The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Check out my new Elite

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

SteveL778
Posted 2003-11-19 1:03 PM (#200777)
Subject: Check out my new Elite

Guys I finally recieved my Elite L778 in the mail yesterday. I am very pleased with the guitar but there seems to be a tiny flaw where the neck joins the body. It is almost like the coating on the bowl stops before it meets the neck (kinda like a small gap)

Here is a pic of the guitar

http://www3.nf.sympatico.ca/steveh/Ovation.jpg
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-11-19 1:36 PM (#200778 - in reply to #200777)
Subject: Re: Check out my new Elite

Gorgeous Guitar!

I think the "flaw" happened when they put the body on the neck upside down! :D

tim
Jeff
Posted 2003-11-19 3:09 PM (#200779 - in reply to #200777)

Hi Steve,

From one lefty to another:

Congratulations... That's a beautiful guitar!

Enjoy!

Jeff
suzencarson
Posted 2003-11-19 3:38 PM (#200780 - in reply to #200777)

Tim, You crack me up! It took me a minute!

Steve, It IS beautiful!
SteveL778
Posted 2003-11-19 8:59 PM (#200781 - in reply to #200777)

Guys for some reason this guitar does not have the OP 40 electronics. Can someone have a look at my preamp and tell me what it is?

http://www3.nf.sympatico.ca/steveh/Ovationelectronics.jpg
Standingovation
Posted 2003-11-19 9:05 PM (#200782 - in reply to #200777)

OP-24 C. That's a nice one.

Dave

PS - you can find the following info on the ovation web site:

Volume
This slide control allows you to set the output level of the preamp. Moving the slider toward the top increases the output level. The OP-24Plus/OP-24Plus C can output a very potent signal, so be careful not to "overdrive" your amp or mixer. If you notice any unwanted signal coloration, just reduce the output level of the guitar with this control.

Battery Low
This indicator performs two functions. First, when you plug in a cable to the output jack, it will flash briefly to indicate that a battery is present. If no flash is evident, your battery is either dead or not installed. Secondly, this indicator will illuminate (and stay on) if the voltage of the battery installed in the guitar dips below about 7 volts. Replace the battery as soon as possible. With average use, expect 100 hours of operation per battery.

EQ Controls
The EQ section allows you to accent or attenuate certain frequency bands within the guitar's audio spectrum. When all of the controls are in the center (detent) position, signals pass through the circuit unaltered. Raising an EQ knob above the center position increases the energy contained within that spectrum. Likewise, moving the control below the center position decreases the signals within that band.

The OP-24Plus and OP-24Plus C preamp offers +/- 12dB control simultaneously over three discrete ranges of the guitar's sonic spectrum. In addition, with the Mid-Shift switch, you can change the center frequency of the Mid EQ control by roughly one octave.

The Low EQ control allows you to increase or reduce the sound in the bass region. Raise this control above the center position to add fullness or bottom to your sound. De-emphasizing this band results in a lighter, less ponderous sound quality.

The High EQ control performs similarly to the "Low" control except that its effect shapes the high frequency, or treble band. Increase this control for bright or airy sounds, or decrease for darker or round tonalities.

Much like the High and Low controls, the Mid-band control adds coloration to one of two user-selectable midrange frequencies. With the Mid-Shift switch in the 400Hz position (down), the mid EQ is effective controlling "nasal" tone qualities while in the 1KHz position, the mid control can add punch in upper mids or help "round off" the attack present in this frequency spectrum.

EQ In/Out
This push-button enables you to engage or defeat the EQ section. When the switch is in the depressed position, the EQ is active.

Mid-Shift
As discussed above, this switch allows you select the center of the frequency band in which you would like the Mid control to operate.

Pre-Shape
By engaging this control (switch in the "down" position), you add a fixed EQ curve on the sound from the pickup. Technically speaking, when the pre-shape circuit is in operation, the bass and treble frequencies are enhanced while at the same time, mid range response is attenuated. This pre-emphasis can be used alone, or with any other EQ settings you "dial in" with the three EQ controls.

