The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Flakey Neck

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-11-16 10:42 AM (#201014)
Subject: Flakey Neck

This isn't exactly about an Ovation, but it's certainly guitar related and I guess could easily be about an Ovation, it just isn't this time.

Now that you are totally confused...

Has anyone experienced the laquer on the fretboard flaking off in pieces? A friend of mine as a nice Made In USA Strat, only a few years old, and in the area of the money frets the laquer has shipped out in a few places, especially along the upper edge (like where your thumb might touch if you reach around). There doesn't seem to be any problem on the bottom side of the neck where the hand obviously rests all the time.

Anyone have any thoughts? Do USA Made Fenders have a similar lifetime Warantee if you are the original owner? Has this or can this happen on an Ovation?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
seesquare
Posted 2003-11-16 10:59 AM (#201015 - in reply to #201014)
Subject: Re: Flakey Neck

I've heard aftershave lotions are deadly on guitar finishes. Don't know if that helps, or adds to the confusion.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-11-16 11:58 AM (#201016 - in reply to #201014)

This is not uncommon on Fenders with maple necks & fingerboards, I can't recall ever seeing the same condition on an Ovation.
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-11-16 1:01 PM (#201017 - in reply to #201014)

I happened to notice the same on the back (not the fingerboard) of my japanese ibanez roadstar II form '86.

I had the same once when i painted a table with alkyd-resin (don't know if that's called the same in english). This had to do with moisture in the wood not being able to 'breathe out' through the resin.

I don't know about warranty issues.

Martin
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-11-16 4:23 PM (#201018 - in reply to #201014)

I can't speak to the warranty question, as I am not a dealer and have never bought a new Fender.

But I do know from extensive experience that maple fretboard Strats from the early and mid-nineties are notorious for flaking on the fretboard edges. Most of what I have seen are on the treble side of the board, tho I have seen it on the bass side and on the heel edge, too.

The problem usually stabilizes and in just about all of the cases I have seen does not effect playability. But on one of the worse afflicted fretboards a tech cut out a bit of the old maple and put in a wooden filler piece and sealed it.

I, too, have never seen this problem on an Ovation fretboard and that is consistent for several hundred of them.

About those pesky finish cracks, tho.....
an43402
Posted 2003-11-16 9:25 PM (#201019 - in reply to #201014)

I concur with Paul B. It should stabilize and won't affect playablity. It''s character. If he wants to get rid of it a good electric luthier can refinish the neck, but if it plays good, why bother?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)