sorry....I should not be sarcastic. I just think that the old line "Dance with who brong ya" fits.
To me, Ovation has always been the inovation leader. First the roundback, then electonics, then a composite top. Let's wait a few months and see what they have to show us. Perhaps Martin should think about making a shallow roundback and incase it in a wood body?
Brad
Ralph
Posted 2003-11-15 8:07 PM (#201073 - in reply to #201071)

Stan, you can order Adamas 1 from Ovation. In fact, you can order Ovation with pretty much any features you like if you are willing to pay.

We like those old features you mentioned because we are "old" & have been Ovation fans since the 70s. A lot of these old fans (baby boomers for the US) are now more affluent & can afford expensive & great sounding guitars, e.g. Goodall, Martin, Collings, Taylor, Santa Cruz.

Young customers may not like these old features. If you were the execs of Kaman, you would listen to the people who are actually buying their products.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-11-15 9:11 PM (#201074 - in reply to #201071)

Gibson tried a roundback once, the J25. Long gone & forgotten, and rightly so. Martin now have a carbon-topped guitar in their line which is almost as big a joke as their formica guitars. Why would Ovation want to make a traditional guitar afer almost 40 years of flying in the face of tradition?
Bailey
Posted 2003-11-16 1:11 AM (#201075 - in reply to #201071)

None of us are screaming for a change of that magnitude, all we ask is the greatest of roundbacks, with the not so greats called something other than Ovation. No need to change that distinctive, Rolls Royce type body to a copy of an 80's Cadillac with the slanted trunk copy of a Lincoln Continental.
richardd
Posted 2003-11-16 8:08 AM (#201076 - in reply to #201071)

Well, as Ralph said, if you prefer an old style Ovation, order one (I did).

I think Ovations biggest challenge is to convince non believers that Ovations are first and foremost an acoustic instrument and somehow kill the notion that they can only sound good plugged.

However trying to be like all the other makers is not the answer, it's not Ovations way.
Ralph
Posted 2003-11-16 7:38 PM (#201077 - in reply to #201071)

Stan, Ovation does make wood side/back guitars - Viper CV 68, EA63, EA 68.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)