The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Viper Opinions

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

play4fun
Posted 2003-11-20 6:44 PM (#200634)
Subject: Viper Opinions

I'm toying with the idea of buying a Viper (the acoustic variety,not the older solid bodies) but can't find much in the way of reviews/opinions. (I live in a small town and don't have easy access for hands on)One thing I've noticed (and don't understand) is that the nut width on the US version is listed at 1 7/8" while the korean,and most all other ovations, are 1 11/16" ...seams to me that is a substancial difference??? Any comments dealing with sound (yes I know these are definatly plug in instruments) and playability will be appriciated! :confused:
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-11-20 8:01 PM (#200635 - in reply to #200634)
Subject: Re: Viper Opinions

The nut width on the Viper EA68 steel string is the same as all othr standard width Ovations at 1 11/16ths. The Viper EA63 nylon-string has the 1 7/8ths neck

The Vipers are great. I bought a bass version for my bass player a while ago & intend to aquire at least one 6 string version for myself sometime soon. They don't sound exactly like a full-bodied acoustic guitar plugged-in but they're pretty close, especially in a band mix, & your ears will bleed before they feedback
TRboy
Posted 2003-11-20 8:51 PM (#200636 - in reply to #200634)

I have a '94 which I think is the first year for the "new" acoustic versions and I love it!!!

As Paul T. mentioned it sounds more like an acoustic in a band mix (ever hear Glen Campbell play "Classical Gas" or "The William Tell Overture" on his viper?) to my ears the sound is alittle "twangy" They have a super smooth & fast neck! I removed all but one shim & tweeked the neck on mine and it plays like "budda" wih no string buzz - I just have to barely breathe on the strings to chord it!!!

Doesn't put out much sound unplugged (a tad louder that playing a strat/tele unplugged I imagine due to the chambers) The slim profile back is a pleasure sitting or standing - more so standing where it feels more like an electric.

If you're looking for a more plugged in acoustic sound for just yourself on stage you would be better off with a mid-depth or deep bowl acoustic/electric but if you're in a full band where you want to be heard with the rest then the viper will definitely fit the bill!!!

Mike :cool:
play4fun
Posted 2003-11-20 9:47 PM (#200637 - in reply to #200634)

Thanks for responding..that makes alot more sence about the nut width. Thing is, I used to have a shallow bowl custom elite but sold it and bought a Taylor 814ce.The Taylor's a great guitar but doesn't play quite as fast and easy as the elite. I wasn't crazy about the round back..tended to turn up on me. Sooo I think a viper might be alot of fun to play. I wouldn't expect it to match the sound of the Taylor but if it has a decent plugged in sound ,then perhaps it would be worthwhile to add one to my small arsenal.(Currently the Taylor, a DeArmond T400 ,a Jimmie Vaughan strat and a vintage Arnold Hoyer jazz box) Any body have any thoughts about the usa versus the korean made? I think I'd rather go american but maybe thats just prejudice...
Bailey
Posted 2003-11-21 1:23 AM (#200638 - in reply to #200634)

Play4fun

As a solid body Viper owner, I resent the theft of that noble name, however, I'll take the word of our experts that it sounds good so all is forgiven. I picture it as similar to the hollow body electrics like Roy Orbison and Chet Atkins played and I would think if you can afford it, try to get an American one. There was some discussion of these Vipers way back when Shania Twain was seen playing one, I have seen her biography and wish to retract anything that I said about her that was impolite, I respect her greatly for raising her siblings after her parents were killed in an auto accident. She worked hard for what she has and deserves it.

Bailey
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-11-21 2:48 AM (#200639 - in reply to #200634)

It took me awhile to figure out why they called the newer one a Viper, and I think Al pointed it out to me that the shape of the top is similar to the old solidbody. Kinda cool when it was put that way.
TRboy
Posted 2003-11-21 9:49 PM (#200640 - in reply to #200634)

Beautiful example of a USA Viper with a great Buy-It-Now price!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2575014283&category=33029

One year newer than mine and looks fantastic - The top looks stunning in the pics but if it's anything like when I first laid eyes on mine, it'll take your breath away!!(mine has a deep,rich,warm honey color that glows)

Looks to be in great shape except for the (minor) scratch on back!

Good Luck - Mike :cool:
TRboy
Posted 2003-11-21 10:02 PM (#200641 - in reply to #200634)

One more......
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2574792776&category=33029

Bailey
Posted 2003-11-22 1:17 AM (#200642 - in reply to #200634)

Beautiful guitars! I no longer resent their theft of the Viper name, they are a credit to it, but could we steal the Dodge Viper logo and at least put it on the case, a 10 cylinder, 600 HP guitar has a certain attraction, especially if it looks that good.