Tuner (OP24 Plus C only)
Pushing the tuner button activates the built-in tuner. When turned on, the green "OK" LED flashes. Playing a note on your guitar will illuminate a "note" LED on the bottom row which indicates the name of the note played. If this note is a sharp (or flat) the LED on the far right will also light. In addition to these LEDs, one of the three indicators in the row above will turn on. If the note you're playing is substantially flat, the left LED will glow brightly and, as you tune the string sharper, this "flat" LED will get dimmer and finally shut off as the "OK" LED lights to indicate that the pitch you're playing is in tune. Likewise, if you're playing a note that is sharper than the correct pitch, the "Sharp" LED will light. Tuning the string lower will cause this LED to dim and finally yield to the "OK" LED.

It is not usual to perform the tuning procedure on all strings more than once to get your instrument tuned correctly, especially if you're using new strings. Although there is a built-in auto-off feature for the tuner circuit, to conserve battery power, it's a good idea to push the tuner button again to manually turn off the circuit when you're done tuning.
SteveL778
Posted 2003-11-19 9:47 PM (#200783 - in reply to #200777)

Standingovation, thank you very much for the info on the preamp. Do you know when Ovation stopped using these preamps?
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-11-19 9:52 PM (#200784 - in reply to #200777)

Almost two years ago. They are still great pre amps. Ovation just went to a modular system.
breeze2u
Posted 2003-11-19 9:58 PM (#200785 - in reply to #200777)

Nice Steve! Can't wait 'till my S778 gets here next week.
I'm left-handed but can't possibly play a lefty.
I don't think I'm getting the OP24C preamp, but I'd love to have it.
I think the Boss TU-2 might be the ticket for me.

Breeze :)
SteveL778
Posted 2003-11-19 10:10 PM (#200786 - in reply to #200777)

Thanks for the info Moody. I checked out the "cracking the code" section on the Ovation website. According to my serial number my L778 must have been made in early 2002, I'm pretty sure it was old stock at Litz music. breeze2u, I have been using the preamp for a mere two days and I have noticed the tuner to jump from flat to Sharpe. For example, when I tune the E string the tuner will show a little flat and green, when I attempt to adjust the tuning key it quickly jumps to green/sharp. I can't seem to get it exactly on green. That being said the tuner is very handy. I simply push the button on the preamp and the tuner comes on, very nice. Thanks to everyone for their words of encouragement toward my new Ovation. I will get a nice photo that actually shows a little shine and detail and post it in the photos section.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-11-19 11:27 PM (#200787 - in reply to #200777)

Steve:

I've got an old 1968 GC 12 string that has the new OP 40 installed in it and I have the same problem with the tuner telling me that with just a small adjustment, the string is suddenly going flat or sharp. I don't think that the problem is with the tuner, but possibly with the nut. If it doesn't slide easily, it can jump on you.
Bluebird
Posted 2003-11-20 7:33 AM (#200788 - in reply to #200777)

Steve, try turning the bass up and the treble down on your eq when using the tuner. This helps the tuner to hold the note steadier, longer. Also, try tuning to a twelth fret harmonic. I find this gives a more even result across the entire fret board.
One last thing, always tune "up", not "down", as this reduces gear lash being a factor preventing the tuned note from change smoothly instead of jumping.

Wayne
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-11-20 8:50 AM (#200789 - in reply to #200777)

Wayne, that's an interesting thought regarding the eq adjustment's affect on the tuner. I'll give that a try as well. And the harmonic tuning advise is spot on.
SteveL778
Posted 2003-11-20 10:42 AM (#200790 - in reply to #200777)

Would the eq setting affect the tuner even if I'm not plugged in? What exactly do you mean tune "up" & "down"?
Stevechapman
Posted 2003-11-20 10:45 AM (#200791 - in reply to #200777)

Congrats Steve!
That's one Beautiful AX. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
cliff
Posted 2003-11-20 10:52 AM (#200792 - in reply to #200777)

". . What exactly do you mean tune "up" & "down"? . ."

