The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation Bad Reputation

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-12-02 7:47 AM (#200224)
Subject: Ovation Bad Reputation

Last Saturday I had the opportunity to play with another "Elder Care" Music Ministry. I was introduced to the leader of the group who was playing an Alvarez Classical guitar (very nice) and when I pulled out my 2001 Collector's Redwood, he said:
"Oh, an Ovation, very pretty!.. Is it a REAL Ovation or one of those knock-off models like the Celebrity or Applause"! :mad:

No, I didn't slug him, but politely informed him that it was indeed a USA Legitimate Ovation.. I even let him play it and boy was he was IMPRESSED! :D

So, it would seem that even among "part-time" players, they know the difference between the USA models and the Korean.... what can be done to repair a damaged reputation? :confused:

tim
Top of the page Bottom of the page
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-12-02 7:50 AM (#200225 - in reply to #200224)
Subject: Re: Ovation Bad Reputation

dunno... lemme think... put the 'tupperware' logo on the headstock of the asian models?

:)

Martin
alpep
Posted 2003-12-02 8:11 AM (#200226 - in reply to #200224)

Well this topic has been hashed out over and over.

Having the Ovation name on the headstock sells units but does not help the quality reputation.

IMHO it was a mistake to change from celebrity to Ovation but I am sure they sell more guitars now.
Beal
Posted 2003-12-02 8:26 AM (#200227 - in reply to #200224)

Al, I agree with you however let me add something here. All Fenders, from the ghandi strats to the taco teles have always said Fender on the headstock. Doesn't seem to hurt them any. The problem is that the name Ovation doesn't carry as much weight as Fender. That comes back to Marketing, endorsees, general consumer opinion of the product and all that. The name on the peghead isn't really the problem, it's much bigger than that.

Putting Ovation on the peghead instead of Celibacy of Applesause had a much bigger impact in Foreign markets and was the right way to go.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-12-02 8:28 AM (#200228 - in reply to #200224)

I agree Al, but it starts you wondering when you get hit with it in person.... sort of like hearing a real bigot in person... no matter how much we talk the truth, they just won't listen....

Maybe Ovation needs to have a National "Play An Ovation" week in all of their dealer's shops... invite the guitar playing public to come on in and try it... that should break at least a few prejudices!

tim
alpep
Posted 2003-12-02 8:33 AM (#200229 - in reply to #200224)

Flendor started with using Squire and now they only use flendor but it has a clear mark of where they are made.

Ovations have the bowls saying made in usa and the tag of the guitar saying made in korea. it is true but not easy for the average person to ascertain country of orgin. Also easy for a shady sales person to misrepresent the guitar.

There are many factors here at play. I don't have the answers I just sell gear, In fact I was told that I should keep out of this sort of discussion.
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-12-02 8:52 AM (#200230 - in reply to #200224)

AFAIK fender still uses the squier brand, but maybe this is only for foreign markets like europe.

martin
Slipkid
Posted 2003-12-02 9:15 AM (#200231 - in reply to #200224)

CWK2,
Is a "Celibacy" prohibited from playing the F chord?
Brad
stonebobbo
Posted 2003-12-02 10:44 AM (#200232 - in reply to #200224)

From my perspective, the issue arises because the Korean Ovations are high-quality, well-crafted instruments. The Applause are clearly marked, there should be no confusion (a la Squire/Fender). The Celebrities are very good guitars ... they have the same bowls, same elctronics, very similar neck contruction to their USA brethren, quality tuning machines, and they are put together very well. The most significant difference is the quality of the wood top, which most average guitar buyers can't hear anyway.

I'm happy that the Celebs are so good. It is an opportunity to show how truly special the guitars from New Hartford really are. The "damaged reputation" can apply to most guitars companies ... Fender had a major problem in the 80's (including especially their US Strats) and overcame it, I suspect Martin and Taylor will soon have the same issues ("is that a real Martin or one of the cheap ones?"). I think Ovation is ahead of the curve on this one. But it comes back to what cwk2 said ... it comes down to marketing, endorsees, and general public opinion.
Slipkid
Posted 2003-12-02 12:10 PM (#200233 - in reply to #200224)

Stonebobo stated it perfectly. To the vast majority it don't make a difference.
I almost pulled the trigger on a new Celebrity "Limited Edition" last month. It looked and played great. For a second guitar that I will be taking out of the house it might have been perfect for me. (It was sold two days later). There is alot of people out there who will settle for nothing less than second best. That's okay.
As for the bigots and the salespeople who like to hear themselves talk? They have been around us since we were kids. Sometimes I think adult life is just tall grade school.
Brad
Steve
Posted 2003-12-02 12:43 PM (#200234 - in reply to #200224)

question....do the celebrity's and applauses have the 5-piece necks? To me that is the most substantial difference in the guitar; the 5-piece necks are rock-hard solid have a dramatic effect on sustain...

steve
Mario
Posted 2003-12-02 12:49 PM (#200235 - in reply to #200224)

They don't have 5 piece necks, but then niether do Balladeers! Like mentioned before it's mainly in the top, ply or solid.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-12-02 5:53 PM (#200236 - in reply to #200224)

A thought on the difference between Ovation and Fender as to perception on non-U.S.-made models....my thinking is that acoustic guitar buyers tend to be more traditional in their thinking than electric buyers. So using the same brand name on U.S. and non-U.S. made guitars will affect an acoustic guitar brand more than a primarily electric brand.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)