Bailey
play4fun
Posted 2003-11-22 8:23 AM (#200643 - in reply to #200634)

Trboy...Yep I've been on the lookout at ebay.There's a huge price difference between used and new so if I take the plunge I'll be going that way. There is also this flametop one (link below),maple I would presume, and I wonder what the story is on this version and if it would sound much different than the spruce top?
Bailey ...Shania is an incredable woman for sure! Got nothin against the solid body vipers..I'll bet they're pretty cool too..As for my earlier question about nut width;the Ovation web site does list the EA68 as having a 1 7/8" width but I guess it must be a mistake..one more question...is the no fret marker thing hard to get used to? Flame top Viper :rolleyes:
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-11-22 11:58 AM (#200644 - in reply to #200634)

I bid on the 'flame top' specimen because the color is comparatively rare. A friend of mine did an A/B comparison between a figured top EA68 and a standard spruce top, and in his test the figured top sounded brigher and cut through the mix better. One sample does not a study make, however.

These do have a standard nut width, and can be set up to play very much like an electric guitar. The EA68 guitars that I have used on stage were left strung with heavier acoustic strings, because I simply liked the feel of them for what I used the guitar for. But they can easily be strung with '10's, e.g., for those who like to play a lot of single note lines and bend strings. The EA68 also lends itself well to effects.

My biggest 'complaint' about using the EA68 live is that as an acoustic player I have to change my monitor mix to hear more of my guitar, and I become dependent on hearing my guitar sound in the overall mix. That isn't necessarily a bad thing and is normal for those who play through stage amps, but I have simply gotten used to hearing my own guitar acoustically and perhaps am getting to a stodgy age where change comes with greater difficulty.

All of that notwithstanding, the EA68 is a wonderful guitar.
TRboy
Posted 2003-11-22 3:35 PM (#200645 - in reply to #200634)

I've watched the prices on these unique instruments drop in price over the past year and a half. They use to list and sell on ebay consistently over $1000 but it's a buyers market now with beautiful models going for $500-$600 range. I bought mine the first of this year on ebay with a Buy-It-Now of $550 with the only "flaw" being a smaller than a BB lacquer bubble near the edge of the lower bout (seller mentioned it in his description and I really had to look hard & long to find it when I got the guitar) I even waited (nervously :eek: ) two days for the seller to email me the answers to some questions I'd asked before I pulled the trigger on the Buy-It-Now and no one had even bid yet!!
. . . . .
So ax a lot of questions and if it "feels" right then go for it! They are extremely well built guitars and are very versatile!
. . . . .
I'm also on the lookout for the EA63 nylon verson but they seem to still command (or is that Kaman!)the higher ($900+) price!!

Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-11-22 3:58 PM (#200646 - in reply to #200634)

Ebay prices have indeed dropped of late on EA68 Vipers. This makes them a tremendous value compared to Gibson Chet Atkins SST models, which in my opinion based on owning a couple of them, are in no way superior to the Ovations. I personally don't think they are as good as the Vipers.

The EA63 nylon string Vipers are made in few numbers and are much harder to find. Supply and demand keeps the prices higher, it appears.
TRboy
Posted 2003-11-22 8:51 PM (#200647 - in reply to #200634)

Paul B,

Did you ever find a buyer for your black Viper,the one that was in a fire?
. . . . .

Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-11-22 10:16 PM (#200648 - in reply to #200634)

Yes, the high bidder in that auction ended up buying it. It was, in fact, a much better guitar than it seemed from the physical description. Rather like some of us, too..... ;)
alpep
Posted 2003-11-23 5:31 AM (#200649 - in reply to #200634)

the low prices make me sick
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-11-23 6:52 AM (#200650 - in reply to #200634)

I understand. My own symptoms depend on whether I am selling or buying, so I suspect some of us are much less sick than others.
play4fun
Posted 2003-11-23 7:43 AM (#200651 - in reply to #200634)

Definatly a buyers market right now...don't blame me ,I voted for Gore! Back to my question about fret markers..in looking at the photos of 2 on ebay it appears that one has side makers and one does not. Could that be the case or possibly they are just washed out in the one photo?

alpep...I see there is a viper listed on your website.What are you asking and do you do trades? I have a rare Arnold Hoyer "Solist" jazz box from the 50's that I'm thinking of letting go. If anyone's interested I can email pics.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-11-23 4:13 PM (#200652 - in reply to #200634)

I think someone should be rather pleased with the orange flame top EA68 they just won for $482.
alpep
Posted 2003-11-23 5:50 PM (#200653 - in reply to #200634)

play 4 fun
Yes I am intested in trades
e mail me
thanks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)