The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Brian May on his Ovation 12 string

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Mark1960
Posted 2003-11-29 3:35 AM (#200366)
Subject: Brian May on his Ovation 12 string

I must have been feeling nostalgic the other night while looking at some concert dvd's. Some music takes you back as soon as you think about it or hear it. When I first saw the Queen Live at Wembley Stadium dvd, a smile came over me as so many memories flooded my mind. I saw them twice when I was young. The first time was during an Indiana blizzard. My dad (bless his heart) let me drive his 1976 Chrysler Cordoba and take my first real sweetheart and her best friend to see what turned out to be a great show. Dad was mad when he found the burn holes his velour seats but he got over it quick.. LOL. It was the first time I remember seeing someone play an Ovation. Man, that was a great night for me. I was just 17....now my boy is 17. Damn, time sure flies.

The second time, I was in West Germany as a young man in the Army. They were touring right after John Lennon got killed. I remember his death hit me very hard. The Beatles were one of those groups that had become a part of my life. Queen did a tribute to him that night that brought the house down and had the sweet thing swaying beside me in tears. It was one of those moments you never forget. All this came back to me as I started watching this dvd. About half way through it, they slow down and do some acoustic stuff. The first song in that set (Love Of My Life) has Brian May doing some great work on his Ovation 12 string. The cameramen did a good job of capturing some of the fingerwork too. That song and the stroll down memory lane were worth the price of admission for me. I must have replayed it 3 times before watching the rest of the show.

There are a few guitarists that I heard when I was young that really made me appreciate the guitar. Brian May was certainly of them. I got to thinking about this song and a couple off my Jim Croce dvd. I only have 3 music dvd's and Ovations are on two of them. It would be fun to compile a dvd of Ovation players both past and present. I'm starting to see that there is some great stuff out there now. It's great that you can now enjoy cd quality audio along with the video.

sorry for the ramble....reminiscing does that to a guy :D

peace,
mark
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Slipkid
Posted 2003-11-29 3:09 PM (#200367 - in reply to #200366)
Subject: Re: Brian May on his Ovation 12 string

Hello Mark,
All these DVD music concerts coming out is fantastic. I have been a Who fan for as long as it matters. I now have the Isle of Wight concert which reflects the first concert I saw in 1970 along with the Royal Albert Hall DVD which was Entwistles last show. Also, The Kids Are Alright movie has been completely restored in 5.1 Dolby.
The Pete Townshend / Lifehouse DVD has him playing acustic if front of a symphony. The Royal Albert Hall also has some acustic numbers. I know.....Pete does not play an Ovation. Did you know that the scientific community along with the World Health Organization (W.H.O.) and the U.N. has prohibited Pete Townshend from every picking up an Ovation? It's something about a matter / anti-matter end of the world thing if Pete ever let loose on an all powerful roundback.
I have seen the Queen DVD at the store & it is on my Christmas list. There is also a Stephen Stills DVD out there.
Now we can be like the old farts who used to say "They just don't make music like that anymore." But this time, my kids agree.
Rock On....
Brad
Mark1960
Posted 2003-11-29 6:25 PM (#200368 - in reply to #200366)

Hi Brad...

I agree about all the concert dvd's out there now. I think my next will be The Allman Brothers (not sure of the name but it's recorded at the Beacon Theater) ...or will it be Stevie Ray Vaughn's great Austin City Limit's show? It makes for a cheap and enjoyable evening really. It's only 15 bucks and a small piece of music history is yours forever.

I used to rattle the walls in my barracks listening to the Who when I was in W. Germany. Some days it was like a stereo war. Luckily I had a room at the end of the building. Lots of us had killer stereos back then. I wish I still had those Bose 901's.

Mark

ps... Brian does "Is This The World We Created" on a nylon string guitar right after the other song I mentioned. It's great too.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-11-29 11:10 PM (#200369 - in reply to #200366)

My wife and I just got a DVD player a couple of months ago....two of the first DVDs we got were Heart's "The Road Home" and "Live In Seattle". Both have Ann and Nancy playing Ovations, although Ann plays it for only one song on the Seattle video. On "The Road Home", Nancy plays the same guitar(appears to be a blue Custom Legend 12-string shallow-bowl) for several songs and Ann plays a white Elite or Adamas for a couple of songs.
BruDeV
Posted 2003-11-30 3:31 PM (#200370 - in reply to #200366)

If you like SRV, I would recommend the "Live at the El Mocambo" DVD.
cliff
Posted 2003-12-01 7:59 AM (#200371 - in reply to #200366)

Suggested "stocking stuffer" DVD's:

"David Gilmour Live" kicks ASS! Predominantly "acoustic" but with an excellent back-up band/choir.

Jethro Tull "Living With the Past" DVD has great live footage in a large theatre setting as well as in a tiny little "blues pub" and in Andersons's living room (with a string quartet).

Led Zeppelin's "How The West Was Won" DVD is good if you're into the band. I've always found Page to be a bit sloppy and overrated, but the DVD does have it's moments. I basically bought it for "Since I've Been Loving You" and the acoustic set.

The recently released George Harrison tribute "Concert for George" I highly recommend!
Clapton, McCartney, Ringo, Jeff Lynnne, Joe Brown, Gary Brooker, Tom Petty, Billy Preston, Jim Capaldi, Jim Keltner, Andy Fairweather-Low, Jools Holland, Jim Horn, Albert Lee, Chris Stainton, Michael Kamen and a slew of other great musicians on one stage . . . what's not t'like?
Seriously, a great DVD.
Mark1960
Posted 2003-12-01 8:41 AM (#200372 - in reply to #200366)

DVD stocking stuffers....I like that idea :)

I picked up John Denver's The Wildlife Concert the other night. It was very good as well if you liked his music. It breaks here and there to him talking about the things he loves. I had a lot of respect for him.

"Led Zeppelin's "How The West Was Won" DVD is good if you're into the band."

The same goes for the Queen dvd. I know they aren't for everyone but they created a whole new sound and were very popular during my high school years. I imagine We Will Rock You has been played at more sporting events than any other single song. They were great technicians/musicians. I agree about Jimmy Page but I did listen to Led Zepp a lot growing up. The Jethro Tull, George Harrison and SRV dvd's are definitely on my list.

thanks guys...
mark
alpep
Posted 2003-12-01 9:47 AM (#200373 - in reply to #200366)

I guess you would not consider my selections of
the complete works of jenna jamison and carmen electra.

btw if you do not have spinal tap get the special edition it was the first dvd I ever got.
cliff
Posted 2003-12-01 9:54 AM (#200374 - in reply to #200366)

Al;

I'm a BIG fan of Jenna's early (pre-surgery) work!
GREAT soundtracks too!! I ALWAYS respect a well-placed "wah-wah" punctuating a "money shot"!!! LOL!!!

OH!! I almost forgot! . . . "A Mighty Wind"!!
Fucking BRILLIANT!!!!
willard
Posted 2003-12-01 2:15 PM (#200375 - in reply to #200366)

Didn't she have hair back then?

Best of Show is also quite good!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)