The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Bracing is visible through the top-1996 CS

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Mark1960
Posted 2003-11-30 8:35 AM (#200315)
Subject: Bracing is visible through the top-1996 CS

I have a 1996 Collector's series with the transparent burgundy finish that reminds me of a fine auto finish...it looks almost wet when polished and very deep. It's a beautiful guitar but that high gloss finish allows you to see the bracing pattern when you look across the top. You don't really notice it looking straight at it. From what I have read in the archives, other owners of this guitar have the same waves. Is this a relatively common thing in other models as well or just 'A' braced, high gloss models? I know it's not really considered a defect but I'm probably going to sell it to help finance an FD-14 that I just bought and feel I should be up front about it. It may not bother some but would others. I just wanted to know how to respond to questions about it should they come up.

thanks,
mark
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2003-11-30 4:06 PM (#200316 - in reply to #200315)
Subject: Re: Bracing is visible through the top-1996 CS

You can sometimes also see this on black finished guitars. Dave
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-11-30 4:53 PM (#200317 - in reply to #200315)

"but that high gloss finish allows you to see the bracing pattern when you look across the top"

Actually the finish accentuates the visibility of the pattern but it's really because of how thin the top really is. I initially thought this Legend in black I saw at a GC was flawed until I was very embarrassingly corrected by someone who knows (when I asked about it) that it is indeed the thin top. Until then I had not realized how thin the tops were. I was also amazed how thin the textured top Adamas top is. Very impressive.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2003-11-30 9:31 PM (#200318 - in reply to #200315)

Mark, I have a picture in the gallery of my 1975 Custom Balladeer. You can see the braces in the picture. I remember the first time I saw that, it really is cool.
Mark1960
Posted 2003-11-30 9:47 PM (#200319 - in reply to #200315)

Thanks Paul...I did check it out. I appreciate the feedback from everyone. It's not a big deal to me but I know how some people are about such things. I'm going to hold off on selling it for a little while. It's a beautiful guitar and I know I won't come close to getting what it is worth on ebay.

thanks,
mark
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)