The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OptiMax Preamp

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Bob Mintus
Posted 2003-11-30 6:56 AM (#200320)
Subject: OptiMax Preamp

I'm looking at a guitar with the OptiMax Preamp. Couldn't find any info on it on the Ovation site. Any Info/Comments?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-11-30 12:43 PM (#200321 - in reply to #200320)
Subject: Re: OptiMax Preamp

I believe the Optimax was made in conjunction with Telex, and combined an onboard miniature condenser mic with the bridge piezo. It has a blend control for mixing the mic and pickup signals according to taste.

I have only seen this preamp on the 1995 Collectors', and figured there was probably a good reason why Ovation offered it only once.

But it does offer a crisp condenser sound which might be great for recording. The feedback potential is self-evident when using the mic in high sound pressure level environments. With the preamp cranked to the mic side, waving the guitar over a loud monitor is a really bad idea.....

That it is basically a good idea is evidenced by the success of Fishman's Blender preamp, which seems pretty much the same thing.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-11-30 12:44 PM (#200322 - in reply to #200320)

.... i.e., the PREAMP is a good idea, not waving your guitar over the monitor. :eek:
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-11-30 2:35 PM (#200323 - in reply to #200320)

I had the Telex bridge mike installed on my custom order guitar, but I did not want the Optimax, mostly for the reasons PB stated. Having both the mike & piezo on the same output is asking for trouble. On mine the piezo goes via an Op50 and the mike goes straight out with no onboard controls. Because they go to independant channels on the console I can blend in a little of the mike with the piezo in the main PA, but keep the mike out of the monitor mix. Also they can have independant EQ & reverb. Given a good sound system in a good room it works very well.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-11-30 10:43 PM (#200324 - in reply to #200320)

Paul T: interesting concept! Do you run a stereo cable out of the guitar, or two separate outputs?
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-01 2:36 AM (#200325 - in reply to #200320)

The Piezo has the standard Op50 balanced & unbalanced outs, the mike has an independant XLR
out, so I use 2 separate balanced cables.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-12-01 9:18 AM (#200326 - in reply to #200320)

That would seem a versatile setup, tho a back looking like a rounded tummy with a couple too many navels.
willard
Posted 2003-12-01 9:58 AM (#200327 - in reply to #200320)

That '95 Collectors's sure is a pretty guitar. Does anyone know how thay sound.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-12-01 11:12 AM (#200328 - in reply to #200320)

Interesting question, but difficult to answer with precision. It is a well made USA Ovation guitar, and can be expected to sound good. But as CWK has pointed out on this forum, they just won't all sound the same.

I don't particularly like the OptiMax preamp, and it seems Ovation didn't either. New preamps have often made their debut on Collectors' guitars before becoming stock on other USA models. But as best I know, the OptiMax only got used on the '95 Collectors and the Mandocello.

The TS preamp on the '97 Collectors' also seems to have had very limited application, and the HexFex preamp from the '96 wasn't around long, either.
Bob Mintus
Posted 2003-12-01 7:54 PM (#200329 - in reply to #200320)

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I was looking at a 95 Collector's Edition on e-bay. The guitar appeared to be in nice shape, but I was kind of wary of the OptiMax.

It ended up going for about $380. Maybe I should take that as a sign...
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-12-02 2:14 AM (#200330 - in reply to #200320)

I bid on that guitar and followed that auction. FWIW, I would be happy to buy that guitar for $380. I think it is more of a sign that the eBay market is unpredictable. A lot of it has to do with how the guitar is presented and the credentials of the seller. I think if Al or I listed that guitar that the bidding would have gone higher.

To the point: if you can get that guitar for anything close to $380 it is a really good buy. It is a USA made Ovation with a primo top and a good, if quirky, preamp. That is a fine price for a guitar with its features one buys to play.

My wariness is that of a reseller, not a player. If you can get it for $380, I recommend going for it and begging for a deal on the shipping. :D
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)