Start out "way flat" and tune "up" to the desired note.

I do that when I tune "by ear" as well.
I just naturally hear the note better when I'm tuning "up" to it than the reverse, for some reason.
SteveL778
Posted 2003-11-20 11:42 AM (#200793 - in reply to #200777)

Thanks for the advice Cliff, I read a little too deep into your statement. I will try that method when I am tuning in the future.
Bluebird
Posted 2003-11-20 12:24 PM (#200794 - in reply to #200777)

"Would the eq setting affect the tuner even if I'm not plugged in?"

Good question Steve, I never thought of that...I don't have any of those fancy new-fangled preamps! :)
I suspect onboard tuners are wired in ahead of the preamp so this trick wouldn't help in your case. It works great for outboard tuners though.

Wayne
Strummin12
Posted 2003-11-20 1:05 PM (#200795 - in reply to #200777)

I believe that it is best to "tune up" to a note because it creates EVEN pulling tension on the string from BOTH sides of the nut from the turn of the tuning machine key.

If you did it in reverse (tuning down to pitch), there would immdiately be less tension on the headstock side of the nut, creating a mild build up of "slack" at the nut as the string loosens (because nothing is pulling the string through the nut towards the bridge except string tension). The texture of the string can make it get caught up at the nut instead of sliding evenly through. Eventually, but not immediately, this extra slack would gradually slide through the nut-evening out the string's tension (most likely once you start to play and create demand on the string), thus loosening the ovarall tension going to the bridge, and creating a mild pitch drop. Tuning time wasted, accurracy gone.

Johnny
Nils
Posted 2003-11-20 8:19 PM (#200796 - in reply to #200777)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
Steve:

I've got an old 1968 GC 12 string that has the new OP 40 installed in it and I have the same problem with the tuner telling me that with just a small adjustment, the string is suddenly going flat or sharp. I don't think that the problem is with the tuner, but possibly with the nut. If it doesn't slide easily, it can jump on you.

I agree. I have noticed the same "jumpiness" using the OP40 in my 12 string, primarily with the larger strings. I have also noticed that it is less of a problem since I switched to Elixir strings. I think maybe it is because they slide across the nut more smoothly.

/\/\/
Bailey
Posted 2003-11-21 1:40 AM (#200797 - in reply to #200777)

Somewhere I have seen an ad or discussion of a lubricant for the nut, anybody seen this?

Bailey
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-11-21 3:36 AM (#200798 - in reply to #200777)

The Ovation built-in tuners are very accurate, measuring in cents. I notice that not only with the ovation type, but also different brands, those highly accurate ones are very jumpy.

I'd advise you not to pay too much attention to this. Use the tuner as a guiding light (literally) and tune up by ear, checking the tuner now and then. Playing louder on the bass strings has an effect on the tuner. place where you hit your strings has an effect.

Overall, i use it to find the right pitch and then tune up by ear, checking again at the end of the process. Tuning by ear gives you the opportunity to compensate minor intonation imperfections every guitar has as well, by playing different chords on different positions. My experience (with all my guitars) is that, even on a very well setup and intonated guitar, tuning only with a tuning device almost never is enough. I always want to compensate.

When I play rock, i make sure power chords sound perfect, when i play jazz i compensate a little on all strings.

Martin
cliff
Posted 2003-11-21 8:40 AM (#200799 - in reply to #200777)

". . . Somewhere I have seen an ad or discussion of a lubricant for the nut, anybody seen this? . . "

A lil' bit o' graphite.
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-11-21 8:47 AM (#200800 - in reply to #200777)

lubricant for the nut?? right or left?

sorry, couldn't resist :)

Martin
an4340
Posted 2003-11-21 9:26 AM (#200801 - in reply to #200777)

When I'm tuning, I'll use a tuner to get very very very close to concert pitch, and then use harmonics to make it spot on, 5th fret to 7th fret etc.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)