The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Think this could be built?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2003-11-17 12:46 PM (#200919)
Subject: Think this could be built?

Do you think it would be possible for Hamer to built an exact replica of an older Ovation solidbody like a Viper, Deacon, or Breadwinner? I can just imagine how nice a Viper made by Hamer would be with all the wood choices they offer? Would Hamer consider this? Would it cost a fortune? Can they still machine old Ovation solidbody necks and bodies? I just picture a beautiful quilted maple top Viper with Hamer on the headstock. What do you guys think about that?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-11-17 1:13 PM (#200920 - in reply to #200919)
Subject: Re: Think this could be built?

This is probably going to sound odd from me, but I'm sure they can do just about anything. But at what cost? Also there is the hardware and pickup issues. If it's not going to have the essence of the the original, than it's sortofa "what's the point?" And the sound was the essence of the originals.

What would be more feasible is to get an original in mint condition, and get someone to carve a new body out of whatever you wanted. You could then even turn it into a set-neck. If you really want to get radical have someone buils a neck-thru version using the existing mint one as a model.

I have a set-neck Viper. It has potted pickups and was wondering how it would sound with stock pickups, or even the Bluebird comination of the UKII pickups. Personally I think it would rock, but I haven't tried it yet.

I think a set-neck Deacon would be great, with the original style Breadinner pickups, maybe re-wound if the quality of wire has imporved. Using the original cores and such.

These would be interesting pieces, but I think starting from scratch would be at least $2K unless it was using existing parts, in which case.... again.. what's the point. Just buy a nice Hamer.
Standingovation
Posted 2003-11-17 2:30 PM (#200921 - in reply to #200919)

I asked Jol if Hamer would custom build one of their standard USA models, but make an Ovation shaped headstock and put an Ovation logo on it. I was politely told ... NO.

It is possible to get a custom body made and use used Ovation parts to build something up. One of our esteemed club members had a double neck 6/12 Breadwinner made. I think he had a wood furnature company make the body. Another option (I did this) would to to obtain a used V/P/B/D and gut it to put in completely new and modern electronics.

Another option (somebody did this, but I can't recall who) would be to have a Viper EA-68 customer built to include additional pickup(s) and electronics.

Dave
alpep
Posted 2003-11-17 3:02 PM (#200922 - in reply to #200919)

Originally posted by Standingovation:
[QB]I asked Jol if Hamer would custom build one of their standard USA models, but make an Ovation shaped headstock and put an Ovation logo on it. I was politely told ... NO.

why would Hamer want to do that? they make great guitars. Sure they can copy it but it seems like a waste of time. Buy one of their stock models they are fantastic.

Another option (somebody did this, but I can't recall who) would be to have a Viper EA-68 customer built to include additional pickup(s) and electronics.

that was me
Standingovation
Posted 2003-11-17 3:09 PM (#200923 - in reply to #200919)

Al, YES Hamer makes great guitars, that's why I want one. But I think the Hamer headstock is ugly compared to the Ovation headstock. Just my opinion - don't shoot me. Hmmm ... let's just say Jol WOULD make one with an Ovation headstock. Would look kind of like a GP ???

Dave
Beal
Posted 2003-11-17 4:35 PM (#200924 - in reply to #200919)

Making the shapes in wood isn't the big problem. Making the pickups again would be a big job if not impossible.
samova
Posted 2003-11-17 4:43 PM (#200925 - in reply to #200919)

Paul, i had a custom furniture builder build the double neck deacon(see it in the gallary) that i made..He can replicate the deacon body exactly.Every contour,every hole and pick up route was exactly like a real deacon
He also built it out of one solid piece of mahogany..I added all the original ovation parts(necks,tuners,bridges,etc.) to complete it..
If it wasnt for the fact that i got a wild hair to build the double neck i would never have made a single deacon body..There are too many out there available for sale in great condition to even think about having a custom made done.It would cost $2 -$3 thousand to do this,so whats the point? You can find a great vintage deacon for around $500....
Bailey
Posted 2003-11-18 1:37 AM (#200926 - in reply to #200919)

Hell Yes

Just go out there and buy Vipers, Deacons, Breadwinners for less than $300, why would you want Hamer to build a flawed copy. Buy a Hamer for it's qualities, and buy a Viper for it's qualities, there are a lot of them around.

Bailey (I ain't selling my Viper, so don't ask)
adamas72
Posted 2003-11-18 8:05 PM (#200927 - in reply to #200919)

Having worked on many of the factory produced Ovation elec. geetars it's like CWK2 said about the woodworking we still can, but we would have to update the electronics, Joel @ Hamer would be the go to guy for that, if we made it the shock would be jolting, we would all want to own one and production would love all of the work. :cool: :cool:

HAVE A NICE NITE
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)